Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm back! With questions...

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

I'm back! With questions...

Dear Fellow T-M'ers. I'm sorry I've been away from the forum for so many months. Busy college life, one hell of a reliable turbo-5-speed Caravan, and a new hobby/interest of buying and restoring old Delta woodworking machines has really kept me from the boards.
    Anyway, on with the bad news. I noticed my cooling gage started to move from only 1/4 of the way up, (where it normally stayed because I had a cooler thermostat in there) and started to move up to the middle and back to 1/4. OK, no big deal. Then I come home one day from college, a 2 hour drive on highway, ran good, shut off car in driveway, starts smoking from rad. Let cool, had to top off the coolant. I noticed also I've had to tighten up the plastic drain plug for the Rad. a few times already. So I decided to install the factory 195* thermostat, and drilled the 1/16" hole like I did last time. Wanted to go back to factory because my heat could be a bit hotter, figured 195* would help.
    Driving today, its the same thing, but now it runs at the 1/2 way mark, and creeps up to 3/4 mark and back down.
    Now, I figured out what may be related to this problem. When I run my heat, this strange issue continues. BUT, when I turn the heat off, it runs right at the half way mark and doesn't budge. Maybe in the heat line there is a leak letting some air get in??? I really want to fix this, so I can keep my trusty turbo mini in good shape for my long drives.
    Thanks for reading my book, and again, its good to be back!
    take care,
    Lee

Re: I'm back! With questions...

could be the plastic heater valve (crack?) or possibly a leaky heater core. sounds like its not keeping proper press. could run a press test on the cooling system... might even find a leaky head gasket. how do the plugs look?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

They do this when the heater core is plugged or restricted.

Simply remove the heater hoses from the core, blow it out, add a few feet of new stuff and tape so there facing up, then fill with CLR, let sit for an hour and then back flush, aiming the hoses away from your face.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Haven't checked the plugs, but no bubbles in the coolent while its running, and it runs great....not sluggish or anything.
    Simon, what is CLR? Do I just remove the hoses at the firewall, or take apart the dash, pull the heater core and clean on the bench?
    thanks!
    -Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee'sdaytona View Post
    Haven't checked the plugs, but no bubbles in the coolent while its running, and it runs great....not sluggish or anything.
    Simon, what is CLR? Do I just remove the hoses at the firewall, or take apart the dash, pull the heater core and clean on the bench?
    thanks!
    -Lee
    CLR-Calcium Lime Remover.

You can replace core if you want but this is a much faster alternative. You remove the OUTSIDE hoses,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Well, I've got some bad news....I figured if I drive this van without the heat on, i would be ok for some time. I drove it out of necessity back up to college today. Turned the heat on for a bit, but shut it off again, to bring the temp down. Well it started to get hot and cool off even with the heater turned off. A mile from my college house it overheated. I pulled over, opened the hood, smoke coming from the back of the engine. F$@&! My brother was following me, so he ran to get some coolent. Filled the coolent back up and drove it home. 99% sure I blew the head gasket, most likely at that back #1 cyl coolent jacket.
    So, it really hurts that I know how to fix this, but don't have time to fix it. I'll have to find a good shop around here.
    Any ideas on how this happened? I think that like Simon said, the heater core was plugged, and maybe some of the gunk from the heater core spread to the rest of the cooling system, clogging other areas, and the hot and cold swings did the head gasket in. GRRR!!
    -Lee

Sorry to hear that.

One thing to note is that all TM's have a constant flow heater core, that means there is always coolant flowing thru it except if you have a/c, then when you select max a/c, that valve will redirect the flow.

The temp guage swings were probably the head gasket on its way out. I thought you'd done it already

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

One thing to note is that all TM's have a constant flow heater core, that means there is always coolant flowing thru it except if you have a/c, then when you select max a/c, that valve will redirect the flow.
    oh wow, I didn't know that....

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The temp guage swings were probably the head gasket on its way out. I thought you'd done it already
    If you mean I had done the HG already, then yes, two years ago when I bought the van, I did. I put 18,500 miles on the van since the last Mopar Performance HG, and I never drive it hard. Is that a typical life span of a HG?

In any event, Wheather I bend over and pay someone to do the job, or if I make the time to slowly do the job, I'm gonna have the cooling system backwashed to hopefully fix the problem, in addition to a new HG
    -Lee

If you mean I had done the HG already, then yes, two years ago when I bought the van, I did. I put 18,500 miles on the van since the last Mopar Performance HG, and I never drive it hard. Is that a typical life span of a HG?

