Thread: Thoughts on turbo 2.4 pwrd duster

turbo addict

Thoughts on turbo 2.4 pwrd duster

Well I know I can't afford a charger, but I love turbo cars so I was thinking what about a duster/dart/demon with a 2.4 turbo mated to a manual trans in RWD obviously. Wouldn't that be a crazy mofo especially with the intercooler you would mount in the front.. What kind of options are there for a trans? Is there an auto out there besides a 727 that would live behind something like this?
    Right now I'm just kicking around the idea, but it does seem pretty doable compared to making a FWD car RWD.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

Re: Thoughts on turbo 2.4 pwrd duster

There is an adapter to mate the 2.4 to a 727/904 trans. The bellhousing is the same between the 904/500 and the 727/518 and the 999 RWD tranny's for smallblocks. The 500/518 are 4 speed OD trannys. You also have the Liberty RWD tranny the 42RLE and the I think 6 speed available. Also remember you can have an adapter made for almost any combo.

Edit: derh reread and saw where you said Manual, the manual smallblock trannys should work with the adapter, the problem might be the input shaft length.

turbo addict

Hmm I wonder about the supra trans? There was an 89 supra turbo in one of the jy's nearby.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

Use that and a dakota bellhousing and bolt it up just like you would if you did a 2.4 swap on a FWD>

turbo addict

dakota bellhousing and 2.4 dont bolt up, but I guess you could make it work like others have done in FWD apps(like said above)

theres a thread about using the liberty bell housing and supra trans with a 2.4 but i dont think anyone has done it yet?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Just make an adapter and run whatever transmission you want. If I can bolt a powerglide to a SBF with only hand tools, you can surely create a trans adapter with the equipment you have access to!!!

turbo addict

This liberty bellhousing idea sounds promising.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

NVG 5600 trans? Oh wait....does that have a granny style 1st gear?
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

The supra trans can handle whatever that 2.4 will make so I'm kinda leaning that route and the 250 dollar price is a steal if I can get it sometime this year.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    NVG 5600 trans? Oh wait....does that have a granny style 1st gear?
    Yes it does and its heavy as you know what.The G56 is lighter but still has the granny first gear.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I was thinking of another 6 speed, other than a pricey Viper trans, and that is what popped up. Then realized I was talking truck transmissions. I've heard of the guys putting Supra transmissions in, but was trying to think of another one. Not a lot of choices.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Heres kinda what I plan on doing for the color scheme. I was thinking of going to the NYG neon color though.