Thread: Calibrations for Dummies

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Calibrations for Dummies

So I am getting ready to install a T2/555 combo into my omni next week. The plans are for this to be a relatively mild daily driver. I am looking for maybe 250hp max. I will be converting it to 87 electronics by the way. I have yet to do any sort of performance 8V build, so I am completly ignorant about the availability of calibrations for the 8 valvers. Now I am not sure what to do about a calibration. I know that both Cindy and Chris offer them, and there are Mopar performance cals also. (Or are they the same thing as the vendors are offering?) I thought I have noticed that a few members are selling their own custom calibrations for use with a socketed lm. So what is th best way to go? Obviously cheaper would be better, but ill spend money if I need to.

Oh, my set up will be an
    87 TII long block with a mildly ported intake, mildly polished head.
    Stock T2 turbo
    Stock T2 IC/Rad setup
    3" exhaust
    TU 3" sv
    Ported Exhaust manifold
    Walbro 255
    +20's
    FM adj cam gear
    Afpr
    Egt, boost, and dawes a/f gauges.

Anything missing here?

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Re: Calibrations for Dummies

Are you looking to stay within the stock electronics boost parameters of no more than 14 PSI?
    Since you already have the +20's, it's pretty easy to just get a 3 bar MAP and get your LM socketed and a Blueberry cal from shel-game or Aries Turbo. Then you won't be limited to 14 PSI.

Well, I had just assumed I would stay with the stock 2 bar map, but I would consider buying the three bar if I need to. I guess I will just need to decide how much power I really want to run.

Check out my Homepage

turbo addict

With that combo it looks like the MP GLHS cal would be a great fit. It runs great with +20s, smooth and as reliable as any other factory issue calibration.

Another bonus for the GLHS cal is not needing to rewire the LM pins. Just add two wires at the LM and you are good to go.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

+1 for the GLHS stg. II LM and +20s. If 250HP is your goal that should do it nicely. With big exhaust etc. you should be near your goal at a relatively decent boost level. If you will be routinely running over 14.7 PSI I would go 87 TII, and run a 3 bar cal based off of BB60stock, or the Turbonator cal once it gets ironed out.

I was using the former suggestion with good results, and I am now using BB60stock, and I get much better gas mileage. You can also switch between 2 and 3 bar with that cal easily should you want to upgrade. I would price each suggestion out, and then go from there.

I would read up on the cals in the EFI section here, and also over at www.moparchem.com for more info. That will really help to let you decide if you want to take the plunge, or stick with something a little less involved.

Thaks for the good advice guys. I think I am going to head in the 87 T2 direction just because it seems like I will have a lot more options if I ever decide to chage it up. I am sure after a couple months of 14 psi I will get bored and want to raise the boost a bit.

Check out my Homepage

You can also use the computer controlled cruise with the 87 electronics.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568