Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbonator SMEC codebase

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Turbonator SMEC codebase

HEY MAN. your FIX DID IT !!! It took about 100km but now it's steady idling at 900!!!!!!!!!!
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

The same for 'SSIPRD_ScatterInhibitBelowThisSpeed' - use the ATX value of 0x0033 instead of the MTX value of 0xfe33. This would also inhibit using spark scatter to control idle.
    When I looked at that constant in this code it showed to be 0001 before I changed it.

Hi,

This is how mine looks now. I changed it in code and the previous values were as stated. Then I have rebuild the hole lot and done the Wastegate Adjustments, Fueling etc. in D-Cal/Chem 2...

SSTEMP_TempAboveWhichSparkScatterIsActive:
    .chem 3 n TempAboveWhichSparkScatterIsActive in_desc 0 65535 in Coolant_Temp -200 260 Degrees SSTEMP Temperature_above_which_spark_scatter_is_active
    chem2 byte SSTEMP use "Coolant Temp" -200 260 Degrees "Temperature above which Spark Scatter is active"
    .if ATX
    .byte 0x58
    .endif

.if MTX
    .byte 0x58
    .endif

SSIPRD_ScatterInhibitBelowThisSpeed:
    .chem 4 n ScatterInhibitBelowThisSpeed in_desc 0 65535 in Y 0 255 out SSIPRD Spark_Scatter
    chem2 word SSIPRD "Spark Scatter inhibited below this speed."
    .if ATX
    .word 0x0033
    .endif

.if MTX
    .word 0x0033
    .endif
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MopàrBCN View Post
    Hi,

This is how mine looks now. I changed it in code and the previous values were as stated. Then I have rebuild the hole lot and done the Wastegate Adjustments, Fueling etc. in D-Cal/Chem 2...

SSTEMP_TempAboveWhichSparkScatterIsActive:
    .chem 3 n TempAboveWhichSparkScatterIsActive in_desc 0 65535 in Coolant_Temp -200 260 Degrees SSTEMP Temperature_above_which_spark_scatter_is_active
    chem2 byte SSTEMP use "Coolant Temp" -200 260 Degrees "Temperature above which Spark Scatter is active"
    .if ATX
    .byte 0x58
    .endif

.if MTX
    .byte 0x58
    .endif

SSIPRD_ScatterInhibitBelowThisSpeed:
    .chem 4 n ScatterInhibitBelowThisSpeed in_desc 0 65535 in Y 0 255 out SSIPRD Spark_Scatter
    chem2 word SSIPRD "Spark Scatter inhibited below this speed."
    .if ATX
    .word 0x0033
    .endif

.if MTX
    .word 0x0033
    .endif
    Actually, because of the way I sent it up to do the 2.2/2.5, those constants are defined in 2 places each. So, you really need to change all of them. For Turbonator v13, I simply removed the ATX/MTX build swithces so that it will always build the same value regardless. I'll put a note in the .tbl and .calx files on how to change it for road-race duty.

On that note - any requests for v13? I have some ideas, but I'd love to hear more.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

There is one thing:

would it be possible to engage Highboost and Staging mode with one Switch, i.E. A/C Switch. That way one could use the cruise control. The only thing right now, that I really miss is the Cruise Control, which in Turbonator does not seem to work, at least once asigned as a boost switch (and I have not tried another option).

Also one thing that would be really cool would be a Turbo II Switch which would utilize the T2 Wastegatecontrol and Fancontrol. But at this point I must admit I am very happy the way it works!

Monday I will start the long distance test when I go to Germany with the car. This is going to be fun.

There is one thing:

would it be possible to engage Highboost and Staging mode with one Switch, i.E. A/C Switch. That way one could use the cruise control. The only thing right now, that I really miss is the Cruise Control, which in Turbonator does not seem to work, at least once asigned as a boost switch (and I have not tried another option).

Also one thing that would be really cool would be a Turbo II Switch which would utilize the T2 Wastegatecontrol and Fancontrol. But at this point I must admit I am very happy the way it works!

Monday I will start the long distance test when I go to Germany with the car. This is going to be fun.
    Yes, you can use the same switch for staging mode and switchable boost right now. Just select the same switch for each option.

Also, I realized that the 2.2 cal data I copied is from the MP T2 cal. So, the closed loop O2 control is set to bias it toward the rich side. I may change that to use the stock O2 kicks.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

Question Re: Turbonator SMEC codebase

2. Warm Idle:
    Here I was running into problems. Meanwhile the cold idle was perfect, once the car warmed up the idle got up to 2000 RPM and later fell to 1500RPM. This was constantly like this. I did not get any lower idle. Even after a good bit of driving.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Try the fixes noted above. I'm 99% sure that's the idle speed issue and at least part of the idle richness.
    I have the same symptoms, but in your SBEC cal, any chances this can be corrected in the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by starman View Post
    I have the same symptoms, but in your SBEC cal, any chances this can be corrected in the same way?
    No, not likely to be the same issue...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

@starman, ¿que tal?, I think it is important to point out that Idle after a chip swap may need more then 100km of driving to stabalize!!

