Thread: #3 burnt again

boostaholic

#3 burnt again

I just came in from removing the head on my '91 Daytona (2.5 T1 w/added factory intercooler). When I bought the car it had melted #3, which was why it was being sold. So I plop a fresh .020 over short block in it, clean up the head, and put it all back together. I drove it for some time just straight stock, then a few months later added the intercooler. That helped with some ping and helped stabilize boost. Barely did this thing make 7psi. A couple months after installing the cooler it burned #3 again.

So anyhow, I thought I had read somewhere about #3 being a problem for these cars. Ideas? I did not change the injectors....and don't recall if they went back in the same holes they came out of. I would tend to believe I did put them back the same way (I'm just like that). So maybe a set of injectors is in order? What do you guys have to say?

Hybrid booster

Re: #3 burnt again

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,

boostaholic

Ohhhhh KAYYYYY....................TTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHAAA AAAAANNNNKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSS

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would certainly look at the injectors if it has burnt the same piston twice in a row at that low of boost. I would also look at the head to see how much it has been shaved. I would think it to be relatively difficult to toast a piston at 7PSI on a stock cal.

I'd vote for injector. Pics?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

That blows Josh! Sorry about that. I do have a question but not sure if it's on topic... Can you Brandon and Scotty still sleep in the Daytona with a burnt piston

Hey, at least I made you laugh

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    I'd vote for injector. Pics?
    I'll get some up later today. This one is melted at the 12 o'clock position (standing in front of the car looking down in) and is about an inch wide and 1/4 inch into the piston. Roughly the same as before. I've got running around to do, so I'll get pics later this afternoon.

The head has had a valve job once in it's life (I have every receipt for the car's entire life). Not sure yet if it was milled. It's gonna get it this time though....that is if it's serviceable.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I do have a question but not sure if it's on topic... Can you Brandon and Scotty still sleep in the Daytona with a burnt piston

Hey, at least I made you laugh
    Oh...hardy har har.

Mitsu booster

I sure would look at the fuel rail and all the injectors. A temporary lean condition would do that. It might be coincidental that it's on the same cylinder too. Just a thought. Injector wiring harness and ground would be good to check too.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by mwrenn View Post
    I sure would look at the fuel rail and all the injectors. A temporary lean condition would do that. It might be coincidental that it's on the same cylinder too. Just a thought. Injector wiring harness and ground would be good to check too.
    Yeah...I'm gonna ohm out the wires and do a 'wiggle' test

boostaholic

Pics. I have not taken it out yet. Luckily I discovered I happen to have 3 other cast 2.5 .020 over pistons. Just need to get a set of rings.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Same thing happened to mine when I melted a piston a bit over a year ago. Looked about the same, maybe not as big a melt even though I drove it for a decent amount to get the car home...

Sucks
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

boostaholic

Meh...could be worse. It will live again soon. I just need it long enough to releave the 'S long enough to build and install the new motor. Got my new turbo and Wiseco's sitting next to me....

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Change injectors
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Injectors or bad/wrong timing, maybe even crappy fuel. If its pinging at 7 psi, something is out of whack. What did the AF guage say?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Injectors or bad/wrong timing, maybe even crappy fuel. If its pinging at 7 psi, something is out of whack. What did the AF guage say?
    No AF gauge at the time. I have installed one while it's been sitting, in preparation for this go 'round. Fuel filter was/is new, same gas I run in my 'S (Chevron 91 always from the same station). I will of course scrutinize timing when it goes back together.

boostaholic

Check your intake for warpage + cracks, possible vac leak at # 3.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Bad fuel did that to me on stock boost. Identical. But, this was BAD fuel, like sitting in the tank for a couple years bad.

turbo addict

Send those injectors to witchhunter to be flow tested and clean.