Page 1 of 101 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbonator SMEC codebase

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Turbonator SMEC codebase

Turbonator/SMEC --- is custom source code for SMEC equipped cars (1988-1989 + 1990 Masi TC). This is a source code+template format – meaning that the calibration data is stored in a separate file from the actual code. If you’re new to this format, it is different from D-Cal and CHeM in that they edited the actual Chrysler binary file directly. While, with MP Tune and Turbonator, we create a completely new binary file from the source code. After compilation, MP Tune still allows the user to edit the binary directly if you choose.

This Turbonator/SMEC is based on the stock Chrysler '89 T1 code and calibrations. But, with the additional features listed. These features are unique to the Turbonator codebase.

Turbonator/SMEC Features:

1) Knock Indicator – This feature flashes the ‘Check Engine’ lamp whenever the timing is being retarded due to knock. It’s a useful feature to feedback to the driver when you should back off to save your engine.

2) Switchable boost – This allows a ‘LOW’ boost setting to be used when a switch is applied. Unfortunately, it must be one of the existing inputs to the SMEC (Cruise, A/C, P/N switch, etc.). But, these can be ‘doubled up’ – IE, you can have the cruise on/off switch work for both hi/lo boost as well as cruise. This is similar in operation to the S60 boost switch feature, though without the timing adjustment for low octane fuel.

3) Staging Limiter (2-Step) – This feature allows a lower than normal rev limit to be set. This lower limit can be enabled by a low speed cutoff (usually 2-10mph), and/or a switch (usually the brake switch for auto cars). The lower rev limit is useful for launching the car in a drag race.

4) Spark-Cut Rev Limiter – Added the ability to specify a spark-cut to be used for the rev limit instead of a fuel-cut (which is the stock operation). When used in conjunction with the staging limiter, this gives much more precise control of the RPM while staging. The fuel-cut typically has a ~500rpm swing. The spark-cut staging limiter can get down to ~200rpm.

5) Anti-lag Retard – Anti-Lag is a feature that helps spool the turbo. For this release of T-SMEC, anti-lag has been completely re-written. Previously, anti-lag retarded the timing proportionally to the difference from boost target. Now, the Anti-lag timing is a pre-set value and it only works during staging (though, it will work with either the spark-cut or fuel-cut limiters). The anti-lag/staging advance can be set anywhere from -16 to +16 degrees.

6) Shift Light – Uses the Upshift Indicator/PTU output on the SMEC for a built-in shift light. Just a basic-on/off shift light similar in function to the aftermarket tach shift lights.

7) Alky Injection – This feature is available, but not included in the standard build. Please PM me if you are interested in using it. Due to space and time limitations, I commented it out. But, it can easily be re-enabled for those that are interested.

8) Customized Boost Control – Added some custom code and an additional table to modify the WG duty Cycle as an anti-lag measure. Basically, the WGDC is set to 100% during transients to keep the WG from seeing the manifold pressure and releasing the exhaust gases early.

9) Modified Dwell Calculation - Added Dwell compensation for battery volts. This will maintain better dwell control than the stock code. Should improve ignition performance at WOT (when the alternator shuts off and battery voltage can drop).

10) 150% Pumping Efficiency Table Scale - Not working, disabled for now.

11) PTU (Lock-up) solenoid operation – Added PTU capability to the SMEC codebase. This is the exact same functionality as the stock 3.0 and later 4-cylinder turbo and TBI ECU’s.

12) Decel Fuel Cut - This will cut fuel (completely) on decel for fuel economy improvement. Currently only works on MT trans cals.

13) WB2NB - This is a feature that will allow you to feed a 0-5v WB signal directly into the SMEC thru the exsisting O2 sensor input. The code will automatically convert the signal to a NB range for use in the stock feedback machansim. The WB AFR is stored in RAM so that it can be read and logged using MP Tune. There is also a constant value that can be used to offse the entire NB signal to force the engine to run richer or leaner in feedback mode.

7/11/2014 - V19.4 Posted:
    - Added an option to use the launch control 'bang-bang' style
    - Updated table grouping to make things easier to find

8/24/2014 - V19.5 Posted:
    - Fixed the switchable boost and launch boost settings (were not working correctly)

12/14/2014 - V19.6 Posted:
    - Fixed the main rev limiter (issue cause by the staging limiter fix above).

Download links:
    Turbonator SMEC Latest ZIP file
    2.4L Base cal (based on the SRT timing curves)
    Last edited by ShelGame; 07-13-2015 at 11:41 AM.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Re: Turbonator SMEC codebase

Looks good Rob, I'll let you know if I get to test it.

Thanks
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Hybrid booster

Awsome! Great work. I can't wait to see your SBEC code as well.
    No fun cars any more :(

Oh! I also plan to add 2.2 calibration data for a future release. For now, this includes only 2.5 cal data...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Darn, of course this gets released the same time I switch back to a 2.2 LOL. I'll wait I guess.

I downloaded it anyway just to look at it. It made D-cal freeze up, but opens fine in chem2. ???

Yeah, I don't know exactly what the deal is with that. The assembler does something funky to the table file when it writes it. If you open it in CHeM1 first, then save it (without making any changes) it will open fine in D-Cal. I've looked and can't see anything different before and after openeing with CHeM1, so I dunno what the deal is. It's just some sort of table file glitch caused by the assembler.

I'm going to ask Geoff to open up his assembler code, so I can try to tweak it a little.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hmm, I don't have Chem1, can somebody post here or PM me a zip file for that?

Here ya go...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

It worked, thats interesting LOL. Thanks rob.

Matt I had the same issue with D-cal, I went on the Yahoo group and downloaded the latest version as I was working with a really old one... Worked fine on that version.

Also it opened fine in Chem and Chem2, I had to go find Chem as I didn't have that one.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

I get the same crash with D-Cal 1.2 (the latest version)...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Guess I'm just special on this one... All I did was overwrite the old D-Cal files with what was in the 1.2 zip...
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

couple things i noticed in the .asm file that may help the crashes. In particular the .chem table definitions:

1) CruiseControlMaxSetSpeedTimesTwo - uses .chem 6 table def which i think requires up to 8 choices to be defined.
    2) CruiseControlMinSetSpeedTimesTwo - uses .chem 6 table def which i think requires up to 8 choices to be defined.

this seemed to fix the crashes for me.

Also, other defs to look at:

1) KnockRetardIncreaseRate - .chem 3 - the word INCSRT is in there twice
    2) OverboostFuelShutOffEnablePointFromMap - looks like it is defined twice

Lastly, in the .tbl file provided i think address 86bc should be defined as a constant 8 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    couple things i noticed in the .asm file that may help the crashes. In particular the .chem table definitions:

1) CruiseControlMaxSetSpeedTimesTwo - uses .chem 6 table def which i think requires up to 8 choices to be defined.
    2) CruiseControlMinSetSpeedTimesTwo - uses .chem 6 table def which i think requires up to 8 choices to be defined.

this seemed to fix the crashes for me.

Also, other defs to look at:

1) KnockRetardIncreaseRate - .chem 3 - the word INCSRT is in there twice
    2) OverboostFuelShutOffEnablePointFromMap - looks like it is defined twice

Lastly, in the .tbl file provided i think address 86bc should be defined as a constant 8 bit.

Thanks! Yep, that fixes the D-Cal crashing. I'll incorporate these changes into v12.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

actually 86bc should be changed to chem type 3 in the .asm file under
    REVLMT_MapLimpinAndThrAbove25PercentLower1850. sorry.

Hybrid booster

I am rusty with this stuff already! Please, explain how to use the assembler batch file to create an output.

Just run the batch file, it will create all of the files.

As it is, the supplied .bin and .asm are setup for 33pph injectors, 3-bar MAP, and ATX trans. You can re-set the switches in the .asm file for MTX (for example) and run the batch file, and you get a .bin, .tbl, .calx, etc. for the MTX.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Thanks Rob,
    I remember having this problem years ago. I forgot to include the ChemAsmSMEC and Ezlink files in the folder.
    It works now, but it gives me this:
    ?ASxxxx-Error-<q> in line 2367 of Turbonator_SMEC_v11.asm
    <q> missing or improper operators, terminators, or delimiters

turbo addict

awesome coding i'll have to try and look into it and read more about all these tuning things on the tm's. how exactly does antilag work, it pulls timming at 16degrees vac. when full throttle, how exactly does this build boost when your not moving, cause from my understanding you need to have a 'load' on the engine to build boost, yet ive seen hondas and some dsms do it

Page 1 of 101 123451151 ... LastLast