On Turbonator Issue, once I applied the fix, it only showed to work after more then a 100km of driving!

This info just in case that you recently swapped cals.

Mitsu booster

Yes, indeed after 80 to 100 kms the idle come to normal after swapping cals. Thanks

Rob, I have one more comment:

In my current edit of Turbonator, I have assigned the Cruisecontrol on/off switch for switching between Highboost (on) and Lowboost (off). So far that is functioning great.

The Staging mode I have assigned to the A/C Switch. Now, here it is behaving oposite. With AC OFF the Staing mode is on and with A/C ON the staging mode is off.

Now, I have set up another chip for my trip. Within this I assigned the AC Switch for Highboost and Staging mode. Having realized the way the staging mode is switched, I have set the flag for switching boost polarity to get Highboost, when I want staging. I have not had a chance to test this yet, but I assume, now with the AC Switch off I am getting staging and Highboost. This would mean to drive normally with lowboost I would have to switch the AC Switch ON. BUT, this in turn switches the Ventilator permanently ON, a behavior I would rather like, when in High boost.

Tu cut a long story short, I am not sure, if this is a problem with the AC Switch or with the way the stagin mode is set in the program.

If the stagin mode is per default on, I would turn it off by default, since this is an option you would want to explicitely select as a user.

If in turn it is a problem of the way the AC Switch is interpreted, then I would correct this, because assigning highboost and staging to the AC Switch "ON" has the added benefit, that the ventilator comes on once you select the Switch, which in Highboost and during stagin I see as a benefit!

This only as input from my observations. It is only an opinion! The cal meanwhile works really great!

Rob, I have one more comment:

In my current edit of Turbonator, I have assigned the Cruisecontrol on/off switch for switching between Highboost (on) and Lowboost (off). So far that is functioning great.

The Staging mode I have assigned to the A/C Switch. Now, here it is behaving oposite. With AC OFF the Staing mode is on and with A/C ON the staging mode is off.

Now, I have set up another chip for my trip. Within this I assigned the AC Switch for Highboost and Staging mode. Having realized the way the staging mode is switched, I have set the flag for switching boost polarity to get Highboost, when I want staging. I have not had a chance to test this yet, but I assume, now with the AC Switch off I am getting staging and Highboost. This would mean to drive normally with lowboost I would have to switch the AC Switch ON. BUT, this in turn switches the Ventilator permanently ON, a behavior I would rather like, when in High boost.

Tu cut a long story short, I am not sure, if this is a problem with the AC Switch or with the way the stagin mode is set in the program.

If the stagin mode is per default on, I would turn it off by default, since this is an option you would want to explicitely select as a user.

If in turn it is a problem of the way the AC Switch is interpreted, then I would correct this, because assigning highboost and staging to the AC Switch "ON" has the added benefit, that the ventilator comes on once you select the Switch, which in Highboost and during stagin I see as a benefit!

This only as input from my observations. It is only an opinion! The cal meanwhile works really great!
    That's why I put the polarity option in there. The A/C switch isn't actualy directly connected to the SMEC. That input on the SMEC is from the A/C clutch, which is actived indirectly from the A/C switch on the dash. And - for whatever reason - has opposite polarity to the other switches. I don't know that I'd recommend using that one, actually. Unless you've removed the A/C compressor and directly wire that input to a switch.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Just to understand you right:

If I set the Boostswitchpolarity, this affects all switchable modes or only the boost modes? If it switches all modes then I actually would be fine!

I have taken your point on the AC Switch! In my case I have the AC installed but no belt connected (It jumped off and I did not put it back on). So obviously the clutch sends it signal to the SMEC. But you are right, the more serious into racing folks won't even have their AC equipment installed, which would make the switch useless, although I find the idea interesting wiring a switch, that the smec interprets as clutch engagement!

Another one: Your code would permit cruise control, wouldn't it? It did not work, while I had the boostswitching assigned to it. Today, since I assigned all to the AC Switch, I did not have a chance to test it...

Just to understand you right:

If I set the Boostswitchpolarity, this affects all switchable modes or only the boost modes? If it switches all modes then I actually would be fine!

I have taken your point on the AC Switch! In my case I have the AC installed but no belt connected (It jumped off and I did not put it back on). So obviously the clutch sends it signal to the SMEC. But you are right, the more serious into racing folks won't even have their AC equipment installed, which would make the switch useless, although I find the idea interesting wiring a switch, that the smec interprets as clutch engagement!

Another one: Your code would permit cruise control, wouldn't it? It did not work, while I had the boostswitching assigned to it. Today, since I assigned all to the AC Switch, I did not have a chance to test it...
    NO, actually, the polarity only affects the boost switch. I can add a polarity toggle for the staging limiter to, though.

It's just an input to the SMEC. The SMEC interprets it as whatever you tell it to interpret it as. The A/C can be disabled by a flag, then use the A/C Clutch input as whatever you want.

Cruise should work fine. I didn't modify that from the stock code.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hi, got back today from my 3000 Mile durability Test :-)

- Since most of the problems got sorted out beforehand there is not a lot left to say:

I really only had 2 issues which I am not 100 per cent sure how to tackle those:

1. At high speeds, using 98 Fuel -> above 100mph and more then 10PSI It leaned out and the CEL came on. One possibility I account for is that I am still using the stock fuelrail. When limiting boost to 10psi (mechanically) I could go all the way up to redline (130mph) with no issues, but having said this, I couldn't go any faster either.
    Not sure how to tackle this: An easy fix would be to put more fuel up from 10psi. I definetely will go and put on the TU Fuelrail and finally the AFPR.

2. Boost: Now I know that the Wastegate routines come from a T1 car. So this problem propably does not have a fix for a T2 car.
    -- In Lowboost: Until 3500 rpm it limits boost to 6psi (besides that I have set it much higher). Then it goes way up to 13psi which seems as I have put it. However sometimes it shoots up to 20psi. It seems to do it without prediction.
    -- In Highboost: The lower rpm limitation seems not to excist. So it boosts in all RPM Ranges as high as it can. However, here I experienced the leaning out and Knock.

EDIT: I guess everybody is clear on that, but just in case: One thing you sure can't do anymore is using the DRBII for diagnosing issues. I have tested this as well and as expected you won't be able neither to read codes nor to invoke test routines. The cal, as I have it put in, identifies my car as a 3.0 Liter Turbo IV

My conclusion:

Overall drivability is PERFECT. I got a very decent gas milage and at lower speeds (<100mph) did not have any problem at all.

However: (THIS IS ONLY VALID FOR TURBO 2 CARS !!!) The impossibility to predictabally program the boost schedules for a T2 car is a serious drawback. I did not note this as a problem while doing my day to day driving, but on my last trip, spending a lot of my time on Motorways where the average speed is at lets say between 80mph (France) or much higher (Germany) overtaking a car becomes a challange for the drastic boost changes. If you go past the 4000 rpm mark it becomes stable. However you never know if you then get 13psi or if it will take you up to 20psi.
    Last edited by MopàrBCN; 05-12-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Hybrid booster

I wouldn't think the fuel rail would be an issue at only 10 psi in the upper RPMs. What injectors are you running?
    I've pushed 30 psi at 350 HP 430 FT Torque through the stock T2 rail, but that was the limit on this engine.

Hi,
    just to clarify my issues: The leaning out began at 10psi! Until this point I was fine!

I use +40% MP Injectors and a 3 Bar Map Sensor. Also I use a Wallbro 255l/hr Fuelpump. So at that level I should be alright. The fuelfilter is new as well. The Cal was built with the options set for 3 bar Map. The injector scaling was done in Chem 2. I am certain to have done that right.

I assume that the base cals Volumetric Efficiency Values are based on a stock setup. But even if not it should have caused that I rather run rich then lean, having nothing ported at all in my hardware, other then the larger exhaust.

What I am not sure about is Make/Model of my MAP Sensor. I know that the Scaling for the 3 Bar Map is based on the MP S60 3 bar Map Sensor. I got mine from FWDPerformance. It could well be a GM Sensor. But I do not know this.

There are 2 things I am not clear on Chem 2 when doing the fuel calculations:

1. SCALING: When calculating fuel you are asked to give parameters for the Injector Flowrate (I am clear on that) and then the Fuel Quality etc. What I am not clear on are the parameters for Intake Temperature. I used the preset there. Also I used the preset on Max RPM (6500). Should I have scaled for a higher Intake Temperature? or More RPM?

2. Fueling graphs: After doing the fuel calculations and scaling for injectors Chem 2 produces a green guide graph. Basically what I have done is to move my fueling graphs near that guide line. On the lower RPM/PSI Scale this seems to work great since I have absolutely no issues. As well as this I compared fueling in "ready made" 3 bar +40 cals and it seems that those are not exactly the same but in the same range. Ok, my idea is clear, I will redo my fueling to go richer up from 10 psi.

Question: Am I right in saying that the 3 factors which influence knock in boost are Fuel, Timing and finally the boost itself?

I do not think I am over the top on boost. In fact I just re-checked everything and I have limited Max Boost to 17 PSI having overboost cutout set at 20psi (which I have never ever hit).

Timing I have never ever touched. It is as it came in the base cal.

The reason I am asking all this is, that I am trying to find out where to look at first. If it is my programming, than I know where to start and thus need to confirm that I know enough to do it right.
    If it is my setup then I need to learn to set it up right.

Has anyone tried T-SMEC with a scan tool? Did it work OK?

I'm trying to ready a new (final?) release of MiniDash, and it now will not communicate with my SMEC. I don't think it's T-SMEC (MiniDash doesn't talk to my old stock-based cal, either) but I thought I'd ask.

Dunno what I broke in MiniDash - I've only been working on graphics stuff. I upgraded to a new version of the HB++ IDE, I wonder if that broke it.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I have tried it with an original Chrysler DRB II

The result is:

DRB II identifies Turbonator SMEC as 3.0 Turbo IV (I wish Chrysler would have ever done such a configuration )

Subsequently you can't use it to do any kind of analysis. Everything you try fails.

Really?! Very strange. Maybe the DRBII is old? What cartridge are you using?

What exactly does it do when you try to read parameters?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast