View Poll Results: Do you disconnect your battery when changing cal's or computers?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I always disconnect the battery before swapping a computer or calibration

71 71.72%
  • No, I never disconnect the battery

28 28.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping Logic Modules or Chips, Disconnect Battery?

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Swapping Logic Modules or Chips, Disconnect Battery?

Just curious if people disconnect their battery when swapping out logic modules, Smecs/sbecs, or when removing and installing calibration chips.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Re: Swapping Logic Modules or Chips, Disconnect Battery?

I disconnect my battery every time, why risk it.

I don't have a radio.

turbo addict

Currently I pretty much have to remove my battery to even get to SMEC...so it's a given but if not I would do it anyway.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I usually disconnect them as well, and for the longest time I just assumed you were supposed to. One day I accidentally forgot to when swapping the Logic module in the Omni and I didn't notice any problems.

On an SBEC/SMEC car I guess you pretty much have disconnect the battery so you can remove it, but I suppose this could apply to those that have a smaller or relocated battery.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

I do it all the time without disconnecting the battery. Technically you should, but I don't bother. This is on an 87 LM car with the hole for the MAP sensor. So I can reach right in there and swap the chip. The standby power for the processor's RAM does not power the EEPROM, so the socket is unpowered as long as the ignition is off. I always discharge myself on the chassis before touching the chip or the LM.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I re-flash my SMEC from the drivers seat without ever removing the battery. On the contrary, the battery MUST be connected to be able to power up the SMEC and flash it...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I disconnect it everytime, not worth the risk. I use a quick disconnector so it takes 5 seconds with the spin of a knob-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Quick-Di...QQcmdZViewItem

I also have a garden tractor battery (350 CR) so it's small enough to fit the SMEC out without taking out the battery.

I disconnect the SMEC from the harness, then swap the chip. Seriously, what's the difference If I'm disconnecting power at the battery or the computer? I haven't any issues yet, but I have an extra computer if anything happens. Sometimes we need to learn the hard way.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Never did when I had the LM setup, but with the SMEC I have to remove the battery so it is just part of the process. Of course when I had the LM setup it was TI and I was hoping it would get damaged or break!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

i have this wierd problem with my 87 tona where if i swap chips, sometimes the cal wolnt read right or something? i'll get in boost and I wolnt have enough fuel or i'll goto start it and it wolnt start, disconnect the battery hook it back up again and everything is fine
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Never, I just slide the battery out of the way.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    i have this wierd problem with my 87 tona where if i swap chips, sometimes the cal wolnt read right or something? i'll get in boost and I wolnt have enough fuel or i'll goto start it and it wolnt start, disconnect the battery hook it back up again and everything is fine
    Probably the autocal values being stored in the processor RAM do not blend well with the other cal. Like cal 1 is setup rich, so the LM's autocal value pull fuel out. Then you put in a cal that is setup lean and the additional lean-out in the autocal values make it too lean. I have had this happen and when it does I yank the red cable out of the LM for a few seconds to reset. Since my changes are incremental, I don't usually have problems.

Hybrid booster

I don't disconnect the battery either. Not for 18 years and counting....

turbo addict

So are most of the cals you deal with on LM's Russ?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I disconnected the battery back in the day, but as time wore on, it was just faster to swap the LM out without messing with the battery. On SMEC and SBEC cars, I move the battery over to make enough room to pull the SMEC/SBEC.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    So are most of the cals you deal with on LM's Russ?
    Mainly. Mostly because my cars are LM cars. I have done a few SMEC cals "blind". The Daytona is setup for both LM/PM and SMEC operation, but I haven't had the time to mess with the SMEC part. I tried it once and it wasn't getting power, but I didn't have time to investigate.

turbo addict

The battery gets disconnected and the keys not in the ignition always, always, always! I have fried a 2 yr old Caddy by not disconnecting the battery. I've also tried diagnosing a fried GLHT due to this type of event. Not any fun.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Hybrid booster

most of the time i disconnect, but sometimes if i'm swaping to test the logic with another one i'll just swap it out without disconnecting the battery.

turbo addict

I've mostly played with the older stuff, but not that much.

The point of removing the battery and grounding yourself first is to reduce electrostatic discharge (ESD). The first, second, or even third time a chip takes a big ESD may not kill it. A big one, or enough little ones can.

Now, the LMs have connectors with uneven pin lengths. On newer stuff, the reason you do uneven pin lengths is so that ground is connected first. I haven't looked enough to double check. But if ground is the first connection, then donn-worry-bout-id.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nope... too many radio setting to re-program

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast