Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ho-made down pipe

Ho-made down pipe

Here is the DP I made from the pipe and steel I bought from a vendor from here on the board. No laughing, however! I am not a welder; I am a guy who adheres two pieces of metal together using a welder (barely).

I am using a used Turbonetics Evolution External WG. Let me know what you guys think.

-Les
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	7633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	7634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	465.4 KB 
ID:	7635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	7636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	305.7 KB 
ID:	7637  

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Ho-made down pipe

Wow, that looks really nice.

boostaholic

That doesnt look to bad at all.

Thanks! Welding the inside of the pipe on the short side radius sucked. Any pointers on how to do that?

-Les

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

looks good. just make sure you port that wastegate hole in the turbine housing heavily so that it flows enough.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Is that a good place to vent/feed the external wastegate?

Looks good though,

I would make sure you use the correct springs for the minimum opening, looks like it wil be a b*tch to get at later. BTW, the instructions are wrong for the springs, I found that one out the hard way, lol!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I really don't know if it is the best configuration. I do know that making it was pretty inexpensive, so if I have to change something it won't cost a ton of money. Hey, if it doesn't work I'll try something else. I am planning to vent the WG further down, but not reintroduce it to the main exhaust dp.
    This is a 7 psi spring, so we'll see how it works out.

-Les

the only better way that i can see to integrate an external wastegate to the turbine housing is to bore a hole tangential to the curvature of the turbine housing and weld in a pipe with a flange. basically make the wastegate inline with the exhaust flow so that expelling the gasses are easier. you have it at a right angle which will work but youll have to make sure all the passages from the turbine housing are ported enough that you dont get creep.

heres a thought that i just had about wastegates integrated back into the downpipe.... pipe it so that the dump tube is welded into the DP similar to an exhaust evac system... so the exhaust potentially draws vacuum when the wastegate is open, drawing the gasses out better.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I think you are right about the angle; the air has to make a 180 to waste, but I was limited on room. We'll see if it works, but if not I'll make changes.

BTW Simon, I put the engine in the van this morning and all looks good. I have to take the DP off to make a small adjustment, but it shouldn't be that hard to take off.

-Les

turbo addict

Looks professionally made.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    I think you are right about the angle; the air has to make a 180 to waste, but I was limited on room. We'll see if it works, but if not I'll make changes.

BTW Simon, I put the engine in the van this morning and all looks good. I have to take the DP off to make a small adjustment, but it shouldn't be that hard to take off.

-Les
    Cool, keep us posted and more pics.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

-Les
    i'm sure it'll work fine. may be a pain to change the starter in car though....

The only problem I had with putting the starter on was having to wrap it with heat shielding after I had it into position. I had to take the heat shielding off to remove the solenoid wiring because I kinda have to manuever it into place, then reroute the wiring.
    I have very little left to do. I ran out of gas for the welder, so I have to take the bottle in tomorrow. I'll just weld the O2 into place at work. I took the DP off in about 10 minutes before I sat the van off the jack stands; it wasn't too bad.
    I put the new radiator in this afternoon. I don't have much room, but it is going to work well. I have to figure out hoses for the top and bottom.

yeah more or less. i dunno if id put it there or lower down.

i wonder if it would make a difference if it was on the inside or the outside dia of the bend.

Brian

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Nice arrangement Way to make a TIII/univerasal housing work on a TI/TII manifold Can you get any more heat out of your welder or are you maxed out? If she's pegged on WOT, slow down your wire some for a little better penetration.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    If she's pegged on WOT, slow down your wire some for a little better penetration.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

One track mind Simon

Didn't occur to me when I wrote it it *could* be perverted by a certain kinda individual Fatherhood hasn't tamed your urges much I see

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    One track mind Simon

Didn't occur to me when I wrote it it *could* be perverted by a certain kinda individual Fatherhood hasn't tamed your urges much I see
    Hehehehe. I had a kid, I am not dead,

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    yeah more or less. i dunno if id put it there or lower down.

i wonder if it would make a difference if it was on the inside or the outside dia of the bend.

Brian
    inside it runs down a bit before terminating, so it exits before the next bend. due to packaging there really wasn't any other way....

realistically, to do it right the pipe would need to reduce in diameter to increase gas speed, but then i'd have a restriction!

btw, here's a pie cut piece i just did for an i/c bend. 100* with 5 20* sections. it is very smooth inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast