Thread: 11" front brakes

Hybrid booster

Red face 11" front brakes

I am sure this has been covered before and I did do a quick search, but didnt find very much.
    what exactly do I need to convert my 89 lebaron to 11" front brakes?
    I promise to write it down this time

turbo addict

Re: 11" front brakes

Need the spindles, calipers and rotors for the front brakes. Need the MC and prop valve, And you need the backingplates, ebrake hardware, caliper's and rotors for the rear. Get it all as it's meant as a complete kit and will be way front biased just doing the fronts.

Hybrid booster

cool... what cars do I look for in the salvage yard for these parts?

Hybrid booster

ok..... what cars have 11" brakes, that can easily bolt on to my lebaron

anyone, anyone ..... bueller, bueller?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

'89-up LeBaron GTC (the later GTCs got spotty as to which ones had 11s, some did, some didn't)
    '89-up Daytona Shelby/IROC/IROC R/T
    '89-up Daytona ES (not all of them had 11s)
    '91-'92 Spirit R/T

Also the '89-'90 stuff is a different setup then the '91-up stuff.

There is also a way to do some junkyard engineering to get a setup, even if there are no 11" disc cars there, because minivans had 11s, but big bolt pattern, if you want details on this LMK.

If you are just doing the fronts, you do not need the Prop Valve, you will just need the Master Cylinder. The 24MM MC used on 11" disc cars, is on ALL Minivans. It has a "4" cast into the front of it on top.

If you have 10" rear disc on your LeBaron, and you want to get 11" rear discs, you would not need to get the Prop Valve, only if you have drums in the rear and you are swapping to discs in the rear, would you need the Prop Valve from a rear disc car.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

He said easily,

Find a 90 or older Shelby Z, rob the knuckles, calipers and rotors. There easy to tell as all 90 and older 11 inch setups had the caliper and pad ears molded as one unit, vs other models have removable stuff.

Vans, 90 and older, look for a Grand Mini or large bolt pattern-grab everything then use a car hub setup and rotors.

To use 91 and newer, you must swap out the K-member if you don't have the dual pivot control arms.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    He said easily,

Find a 90 or older Shelby Z, rob the knuckles, calipers and rotors. There easy to tell as all 90 and older 11 inch setups had the caliper and pad ears molded as one unit, vs other models have removable stuff.

Vans, 90 and older, look for a Grand Mini or large bolt pattern-grab everything then use a car hub setup and rotors.

To use 91 and newer, you must swap out the K-member if you don't have the dual pivot control arms.

yes, I said easily..... and by this, I mean bolting on parts. I have done brake conversions on many Mustang Fox body cars and converted my 89 Crown Vic to larger front brakes and rear disc brakes.

Can some one explain or better yet show me what a dual pivot control arm is?
    purdy please !

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The dual pivot arms started in 89 or 90 and they have two actual pivot points. The earlier cars had the front pivot point, and the rear stub portion. If your car has the two round bushings that attach to the K frame that should be it.

http://www.polybushings.com/pages/1020instruc1.html

In figure eight on this page you can see the stamped dual pivot control arm. If it were not dual pivot then it would have a stub coming off of the rear of it. The cast arm is cast like it's name implies.

Quote Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
    yes, I said easily..... and by this, I mean bolting on parts. I have done brake conversions on many Mustang Fox body cars and converted my 89 Crown Vic to larger front brakes and rear disc brakes.

!

EVERYTHING bolts on, some takes a little more work,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

RIMS

I put the 11" brakes all the way around on my Turbo Z only to find that my rims didn't clear the front calipers with new pads installed. Some factory 15" rims will clear, some will not. I made my wagons clear by grinding the calipers.

I had the same problem with the 11" fronts on my Rampage with Daytona knuckles using my Centurions on it, so I tried the grinding thing, and it helped a little, but not enough for me to really like it, so I swapped everything back to the the SC knuckles and went Minivan fronts and had no problems. In truth, if you can't find any cars with the 11" setup, I have a complete extra set sitting in my garage. Let me know if you are interested.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    EVERYTHING bolts on, some takes a little more work,
    Not everything bolts on.... some requires cutting, welding, a BFH and lots of cursing.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

What Simon said.

Quote Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
    Not everything bolts on.... some requires cutting, welding, a BFH and lots of cursing.
    Nope, all the systems bolt on, no cutting or welding required,