Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbonator SMEC codebase

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Turbonator SMEC codebase

If you built it for ATX instaed of for MTX, then it would cause the idle issues exactly like you described. I would check that.

By default, swithable boost is not turned on. You have to do it with the cal after you build it. Then, you have to select a switch for the boost (using BSTSWS_HighBoostSwitchSelect). Otherwise, you only get high boost again.

Code 62 - it shouldn't be setting this. By default, this option is turned off. I'll look into it...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Rob. if you remember I was getting code 62 with the cal you sent me too awhile ago for my G headed 2.5l...Not sure why, I burned my own cal then with the 89mtxT1 base cal and did not have the code 62.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hi, the "Auto Trans Bit" was and is checked OFF.

Just for your reference above I attach Screenshots of the all the Options Settings as I have them from now on: If you have a comment on them let me know!

Code 62: If I remember this well, the Code 62 is normally set when in DRB Test Mode! Could there be a byte set, which would normally be set by the DRBII ??

Once more, I really apreciate the work you have put into this, and I am quite happy to contribute in testing it!!

Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OK, I have changed chips and went for a quick round around the block.

1. High Boost/ Low Boost:

I think I was right about the Boosting defaulting to high boost. If I put the switch to on, it switches on LowBoost, and if I Switch it Off, it puts High boost. So I guess, having no option selected initially, it was defaulting to High Boost.

2. IDLE, is too early - only did unos 6miles so it still needs.

It seems to be fun!

Codes remain the same: 53,62
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MopàrBCN View Post
    Hi, the "Auto Trans Bit" was and is checked OFF.

Just for your reference above I attach Screenshots of the all the Options Settings as I have them from now on: If you have a comment on them let me know!

Code 62: If I remember this well, the Code 62 is normally set when in DRB Test Mode! Could there be a byte set, which would normally be set by the DRBII ??

Once more, I really apreciate the work you have put into this, and I am quite happy to contribute in testing it!!

I can't see the screenshots now (work computer blocks image hosting sites). So, maybe this is what you did. If so, sorry.

But, you need to set the assembler options for manual trans, not just the cal option flag. This is because there are many tables/constants that have different calibration values depending on whether MTX or ATX. I think I uploaded the assembler to build a 2.5 ATX 3-bar.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hi,

I had changed this to be like this, so apart from that I am not really an assembler guy, I feel I did it right, unless 0=True and 1=False.

After building the code I then scaled for my injectors. So I left the injector settings as they were.

; ************************************************** *********************
    ; TRANS TYPE
    ;
    ; Set the calibration values for ATX or MTX with this assembler switch.
    ;
    MTX == 1
    ATX == 0
    ;
    ; One or the other of the trans values MUST be set. Not none, Not both. One.
    ;
    ;

and finally:

; ENGINE DISPLACEMENT
    ;
    ;
    Dspl_22 == 1
    Dspl_25 == 0
    ;
    ; One or the other of the displacement values MUST be set. Not none,
    ; Not both. One.
    ;

Comparing the resulting cal to standard 2.2 T2 Cals shows that the main tables seem to be matching up exactly. The only difference was the fan schedule thing and the Wastegatedutycycle. But this you already explained.

Let's wait until I have done some milage with the current build to see if that resolves the idle issue. I feel the IDLE issue could calm down once the SMEC has learned its settings. With the first build I did with your cal it eventually got better!

The general feeling of this cal is GOOD! Way better then I felt with my Ladybug Build.

Yep, that's correct.

It could be that I missed some table for fuel scaling (you did the scaling in Chem2, right?). I'll look into that.

I still have not found the cause for code 62, though it is related to the EMR, which should ony run on the Minivans.

Hi,

I had changed this to be like this, so apart from that I am not really an assembler guy, I feel I did it right, unless 0=True and 1=False.

After building the code I then scaled for my injectors. So I left the injector settings as they were.

; TRANS TYPE
    ;
    ;
    MTX == 1
    ATX == 0
    ;
    ; One or the other of the trans values MUST be set. Not none, Not both. One.
    ;
    ;

and finally:

; ENGINE DISPLACEMENT
    ;
    ;
    Dspl_22 == 1
    Dspl_25 == 0
    ;
    ; One or the other of the displacement values MUST be set. Not none,
    ; Not both. One.
    ;

Comparing the resulting cal to standard 2.2 T2 Cals shows that the main tables seem to be matching up exactly. The only difference was the fan schedule thing and the Wastegatedutycycle. But this you already explained.

Let's wait until I have done some milage with the current build to see if that resolves the idle issue. I feel the IDLE issue could calm down once the SMEC has learned its settings. With the first build I did with your cal it eventually got better!

The general feeling of this cal is GOOD! Way better then I felt with my Ladybug Build.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Yep, I scaled with chem 2 and set the bit flags with d-cal.

Listen, this cal really rocks!! It is great fun driving the car. The idle issue is changing. There are moments when it starts idling well. Then you drive off and break at another traffic light and it idles high again. The more I drive it the better it gets, it seems. So don't start pulling your code apart as yet.

There is really nothing serious to complain about.

The only thing I have not tested yet is the staging mode.

My conclusion:

In low boost mode I could do what I wanted. Never got lean, never got knock. It's responsive enough for city driving and goes well.

In High Boost mode is where the fun starts. Here again, everything was fine. The car pulls really strong. It is great fun! Now I have to get back to the garage and sort out some handling issues. They become apparent in this mode :-).

So, as far as I am concerned, I really apreciate your work. If I can help you in any way, let me know!

Hi, quick question:

In your code you mention the program "injscale" but it seems to be not included in your batch file.

I wanted to test scaling injectors with this, as opposed to do it with chem 2.

I thought it may be included in your compileprogramm ChemAsmSMEC.exe so I changed the scaling in your .asm code file and rebuild the code. But it seems to have ignored it.

PS: I GOT RID OF CODE 62 !

Don't ask me how. Essentially, all I did was rebuilding the base cal with ChemAsmSMEC.exe. I did modified the "New Injector" value for my +40's - which did not scale the tables thow.
    Also this time I only changed values with CHEM 2. Even the Options. Since I had a cal to compare to with the options already set I used the Slider In Chem 2 to change those. The only thing I did in D-Cal was to verify the Option Checkboxes.

However, now I am not getting code 62. The only remaining one is 53, which I know I can live with.

On the Idle of cause I am back to square 1. So testing starts again

Ah, one thing, but this is not important: Once you try to view the properties in chem 2, the program would hang and close.

Changes I have done in this cal is basically:

1. Resetting the main fuel tables to what they were initially (I had leaned them out a bit, but experienced knock in high boost).
    2. Scaled the FuelMonitorConversionfactor to 0210 (like this it's far more accurate)
    3. Lowered AllowableBoostFromTime to 17.5 PSI (since I experienced Knock in High boost)
    4. Matched Fan Schedules (to increase IC Efficiency) and Wastegatedutycycle to those in Ladybug60 (as you did mention, that Turbonator uses the Turbo 1 Boost Control)

Once I have done some more testing (only took it for a quick ride right now) I will post the changes.
    Last edited by MopàrBCN; 04-29-2008 at 06:10 AM.

4. Matched Fan Schedules (to increase IC Efficiency) and Wastegatedutycycle to those in Ladybug60 (as you did mention, that Turbonator uses the Turbo 1 Boost Control)
    I'm not sure that will work with the WG tables. The control code is completely different - it's not as simple as reversing the table and the solenoid. It may work that way, but I doubt the tuning is exactly the same as the T2.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    I'm not sure that will work with the WG tables. The control code is completely different - it's not as simple as reversing the table and the solenoid. It may work that way, but I doubt the tuning is exactly the same as the T2.
    Hi, ok, not sure what to say now:

One thing for sure: The fans seem to turn on when needed, and it feels cooler then when original! I can not answer if they do as they would have done with ladybug60.

On the Wastegate: How would I note that it is not working right?

The boost comes in steady and as I need it. Where you may have a good point is, that in Lowboost sometimes it boosts way higher then expected - but not high enough to get worried. (right now set at 12.6PSI in Lowboost but gives me up to 15PSI as by my boost gauge)

The only time I got issues was in Highboost mode doing a until red line accelaration in third. When reaching 6000 RPM it got lean and as well as that it has triggered your "knock" light for a second. I immediately let of the throttle in this moment. I got about 19PSI from my gauge. (BoostFromTime was set at 18PSI but I think I am using a GM 3-Bar Map as oposed to the S60). But I thought I could explain this because I had leaned out the Full Throttle Fuel Table. Now I have reversed this.

Would you feel that it is safer, not to use your cal in a TII as yet?

PS: The matching of the Fan Schedules and Wastegatedutycycle curve I have done since my first test, just to let you know. Meanwhile I have put in the 3rd chip.

In your code you mention the program "injscale" but it seems to be not included in your batch file.

I wanted to test scaling injectors with this, as opposed to do it with chem 2.

I thought it may be included in your compileprogramm ChemAsmSMEC.exe so I changed the scaling in your .asm code file and rebuild the code. But it seems to have ignored it.
    Yeah, that's a leftover from Ladybug/Blueberry. I don't think this program really works so well. I think I have a copy and I could include it. but, the functionality is now built-in to CHeM2, so I didn't include it.

On the Wastegate: How would I note that it is not working right?

The boost comes in steady and as I need it. Where you may have a good point is, that in Lowboost sometimes it boosts way higher then expected - but not high enough to get worried. (right now set at 12.6PSI in Lowboost but gives me up to 15PSI as by my boost gauge)
    snip...

Would you feel that it is safer, not to use your cal in a TII as yet?
    Well, if it seems to be working OK, then I guess it may be fine. My intention was to use the T1 style WG plumbing with this cal. Someday, I may add the T2 style WG control, but it's not a priority. T1 WG should be safer anyway (WG Solenoid failure = only 7psi boost; on T2 WG failure = uncontrolled boost!).
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hi,

Today I went to a circuit in my area and gave it a go. Also I went to a chip tuner, who is in my local club and we put the car on a dyno.

First of all, your code and calibration is awsome. I think (this is not my opinion but the opinion of the tuner) this code in a T1 car rocks!

However, you are right, there are things to optimize for a T2 car.

But before I go into this, let's see where it is awsome even for a T2 car:

This cal in high boost mode and Staging function enabled is Top Notch!!! So anyone looking for a quick option to get good results in the 1/4 mile, your cal is the business even for a T2 car. The antilag works the business, the staging limiter works to the point and the fueling is perfect (at least for my car)!!!

Now, where are the drawbacks for a T2 car:

Those come into play in Low Boost mode and in both modes when driving normally, i.e. part throttle cruising, city traffic etc....

1.: You are absolutely right, with the wastegate funcionality. This is functioning like the lottery with what I did to it. (NOTE, I DID NOT USE HIS CALIBRATION BUT CHANGED HIS DUTYCYCLEMAPS TO WHAT I FELT WERE T2 VALUES). So in lowboost, using those settings, the cal is not as recomendable for a T2 car. You will be hitting overboost ever so often, sometimes doing nothing but accelerating a tiny bit. The only remedy for me was putting the Overboost cut out high, so that you would not notice.

Here I am absolute rooky, so yes I will try to study your code (I am IT Guy - but 0 experience with assembler) but doubt that I will be able to resolve it soon. But motivation is there!!!

PS: I have never tested the code with the Wastegatedutysettings as they come per default in this cal!

2. The idle issue does not get resolved without putting hands on it. Yes, it does get better after ca. 100 miles of driving. But the problem remains.

I will explain:

a. If you start the car (hot or cold) with no throttle pressed it idles fine (rd. 900-1000 rpm). If you leave it idling without any throttle action it stays stable. However, it idles very rich!

b. If you only tip the gas once up from then it goes up to 1500 and always stays there.

c. If you are driving and coming to a stop and leave the car in gear with the clutch depressed it idles fine (this gets better the more you drive). HOWEVER, the moment you put the car in neutral gear the idle goes up.

d. The idle between shifts gets better with time. So this is actually fine.

I won't comment on fueling in general because this is something everybody has in its own hands. The main fueling tables once set right for your car will give a constant A/F (constant meaning always within it's limits) over the hole bandwidth.

However, when on the dyno, the guy made a comment to me and asked if the cal has shift points set for automatic transmission. He said to me that he suspected this because the fueling and sparc changes at certain RPM Ranges. He promised to do me a report which once I have it I will translate it into English, and let you have it.

-This may explain why y experience this funny behavior doing rd. 55 mph at 2000 rpm

Maybe - but I am way from being qualified to comment on this - your code ignores the disabling of the AutoTrans at certain points.

So, this means for me, that I will keep a chip with the cal set to highboost and with the staging limiter once I go racing, but for day to day driving I will go back to the drawing board. I hope I can help you resolving the issues, because overall this is a great thought through program. This is the first time I envy T1 ATX guys.....

Hi,

Today I went to a circuit in my area and gave it a go. Also I went to a chip tuner, who is in my local club and we put the car on a dyno.

First of all, your code and calibration is awsome. I think (this is not my opinion but the opinion of the tuner) this code in a T1 car rocks!

However, you are right, there are things to optimize for a T2 car.

But before I go into this, let's see where it is awsome even for a T2 car:

This cal in high boost mode and Staging function enabled is Top Notch!!! So anyone looking for a quick option to get good results in the 1/4 mile, your cal is the business even for a T2 car. The antilag works the business, the staging limiter works to the point and the fueling is perfect (at least for my car)!!!

Now, where are the drawbacks for a T2 car:

Those come into play in Low Boost mode and in both modes when driving normally, i.e. part throttle cruising, city traffic etc....

1.: You are absolutely right, with the wastegate funcionality. This is functioning like the lottery with what I did to it. (NOTE, I DID NOT USE HIS CALIBRATION BUT CHANGED HIS DUTYCYCLEMAPS TO WHAT I FELT WERE T2 VALUES). So in lowboost, using those settings, the cal is not as recomendable for a T2 car. You will be hitting overboost ever so often, sometimes doing nothing but accelerating a tiny bit. The only remedy for me was putting the Overboost cut out high, so that you would not notice.

Here I am absolute rooky, so yes I will try to study your code (I am IT Guy - but 0 experience with assembler) but doubt that I will be able to resolve it soon. But motivation is there!!!

PS: I have never tested the code with the Wastegatedutysettings as they come per default in this cal!

2. The idle issue does not get resolved without putting hands on it. Yes, it does get better after ca. 100 miles of driving. But the problem remains.

I will explain:

a. If you start the car (hot or cold) with no throttle pressed it idles fine (rd. 900-1000 rpm). If you leave it idling without any throttle action it stays stable. However, it idles very rich!

b. If you only tip the gas once up from then it goes up to 1500 and always stays there.

c. If you are driving and coming to a stop and leave the car in gear with the clutch depressed it idles fine (this gets better the more you drive). HOWEVER, the moment you put the car in neutral gear the idle goes up.

d. The idle between shifts gets better with time. So this is actually fine.

I won't comment on fueling in general because this is something everybody has in its own hands. The main fueling tables once set right for your car will give a constant A/F (constant meaning always within it's limits) over the hole bandwidth.

However, when on the dyno, the guy made a comment to me and asked if the cal has shift points set for automatic transmission. He said to me that he suspected this because the fueling and sparc changes at certain RPM Ranges. He promised to do me a report which once I have it I will translate it into English, and let you have it.

-This may explain why y experience this funny behavior doing rd. 55 mph at 2000 rpm

Maybe - but I am way from being qualified to comment on this - your code ignores the disabling of the AutoTrans at certain points.

So, this means for me, that I will keep a chip with the cal set to highboost and with the staging limiter once I go racing, but for day to day driving I will go back to the drawing board. I hope I can help you resolving the issues, because overall this is a great thought through program. This is the first time I envy T1 ATX guys.....

I think I may know what the idle issue is. Can you try something for me? In the CONFIG constant, set bit 1 (labelled as 'Debug', currently). I have set this to 0, but in the stock cals, it is set to 1. It is only used in the TPS enrichment. I'm not sure yet the intended function, but it changes when the code looks at TPS for transient fuel vs. when it looks at MAP for transient fuel. It may or may not have an effect on the idle issues.

Also, try setting 'SSTEMP_TempAboveWhichSparkScatterIsActive' to the ATX value (0x58). In the MP MTX cal, this is FE, but in the MP ATX and all stock cals, it is 0x58. It is the temperature that the ECU switches to spark scatter to control idle. So, at 0xFE, it basically will never use spark scatter to control idle.

The same for 'SSIPRD_ScatterInhibitBelowThisSpeed' - use the ATX value of 0x0033 instead of the MTX value of 0xfe33. This would also inhibit using spark scatter to control idle.

I think these 2 changes were made to the MP cal for road racing use. You can see it would be an advantage to have the idle stay high when shifting gears thru a corner.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hi, will do this!!! Let you know later on !

Here a quick one, while I am at it:

1. 'SSTEMP_TempAboveWhichSparkScatterIsActive' and 'SSIPRD_ScatterInhibitBelowThisSpeed' I do set within the source code, correct? And then I build again.

2. The DEBUG option I will set to 1 using D-Cal

Question: Will I leave the Wastegatedutycycle Settings as you have defined them??? As oposed to try to match them with the T2 curve?

THX!

Here a quick one, while I am at it:

1. 'SSTEMP_TempAboveWhichSparkScatterIsActive' and 'SSIPRD_ScatterInhibitBelowThisSpeed' I do set within the source code, correct? And then I build again.

2. The DEBUG option I will set to 1 using D-Cal

Question: Will I leave the Wastegatedutycycle Settings as you have defined them??? As oposed to try to match them with the T2 curve?

THX!
    You can change those value in D-Cal, too. You don't have to re-assemble.

The WG, you can do with what you want. If you change it to the values as I put them, you'll need to change your WG plumbing, too.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hi,

done it!

At a first glance I still have hi idle but not as high as before!. I will now check my vacuum tubing to see if there is a coincidence. I must say, that until I started testing, it was idling fine, but you never know.

What has improved noticable is the first start. It sounds now as it was when stock. Smooth and no dark exhaust gases.

When coming back after a 10 mile testround, the idle was at around 1200rpm. But wait until this evening, because I have some more driving to do. So I will watch this.

It seems, I actually got rid of the knock in high boost. This is the good news. Also this time it seems the wastegate is operating properly in low boost mode! It stops boosting right at 12PSI.

Ah, and again I am getting Code 62...... So, not sure what I did last time when I definately got rid of it....BUT THIS IS MY VIEW HAS NO PRIO!!!

I am still having fun with it!! Though, I am starting to feel like wanting a flashable logicboard. You wouldn't have one for sale??

Hybrid booster

Hi Rob,

Just some input from another's testing on an 89 T2 specs w/ manual trans. I have been trying this code off and on all this week and have had the same issues as MopàrBCN. Step on the throttle, let off, VERY slow to idle back down and takes a long time to make it from 1500 to 1000 RPM. Stays very rich at idle, even pulling the PE down dramatically will make it lean for a second then back up to steady rich with no luck making it Stoich. After staring at it for a while I notice it acts like a glich as the A/F will quickly dropped leaner for a a matter of milliseconds then instantly back to rich. I have very little time to mess with it this week, but I figure it would be good to post what I have already found. Boost control is not controled by the ecu on my Daytona so I have no input on boost schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
    Hi Rob,

Just some input from another's testing on an 89 T2 specs w/ manual trans. I have been trying this code off and on all this week and have had the same issues as MopàrBCN. Step on the throttle, let off, VERY slow to idle back down and takes a long time to make it from 1500 to 1000 RPM. Stays very rich at idle, even pulling the PE down dramatically will make it lean for a second then back up to steady rich with no luck making it Stoich. After staring at it for a while I notice it acts like a glich as the A/F will quickly dropped leaner for a a matter of milliseconds then instantly back to rich. I have very little time to mess with it this week, but I figure it would be good to post what I have already found. Boost control is not controled by the ecu on my Daytona so I have no input on boost schedules.
    Try the fixes noted above. I'm 99% sure that's the idle speed issue and at least part of the idle richness.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast