Thread: Headlights - what color wire feeds switch?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Headlights - what color wire feeds switch?

Help. 85 GLHT. I'm sitting d still isn't really fixed, just moved further down the honey-do list (I think it's on page 8 or 9 somewhere).
    own with a good book - FSM - to figure this thing out. Lost the headlights/tailights, dome light, radio and I dunno what all else. Car runs but no lights? Recently had to replace alternator that was fried by a shorted battery which also took out the orange 20 gauge fusible link. When that fusible link went it took the ignition and the dash lights but the head lights/tailights still worked. A day after I replaced the alternator and battery and the fusible link, the headlights go out? WTF?

Had the dash/lights switch out. When I jump around whatever feeds the switch, the lights all work. Pulled the bulkhead connector, found nothing.

Just now I'm studying the FSM's "Fuse Application Chart" page MZ page 1 for L bodies of the "LM/Z Wiring Diagrams" section - OK, I get that. But . . . I'm also looking at MZ page 20 "Head Lamp Switch" and I confess, I can't read the diagram, can't figure where (what color wire) the power is coming in to the switch on?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Re: Headlights - what color wire feeds switch?

There are two power feeds to the headlamp switch. L1 feeds:

- the part of the switch that powers the headlights
    - fuse 6 for radio, dome light, cig lighter, etc.
    - fuse 7 for the horn, which also goes to the headlamp switch for all the other lighting

Sounds like you lost L1. It's a grey fusible link.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Headlights - what color wire feeds switch?

Thanks Russ -

A SoCalTM friend - Butch Suppe - figured it out today for me while I built/installed baffles in his 2.5 CB pan. The black wire (L1) that comes off of the grey 18 gauge fusible link had pushed out/fallen out of the bulkhead junction block. Apparently I pulled it nearly loose a few days earlier when I replaced the orange fusible link and then it took a few miles to vibrate completely loose.

Now for the burnt out windshield wiper motor . . . and the cal, and the . . . .
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia