Page 15 of 101 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbonator SMEC codebase

turbo addict

Re: Turbonator SMEC codebase

88+ T1 boost control goes like this. A line off the turbo outlet to a T fitting. A line from there to the wastegate actuator on the turbo, and the other line to the wastegate solenoid.

That way the wastegate opens ASAP to slow the spool of the mitsu. And the ECU bleeds pressure off to raise the boost in the higher rpms(LAME )

85-87 T1 and 87-89 T2 boost control has a line from the intake, goes to the solenoid then from there goes to the actuator.

This keeps pressure away from the actuator and helps to spool the "BIG" garrett ASAP then as the pressure get's close to what it's supposed to be the computer opens the solenoid to send pressure to the actuator and open the wastegate. This way is the best way to do it as you get the max spool up the turbo can do with a decent or larged size turbo.

If you insist on running a tiny puny thing that would be better suited on my lawnmower then the 1st way is what you're probably gonna have to do.

Now you have to run whatever vacuum routing the ECU is set to if it's set correctly. I've tried both ways with the cal I'm running (rob's old T1 based cals) and I can't get it to work at all. So On goes the grainger and all is good

Quote Originally Posted by TopDollar69 View Post
    ...the computer controls the variable bleed through the solenoid.
    Exactly! That sort of setup also makes the TI wastegate control failsafe (as Rob has mentioned before) because if something goes wrong, the solenoid is going to stay closed which will keep the wg actuator seeing full boost pressure. The result would be low boost (5-7 psi on a stock turbo) in the event of a failure.

The downside to the TI style is that they're picky about the size of the restrictor orifice (for the same reason as a manual bleed). Too large of a restrictor and you'll get slow spoolup possibly never hitting your boost target because the solenoid won't be able to bleed off a large enough volume of air to keep pressure from building in the wg actuator. Too small and you can get spiking because the low volume of air fills the plumbing and wg actuator too slowly and the response time of the wg suffers.

With the right size restrictor and the wg dutycycle table set up right, they work really well though. It just takes a little tinkering to get it there.
    Last edited by Tony Hanna; 10-21-2008 at 07:59 PM.

turbo addict

I'll take faster spool up than some extra (Maybe False) security.

I ran the TI style wastegate control on the Sundance with a clipped wheel in a .63ar turbine housing and didn't have a bit of trouble with spoolup. It's all in what size restrictor you use and how you set up the dutycycle table. But, I was posting to help 1966 dart wagon get his boost control problems sorted out, not clutter Rob's thread with an argument about which type of boost control is better. One is as good as the other to me. Use what you prefer. I'll stick with TI because my cars came with the 2 barb solenoid and the TI wastegate plumbing and it works fine for me.

Tony

boostaholic

Just curious, whens the SBEC version coming out?
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Soon!
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Awesome I'm socketing my SBEC now!
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    88+ T1 boost control goes like this. A line off the turbo outlet to a T fitting. A line from there to the wastegate actuator on the turbo, and the other line to the wastegate solenoid.

That way the wastegate opens ASAP to slow the spool of the mitsu. And the ECU bleeds pressure off to raise the boost in the higher rpms(LAME )

85-87 T1 and 87-89 T2 boost control has a line from the intake, goes to the solenoid then from there goes to the actuator.

This keeps pressure away from the actuator and helps to spool the "BIG" garrett ASAP then as the pressure get's close to what it's supposed to be the computer opens the solenoid to send pressure to the actuator and open the wastegate. This way is the best way to do it as you get the max spool up the turbo can do with a decent or larged size turbo.

If you insist on running a tiny puny thing that would be better suited on my lawnmower then the 1st way is what you're probably gonna have to do.

Now you have to run whatever vacuum routing the ECU is set to if it's set correctly. I've tried both ways with the cal I'm running (rob's old T1 based cals) and I can't get it to work at all. So On goes the grainger and all is good
    That's a common mis-conception about our boost control. All that really matters is the pressure that's allowed to get to the WGA. In the T1 style control, the WGA is actually MORE responsive because there is less volume of air between the manifold and the WGA (when the WG Sol is closed). But, it IS very sensitive to the restrictor (and tubing size used). Getting it to run acurately at higher boost pressures may take some tuning.

The slow response you're taking about is strictly a side effect of the factory tuning. Not the system itself. Even the 3 uses a similar system.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Soon!
    Awsome!

boostaholic

I'm having an issue with using 85-87 T1 and 87-89 T2 boost control, it just overboosts, I can't get it to control the boost at all, Do I need a restrictor orifice in between the wg solenoid and the actuator for the computer to control the boost?

I think it should work without a restrictor. If it's overboosting, then the WGA is never seeing the MAP signal. Check your WG solenoid vac connections...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hey Rob, just tried out your V14 of turbonator on my car. I just downloaded the BIN file. Changed the fueling since I have a 2.2L.
    I can't seem to get the staging limiter to work first of all. Second, I am now getting codes 34 and 53 which is weird cuz with your other base cal (89/T2/2.2/MTX/3 bar/+40 etc) I was not getting either code. Now 34 is just a the cruise control, I guess this board is meant for cruise but my car never came with it (don't have the original board socketed). But code 53, kinda scary cuz thats a logic module failure. Any suggestions here? Thats kinda strange IMO to get that code when the car seems to be running fine.
    Oh and I also get code 62 with ALL of your cal's no matter which base cal I use. Wierd. Has it been my logic board all along?

A code 53 is a pretty common occurrence with a custom cal.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22456

I see. Strange that I never got it with the other base cal made by Rob.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I think we all got this with turbonator (as well with ladybug to be honest) and sometimes a 60 something as well
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OK thats good. Just wanted to make sure.

How many guys are getting a code 62 with T-SMEC?

I'm trying to add in the lock-up converter control. And I want to make sure that the PTU doesn't affect anything else. By my docs, the PTU and the EMR (Emis Maint Reminder) use the same output. Code 62 is related to the EMR. I'm not sure why that code is being set, or if it's even related to the lamp ilumination.

1st, I need to figure out if the code 62 is common or not. It's possibly a hardware issue, too. Since it's related to EEPROM memory that the T2 SMEC's didn't use (and possibly don't even have).
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

I rerouted my vacuum lines for the TI of 89, with just the line from the turbo then orifice, then wg, then blue orifice then to solenoid, hooked to the middle nipple. and nothing else connected to the solenoid, i was still overboosting. Would removing the blue orifice between the waste gate and the solenoid make a difference?

Anybody else getting the code 62???

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    How many guys are getting a code 62 with T-SMEC?

I'm trying to add in the lock-up converter control. And I want to make sure that the PTU doesn't affect anything else. By my docs, the PTU and the EMR (Emis Maint Reminder) use the same output. Code 62 is related to the EMR. I'm not sure why that code is being set, or if it's even related to the lamp ilumination.

1st, I need to figure out if the code 62 is common or not. It's possibly a hardware issue, too. Since it's related to EEPROM memory that the T2 SMEC's didn't use (and possibly don't even have).
    The '88 SMEC is missing the EMR/mileage counter in the processor. The '88 has "0550VFN" as the last seven of the pn on the chip, The '89 has "0557VFN". (hence the code 62) For the LU/EMR counter stuff to work, everyone trying to use LU will have to use the 0557VFN processor/board. I know there were '88 TBI cars that had LU, but I *think* they had a different output for the LU to work, I'm not sure though.....