Thread: 340/360 Turbo Crate Motor??

340/360 Turbo Crate Motor??

hey guys i got a 72 plymouth valiant with a 318 and i want to do a 340 or 360 single turbo build. is there any companies out there that will build me a low compression crate motor for this?? any ideas will help thanks

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 340/360 Turbo Crate Motor??

You can find a 360 all day. 340 is hard to find and will cost a lot. I think putting in a modern Hemi would be cool. Easy to find.

turbo addict

the 340 is going to cost quite a bit more to to find and build, a 360 is pretty easy to find, check your local classifieds, craigslist, or salvage yard for one of those. Why not turbo the 318, you already have it and have money saved right there. If going that rout switch to a 4bbl manifold and carb, fi is prefered for tuning but you can go turbo'd w/o it, and bigger exhaust ounce you decide what your going to do turbo wise.

sounds like a great idea, id love to have a turbo'd v8

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

360's are around but getting harder to find. 340's, unless you have a very thick wallet, forget it.

You can buy crate motors from Dodge or check the mags, IE Car Craft, Hot Rod, tons of companies in there that sell turn key engines. Usually that can be the way to go if you don't have a 360 core or just want to limit your down time. You'll also need 360 engine mount brackets, there different on a 318, and you'll need a 360 torque converter as there balanced differently than a 318.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    360's are around but getting harder to find. 340's, unless you have a very thick wallet, forget it.

You can buy crate motors from Dodge or check the mags, IE Car Craft, Hot Rod, tons of companies in there that sell turn key engines. Usually that can be the way to go if you don't have a 360 core or just want to limit your down time. You'll also need 360 engine mount brackets, there different on a 318, and you'll need a 360 torque converter as there balanced differently than a 318.
    yep, heck a bunch of magazines did tests to make 318s kick out 400hp and the 360 is externally ballenced the other sbs are internally ballenced , good point simon i forgot that

Yup, a 318 done right with BOLT ONS can do 400 HP on pump gas. Thats what I am aiming for in my 1985 D100 pickup.

Like this:
    http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...ild/index.html

Hybrid booster

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2709

doing the plumbing with the old engine, new 318 on the floor behind it. It was an old 702 suck through SBD turbo kit and was on a 360 Aspen. I kept the turbo and the intake top to convert it to blow through. The Holley projection is a lot like a TD computer. The TBI 4 barrel comander system is good to 600 HP with 4 85lb injectors. The key is the injectors run 85 at only 21 PSI fuel pressure, easy to up. The comand has knock sensor timing retard, open loop boost fuel and spark curves, electric fan support, and wastegate control. The Holley system uses a hall effect, same as used on TBI 88-92 Dodge V8s. You can with old Dodge sensors build a 2 bar system and control the 318 like any 2.2. This build has a large water to air IC, air to air won't fit. A race WP 318 water pump and race stat are used and a big rad, you need cooling. The 318 is an easy build. cheap 8.5:1 compression forged pistons in a older forged crank block. Cat rods are also dirt cheap and more than enough. Cam? Not much different than a 2.2, wide lobe sepperation and a big one is not needed. low RPM 500+ WHP 318, very reliable. The 950 systems are cheap on Ebay, around $500. Go big on the wastegate with a V8, I got a 60mm for it.