Page 6 of 101 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbonator SMEC codebase

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Turbonator SMEC codebase

@Rob, another question to Turbonator SMEC. You have a variable "ConstantSparkAdvanceWhenSettingMinThrottleOpening " and it is set to 6º meanwhile in Ladybug that would be set to 12º. I am just trying to understand what the effect of this would be and why it is half the advance in your cal as compared to LB.

PS: Googling it I saw that you did comment on this on Page 2 but can't find this post....
    Last edited by MopàrBCN; 06-08-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MopàrBCN View Post
    @Rob, another question to Turbonator SMEC. You have a variable "ConstantSparkAdvanceWhenSettingMinThrottleOpening " and it is set to 6º meanwhile in Ladybug that would be set to 12º. I am just trying to understand what the effect of this would be and why it is half the advance in your cal as compared to LB.

PS: Googling it I saw that you did comment on this on Page 2 but can't find this post....
    Not sure - that's the stock setting. Mabe I've labelled that one wrong? - I'll look into it.

EDIT: One of use just has the scale set wrong. The raw hex value is the same between LB and T-SMEC (0x0c).
    Last edited by ShelGame; 06-10-2008 at 11:45 AM.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

PS: Watch your BOOST. Having the T2 Wastegatecontrol it just does not work well with Turbonator (Which Rob Points out!!).
    I see you are using the G Valve - I didn't and you have seen my turbo.....
    OK, I've been looking at the T3 (Lotus) boost control trying to get a better understanding in general of all the different types that Chrysler used. I think the T1 boost control routine can be use to control the T2 style WG - with one change: The solenoid needs to be plumbed normally closed instead of normally open. And, the WG DC tables will still need some tuning. I did write a routine to use the T2 style WG with a normally closed WG solenoid, but I'm not sure it's necessary.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

Could I use this cal and adjust it to +20 injectors? Also, I am running a stock garret turbo off of a t2 engine, what would I have to adjust to account for this? I have a 89 daytona that currently has a 2.5l 5spd running on 2.2 electronics. Thanks.

Sure. USe CheM2 to adjust for the injectors automatically.

Not much would need to be changed for the Garret, really. Probably just some tuning of the 2 wastegate duty cycle tables.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

ok cool, is it okay to use a grainger valve with this cal?

Quote Originally Posted by shmiggz View Post
    ok cool, is it okay to use a grainger valve with this cal?
    Of course...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Rob,

Can you explain running this batch file to set the mtx bit. I guess I still have alot to learn about this stuff. I do know what a batch file is, but I dont have any clue where to find it. Also, what program are you using for your assemblies, chem? I can't seem to get this function to do anything in chem, and I dont have any idea what it does. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben Huebner
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Quote Originally Posted by TopDollar69 View Post
    Rob,

Can you explain running this batch file to set the mtx bit. I guess I still have alot to learn about this stuff. I do know what a batch file is, but I dont have any clue where to find it. Also, what program are you using for your assemblies, chem? I can't seem to get this function to do anything in chem, and I dont have any idea what it does. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben Huebner
    What do you mean? The MTX flag in the cal, or the MTX switch in the assembler?

The MTX switch in the assembler sets ALL of the constants/tables/rtc. to the MTX value. Simply setting it in the cal only tells a couple of functions to do something a little differently due to the trans type. If you want a full MTX setup, you'll want to assemble it that way.

To do that, you'll need to open the .asm file in a text editor and scroll down to where the trans switches are (near the top) and set the MTX == 0 to MTX == 1 (and ATX == 1 needs to go to ATX == 0).

Then, you'll need the SMEC specific assembler that Geoff created (should come with CHeM2, I think). Copy it into the same folder as your source, and then run the batch file. You'll get a bunch of Turbonator_SMEC_V13.xxx files. These are your files with the build switches you setup.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Rob any updates on the smec stuff you just got from Jason?

Haven't really had a chance to go over it yet. I need to figure out the pricing, and see how many I can order/build...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Where in the RPM range? I just noticed you're also using the 2.2 knock threshold - it's different from the 2.5 and more sensitive in the lower RPM area and very high RPM area. But, it's also less sensitive in the mid-to-upper RPM. So, it depends on where you're getting knock, I guess - but that could be it.
    by this statement, do you mean if you had a 2.2 car and installed a 2.5, yet using the 2.2 knock sensor it would be different? or that the computer is calibrated to detect different amounts of knock as be more severe in one engine verses the other. Im trying to track down some knock im getting for a 2.5 mtx cel mod cal and trying to see why it comes on only once and a while and how bad it is, i do not have a scanner though so its hard to know how bad it actually is