In any event, Wheather I bend over and pay someone to do the job, or if I make the time to slowly do the job, I'm gonna have the cooling system backwashed to hopefully fix the problem, in addition to a new HG
    -Lee

No, something went wrong. They should last alot longer than that. Either the rad is plugged up or the head cracked, warped, shoddy installation. If you redo it, take your time and check everything carefully. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the rad checked.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the rad. is clogged. Like I said, I've noticed some problems in the past...plastic drian plug loosened up, allowing some leakage, and it was almost like something was blocking the flow of coolent, allowing it to heat up, then it would cool down really quickly. I installed the last HG, and I think I did a good job, ie, cleaned the mating surfaces really well, proper torque, and tightening order. The head only has cracks between the valves, which I remember being told is normal. Won't know what shape the head is in until its removed. Anyway, thanks for the support!
    -Lee

NO worries. Just make sure to check the head and deck for warpage and have the head checked out. Post pics of the pieces when you get it apart.

You know, I forgot all about the x-drilled head I have in the basement that actually came with my van. Right now I've been using the old 2.2 cyl head on my 2.5. The reason being, I bought my van with a melted piston, and some of the aluminum splattered on the #4 valve. I think I may send that head out to get it in shape, better cooling. But first, I'm gonna take it apart to assure its only a headgasket, and not something more tramatic, like say another melted piston for some strange reason. Also, now would be a good time to get the old leaky mitsu turbo out of there, and drop my TU Garret turbo in the van, which came from my daytona. Hell, I may as well retro fit the daytona fresh re-cored Rad/Intercooler combo on the van Its not all bad
    -Lee

Nice, glad to see your being positive about it,

So, its been three weeks since she died, and I've literally had NO time to work on it, other than to start it and pull it in the garage and unhook the battery. By the way, she started right up, first turn of the key after three weeks of sitting. Anyone have thoughts on Cometic head gaskets? A friend's dad who has an 87 shelby z, highly recommends these. As I remember, Mopar Performance gaskets were the favorite around here, and thats all I've used.
    -Lee

Hello all. Well its finals week up at school, and I'm finally haveing some time to start working on it. I have this cylinder head which came with my van (89 2.5 turbo) so I was assuming it was X-drilled, and it was set aside because it needs work. I figured I'd drop it off to the machine shop, then take apart my engine and have a good head ready to go.
    Well upon closer look at the CYL head that came with it the numbers on the castings I could find are:
    AS7U3
    MB
    FB
    Regardless if its X-drilled or not, it has typical cracks between valve seats, but I'm concerned about hairline fractures between the small and large coolent passages, and even more concerned about 2 hairline fractures I noticed going from the intake valve towards the back of the cyl head(close to the outter ring of the HG) on cyl 2 and 4. Does this mean the head is scrap? If so I'll have to wait until the head I was using is pulled, hope for no cracks, then send it off to the shop. I'll try to get pics up later.
    thanks,
    Lee

Garrett booster

Hello all. Well its finals week up at school, and I'm finally haveing some time to start working on it. I have this cylinder head which came with my van (89 2.5 turbo) so I was assuming it was X-drilled, and it was set aside because it needs work. I figured I'd drop it off to the machine shop, then take apart my engine and have a good head ready to go.
    Well upon closer look at the CYL head that came with it the numbers on the castings I could find are:
    AS7U3
    MB
    FB
    Regardless if its X-drilled or not, it has typical cracks between valve seats, but I'm concerned about hairline fractures between the small and large coolent passages, and even more concerned about 2 hairline fractures I noticed going from the intake valve towards the back of the cyl head(close to the outter ring of the HG) on cyl 2 and 4. Does this mean the head is scrap? If so I'll have to wait until the head I was using is pulled, hope for no cracks, then send it off to the shop. I'll try to get pics up later.
    thanks,
    Lee

that head is done for. thats what my head looked like when i melted the #1 piston in my 2.5. your best getting a good 782 head and have the work done to it. as has been mentione before, i would check the heater core first. if it has some blockage it can cause what you are describing by building up pressure untill it overcomes the blockage allowing it to cool back down. good luck!

Yeah, A friend of mine who has a Daytona is pretty sure the heater core is plugged. It makes sence, since the rad is fairly new. I will replace the heater core and have the rad checked. Hopefully the cyl head on my van now with the blown HG is still good. IIRC, the cracks between the valve seats are OK and normal.
    -Lee

OH one more thing, I want to tear out the A/C stuff. Its already drained, as its leaked out over the years. Can I remove the system without getting an A/C delete bracket? I assume these are sought after for looks only. Also, are there any adverse effects of unhooking all the electrical connectors related to the system, such as throwing a code and keeping the check engine light on?
    thanks,
    Lee

UPDATE:
    I pulled the head today. To my surprise, the head gasked appears to be in perfect shape! DOH! I wish I would've done a leak down test. The bottom line is there was definately smoke coming from the back of my engine, white in color, and coolent leaking from the back. I looked for evidence of coolent leaking but could not find it on the actual engine. The head has two water jackets which have hairline cracks in them, but they go towards the center of the head. I can't imagine how coolent leaked to the back of the engine still. Is this head OK to use after being machined?
    -Lee

turbo addict

it may be warped, since you overheated it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast