Thread: Traveler computer in a 90 van

Traveler computer in a 90 van

Anyone done this already? Could I use a 12 button traveler, or a two button one like this: http://home.comcast.net/~my89shelby/traveler.html The installation of this comp in a 92 Daytona was easy with these great instructions...I'd like to do the same with my van if it's possible.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Traveler computer in a 90 van

Any pre-'90 traveler can be installed in any pre-'90 car. They are self-contained and don't depend on anything special from the LM/SMEC except for the fuel metering signal. Everything else comes from the sensors themselves (fuel level, speed, etc). The '90+ cars use a 2-wire bus to communicate with the SBEC to gather data, so you need a traveler that supports the 2-wire bus. I don't think there was ever a 12 button traveler after '89.

Thanks Russ, so basically I have to wire the two button traveler into the body computer like the webpage says? I'd imagine the van's body computer is in the kickpanel also but I've never looked...
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yep...basically.

Your 90 van does NOT have a body computer. 91+ do.

Garrett booster

There is nothing on the 90+ that can substitute a fuel meter signal?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    Any pre-'90 traveler can be installed in any pre-'90 car. They are self-contained and don't depend on anything special from the LM/SMEC except for the fuel metering signal. Everything else comes from the sensors themselves (fuel level, speed, etc). The '90+ cars use a 2-wire bus to communicate with the SBEC to gather data, so you need a traveler that supports the 2-wire bus. I don't think there was ever a 12 button traveler after '89.
    Ahaaaaa!!!!!

I was uber confused about all that. That bus seems to make a first appearance in limited form in '89... but my '88 has an overhead compass/temp console that looks like it had provision for the traveller functions...and the '88 manual mentions it... so I was mystified as to how they worked on '88s and if I could retrofit.

So, I'd need any pre '90 one and it will hook up?