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    by this statement, do you mean if you had a 2.2 car and installed a 2.5, yet using the 2.2 knock sensor it would be different? or that the computer is calibrated to detect different amounts of knock as be more severe in one engine verses the other. Im trying to track down some knock im getting for a 2.5 mtx cel mod cal and trying to see why it comes on only once and a while and how bad it is, i do not have a scanner though so its hard to know how bad it actually is

Same sensor. The sensor is really just a piezo micrphone. It output a voltage relative the the amount of sound it measures. The computer is calibrated as to what voltage output from the sensor is read as actual knock. The 2.2 and 2.5 are different.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Same sensor. The sensor is really just a piezo micrphone. It output a voltage relative the the amount of sound it measures. The computer is calibrated as to what voltage output from the sensor is read as actual knock. The 2.2 and 2.5 are different.
    thanks for clearing that up, i really liked that MoparBCN was nice enough to do a great review and help you with out with the fine tuning still want to install this into my car, just waiting for all the bugs to get fixed, since im pretty new and not quite sure on adjusting the graphs in dcal and such.

Thanks

Talking about reviewing, I have to recap on the Boostcontrol issue!

As some of you might know from other threads, I had blown my turbo quite badly.
    There was a moment I was considering that part of this problem was me using Turbonator.

I WAS WRONG ON THIS ASSUMPTION!

After every thing was taken apart it turned out that one of the principal reasons for it to blow was a jamming Wastegate Puck inside the Swingvalve.

With this, any type of Boostcontrol just could not have worked!!! Not even a G-Valve.

Basically the jamming occured or when wide open or when closed. It needed Exceptional Force to then move in either direction. This explaines why at times I just had no boost or it went all the way up to 20psi. It rarely overboosted because I had Overboost set to 21PSI and usually 18-20 psi were sufficient to eventually open the puck.

There was a chain of other reasons for the turbo to blow eventually all to do with failures in the hardware around the turbo.

I need to stress this now.

I even think, besides Rob claims it can't work (which is wise, everybody should do this at his own risk!!!!), that it would have worked well otherwise.
    I say this because there were moments where it stayed perfectly within it's bounds in both boost modes (high and low).

All I did was aligning the FullThrottleWastegateDutyCycle_C8is100Percent_From Map Graph to match with the corresponding T2 Graph in Ladybug60 (they are inverse).

I will retest everything when my rebuilt is ready which might be this week!
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Talking about reviewing, I have to recap on the Boostcontrol issue!

As some of you might know from other threads, I had blown my turbo quite badly.
    There was a moment I was considering that part of this problem was me using Turbonator.

I WAS WRONG ON THIS ASSUMPTION!

After every thing was taken apart it turned out that one of the principal reasons for it to blow was a jamming Wastegate Puck inside the Swingvalve.

With this, any type of Boostcontrol just could not have worked!!! Not even a G-Valve.

Basically the jamming occured or when wide open or when closed. It needed Exceptional Force to then move in either direction. This explaines why at times I just had no boost or it went all the way up to 20psi. It rarely overboosted because I had Overboost set to 21PSI and usually 18-20 psi were sufficient to eventually open the puck.

There was a chain of other reasons for the turbo to blow eventually all to do with failures in the hardware around the turbo.

I need to stress this now.

I even think, besides Rob claims it can't work (which is wise, everybody should do this at his own risk!!!!), that it would have worked well otherwise.
    I say this because there were moments where it stayed perfectly within it's bounds in both boost modes (high and low).

All I did was aligning the FullThrottleWastegateDutyCycle_C8is100Percent_From Map Graph to match with the corresponding T2 Graph in Ladybug60 (they are inverse).

I will retest everything when my rebuilt is ready which might be this week!

Actually, I've looked at the different types of boost control now. I think it will work as-is - BUT - It needs to be plumbed like the T3 system, instead of the T2. They are similar, but the T3 is a normally open type system. That is, the WG can sees manifold pressure when the solenoid is not powered. The solenoid is then set to 100% duty cycle most of the time by the software. It works exactly the same as the T2, but it is still a fail-safe system in that you still have WG can boost control if/when the solenoid fails. You will want to copy the WG tables from the T3 instead of the T1 or T2. And, I'm sure they will need some tuning.

The reason you can't simply copy the T2 tables is becasue the adaptives will be working the opposite direction. It might work, but on long pulls you will find your boost falling off rather than holding steady (I suspect).

I wrote a new boost control routine so that regular T2 style boost control can be used. It will be in the next release of T-SMEC. I also wrote a routine similar to the T3 boost control that I have tried. My results were mixed. When plumbed like the T1 system, it works excellent. But, when plumbed like the T3, the boost is slow to rise. I don't understand this, actually. I think it must be plumbing related since the WG Duty cycle is set to 100% (in this case, the WG can should see no MAP signal). Anyway, it needs more work, and the T2 needs to be tested. Once I get at least the T2 system working, I will post v13.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hi, now that you are at it, I have another quick one for you:

I as well as some more users have had the knock issue up from 10 PSI around 3500 RPM after all in part throttle. Now, I have partly solved this issue in retarding the timing advance each 2º more at at 14PSI (AdvanceWarmFullThrottle_FromMap) and at 10PSI (AdvanceWarmPartThrottle_FromMap). This did entirely solve my full throttle issue, but looking at my logs I still saw some knock (though less!) at part throttle. And always up from the mentioned range.

This happened to me as well with Ladybug60!

Today I was looking at those cals again, and I saw this table:

EnrichAdjust_FromMap

And looking at this I noticed, that this raises strong up from -5 PSI to be at its max at around 3PSI where it stays until 10(!) PSI and drops sharply again!!

since the discription says: "Part Throttle Enrichment - Multiplier from MAP. Note: zero is 1.00", I guess that this is applied at part throttle because the timing is much more agressive in this range.

Could here be the problem that it drops at 10PSI ??? - and hence causing the knocking troubles many of us have. It is 1:1 the same in Ladybug60.

THANKS!

turbo addict

Hey guys i just installed this cal in my car and it is running horribly rich i'll review how i have it set up, first off 89 daytona 2.5 TII setup, now running 52lbs injectors and a 3bar. I first started by downloading the asm version(front page) of your cal rob, then i opened the 'text file' and sat the settings for manual trans 2.5, as discussed before, and saved it then opened the .bat file and new files appeard(does everything sound correct here???) then i opened the .bin file though dcal and clicked cal data, used to scale injectors right??? input 52ph, and max boost psi of 20, map type : 3bar. Then hit ok, then clicked the proper boxes for what i wanted, 2 step, antilag, ac enabled, enabled charge temp sensor though configurations flags table. Now i installed it in my car, which i had set to 60(w/o line disconnected from afpr) turned it down to stock 55psi and still was increadably rich, burned my eyes adjusting it. Thoughts on this, i am running a delphi map sensor, shouldnt matter delco/delphi right? i had the injectors cleaned, but the schools machine couldnt flow test them at 52pph, to high i was told, outflowed the machine Anyways my zeitronix is reading 10:1 afr at idle any thoughts here,i tried to coever everything i did for a review, any thoughts guys, should i turn the fp down more, i would hate to lean it out???

Thanks, and great cal and reviews guys

Hi, did you adjust your fuel tables after scaling for injectors? I noted that especially the No Throttle Table is scaled quite rich when scaled by injectors. (At this point have an eye on the part throttle and full throttle tables as well...)

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    Hey guys i just installed this cal in my car and it is running horribly rich i'll review how i have it set up, first off 89 daytona 2.5 TII setup, now running 52lbs injectors and a 3bar. I first started by downloading the asm version(front page) of your cal rob, then i opened the 'text file' and sat the settings for manual trans 2.5, as discussed before, and saved it then opened the .bat file and new files appeard(does everything sound correct here???) then i opened the .bin file though dcal and clicked cal data, used to scale injectors right???
    Nope, in D-Cal, that is for information purposes only. D-Cal doesn't automatically scale for injectors. You'd have to do it all manually. If you open it in CHeM2, there is a function to scale for injectors. FWIW, for v13 I've added the injectro scale function to the batch file (so it will scale for injectors when you assemble it).

input 52ph, and max boost psi of 20, map type : 3bar. Then hit ok, then clicked the proper boxes for what i wanted, 2 step, antilag, ac enabled, enabled charge temp sensor though configurations flags table. Now i installed it in my car, which i had set to 60(w/o line disconnected from afpr) turned it down to stock 55psi and still was increadably rich, burned my eyes adjusting it. Thoughts on this, i am running a delphi map sensor, shouldnt matter delco/delphi right? i had the injectors cleaned, but the schools machine couldnt flow test them at 52pph, to high i was told, outflowed the machine Anyways my zeitronix is reading 10:1 afr at idle any thoughts here,i tried to coever everything i did for a review, any thoughts guys, should i turn the fp down more, i would hate to lean it out???

Thanks, and great cal and reviews guys
    Yeah, it's rich beacuse all of the fuel tables are still set for stock injectors. Load it up in CHeM2 and run the scale for injectors function; it should clean right up.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 6 of 101 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast