Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +20 potential

Hybrid booster

+20 potential

How much boost should i be able to run with a mostly stock 87 T2? Its got the shelby (T1) bottom end and a G head, everything else is stock.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: +20 potential

I run 20 psi on an 86 bottom end, which has LW rods. So far, knock on wood, no issues w/ a bit of street time and 2 seasons worth of drag passes.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I ran 19-20 psi in my Shelby Lancer for a long time. It was stock '87 TII with 3" exhaust. I had +20s, adjustable fuel pressure regulator at 55 psi base pressure, and an adjustable overboost eliminator. Just make sure you get the highest octane gas you can get (91 or better) and if you go above ~10 psi make sure you have it floored. My engine like to ping if the boost got too high at part throttle.

Hybrid booster

did it make a big difference, stock tranny?

I was using an A568 out of a '90 turbo Caravan. The car made a lot more power, but at that boost level I would say the stock intercooler was holding me back. With that much boost, it was impossible to put it down to the ground unless I was in 3rd or 4th gear. I was using a grainger valve for boost control and had to micro-manage the throttle in the lower gears to keep boost at 12 psi or less to manage wheel spin. Not the best for driveability but it was a rocket on the highway.

Hybrid booster

so do you think it would shred my A-520?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kuzman83 View Post
    The 520 in my csx is still together and it's seen about a year of 20 psi street abuse. The clutch can't hold the power I'm putting through it, so that's probably saving the tranny some.

+1 a 520 is pretty stout. It's OK to about 250 WHP as is, and I was running 300 WHP with a moly plate on the end of one.

With 20 PSI and everything else pretty stock you'll be in the 200-225 WHP range.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

How much boost should i be able to run
    Crank it up until a piston cracks, then back it down just a smidge.

What? Seriously, that's how I set my grainger last time.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuzman83 View Post
    I made over 100 5000+ RPM launches on slicks before the teeth fell off of 2nd gear in my '87 A520 in my '87 CSX Clone Shadow. Runs ~19psi on the dragstrip, has seen 27psi on the highway... +20 injectors and 100 octane.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

That 520 definitely got some good endurance testing JT. Thats what I plan on running in my shelby charger along with a GLHS stage 2 LM and +20's which will be a similar combo to what you would have.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

520's live a lot longer with a 2.2 behind them rather than a 2.5, thats what i've found anyway. They don't like the torque.

I have awful luck with A520s, behind a 2.2L or 2.5L. I went through three before I gave up and went with the A568. All of them made a low grumbly sound any time the car was moving, especially if it was in gear. I think it was the intermediate shaft bearing but never found out for sure.

Hybrid booster

ok one more dumb question but if i were to put in a g valve and set the boost to 19-20 lbs. does that mean its boosting that much all the time. so like when i'm cruising on the highway its boosting at 20 lbs?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

It depends, it can change with load. My shadow runs only ~19psi at the dragstrip all thre way thru 4th gear, but on the highway in 5th it has hit 27psi

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

wait so is this g valve not very accurate?

Hybrid booster

and will i need a 3 bar map sensor

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I made over 100 5000+ RPM launches on slicks before the teeth fell off of 2nd gear in my '87 A520 in my '87 CSX Clone Shadow. Runs ~19psi on the dragstrip, has seen 27psi on the highway... +20 injectors and 100 octane.
    If there was preload on the input shaft bearings the teeth may have fallen off a little later, but it's going to happen eventually.........

Hybrid booster

G-valve is accurate, and the stock 2-bar should work fine. You may need a map diode/grainger so it won't boost cut going higher then 13 psi...

Hybrid booster

then why would badassperformance's spike all the way to 27? is it just the way he has it set? and i have a custom cal'd computer with all the overboost stuff disabled if thats what youre referring to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast