Thread: horrible sputter!!

turbo addict

horrible sputter!!

yesterday i went to leave work, it was raining cats and dogs all day if that would matter, went to go leave and i noticed my car needed a lil more gas then normal to backup and proceed. i strugged it off and thought it was my clutch since it is going out. anyways i drive off and the car starts to sputter REALLY REALLY bad, i could barely go 25mph and after some time i was able to get up to 30mph. I noticed when id let it idle id only get about 10 hg/ of vacuum pulled over check out my vac lines, and sensors they all appear to be good, i unplugged some when i unplugged the map the car started to die so i plugged it back in, well i had to get home so i proceeded, about 3miles down the road it was still running like crap and bucking bad, then at the snap of a finger it ran great. no problems really weird drove home about maybe another 5 miles and ran great all the way home. This morning i went to start my car up before work idle fine so i decided to drive it, about 1/2 mile away it did the same thing again, doesnt matter how much gas i give it runs like crap. So i went back home and parked it. After work drove it again ran great for about 1/2 miles then did the same thing, i went back to my shop and pulled the plugs 1 and 2 seemed to perhaps have some 'salt and pepper' look to them, no nice white electrode about half of it was grayish tint the rest was white. 3 and 4 were fine, did a comp check 120, 130, 120, 125 about the same as last time i did it about 3 months ago. Thoughts???

almost seems like when my honda had the alt. go out and it wouldnt run good over maybe 1/4 throttle, sputtered bad and wouldnt go faster w/ more gas so i limped it home, battery was dead. replaced ran great.

go figure i was thinking of heading out to the neb/iowa meet this weekend i guess not.

89 daytona 2.5 tII, a555, installed a walbro 255lph about 3 weeks ago or so if that helps
    Last edited by 1966 dart wagon; 06-07-2008 at 12:01 AM.

turbo addict

Re: horrible sputter!!

Im having the same problem but its only in first in second gear. If i shut the car off and restart it the sputter goes away for a little bit but then comes back..... Its getting annoying.

turbo addict

i have it all throughout the gears and same goes for throttle in all gears

Sounds as though you could be getting some condensation in somewhere causing these problems. Could your distributor cap be cracked? Also check the HEP and make sure the pickup wheel on the distributor isn't loose. Have you gotten any codes?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

i have codes 12(battery) 25 for ais motor, and 15 for speed sensor, car ran fine with these codes before, so nothing new, the cap rotor, hep are all new from about a month ago all mopar stuff too. i'll check it though anything else

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Not sure about the low vac? But the 'comes and goes' nature of the problem sounds like fuel delivary to me. Pump/filter/regulator issue if i'd guess, can you check the pressure with a gauge while you drive and the problem is happening? Borrow or invest in a guage with 6' of line on it...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

i was going to check fuel pressure tonight to see how it was, if its off i was going to put on my adjustable fpr in and see from there

turbo addict

SOunds like a Map sensor issue to me.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post
    SOunds like a Map sensor issue to me.
    is there any way to test the map, i have a delphi 3bar waiting to go in and id like to fix it before swapping to a 3bar/40+s so i know everything besides those are good. and is a map something that could work then not work like ive been having troubles with

turbo addict

ok well got off work today then checked the cap all looks good, it appeared one of the wires wasnt plugged all the way in, probably from me moving them around last night, anyways pushed them all in good and tight car drove fine for maybe a mile then started doing it again, this time i got a CEL for code 13, map error. so im going to check the vacuum lines now

turbo addict

Make sure the vacuum line from the map sensor to the solenoid (the one shaped like an S) is good or hasn't popped off.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post
    Make sure the vacuum line from the map sensor to the solenoid (the one shaped like an S) is good or hasn't popped off.
    checked that its good, today i blew some air through the line from the intake - baro and it appeared almost like a slight amount of oil came out of the baro, smelled like oil too. after this the car didnt do any better, still slugish. filled it up with some gas since it was somewhat low to see if that is the problem ran good for 30 seconds then right back to like crap. now i have codes 12(bat) 14, and 15 so now its a voltage problem what a pina

boostaholic

I had a similar problem not too long ago....car would pop and fart if i gave any amount of gas...turns out I had a hairline crack in the coil near one of the wire terminals. Replaced the coil and problem is gone.