Thread: Is this head even usable?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Is this head even usable?

I have a TIII head that I would like to send out to be fixed. It has the typical core plug crack which I know can be fixed, but the cam bores don't look so good. Here are some pics:

http://www.turbosedan.com/spirit/DSC03739.JPG
    http://www.turbosedan.com/spirit/DSC03740.JPG
    http://www.turbosedan.com/spirit/DSC03741.JPG
    http://www.turbosedan.com/spirit/DSC03742.JPG

The scraping is not very deep, but some are enough to catch a fingernail on. Can it be honed, or would oversize cam bearings have to be fitted? How expensive would that be to have done?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Is this head even usable?

If the scratches just barely catch a fingernail, I'd guess that it could be honed, but it would have a higher amount of oil throw-off, I don't know if that would be a real problem or not, but I would think that there would at least be a bit more windage losses.

Installing cam bearings might be a way to go, but the webbing looks a little thin, the machining required might make it too thin. If that's the case you could try having the cam journals ground down and use "undersized" bearings. Seems like a lot of work either way if it won't clean-up.

Mike

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Those are too deep, it will cost you oil pressure. A bearing insert if available or welded up and cut down to spec.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Well crap. I don't think I will ever buy a used TIII head again unless I can see it in person first. Bought two; burned twice.

(EDIT) Anybody think they can fix this head (including the crack)? I may send it to Absolute Auto Machine in Kansas. I have more money into this head than I care to admit, but hate to cut my losses just yet.
    Last edited by iTurbo; 03-08-2008 at 12:08 AM.

turbo addict

I'm still looking into finding bearing inserts. I'm in the same boat. Over $1500 in a head that turned out to be warped and wrecked the cam bores & journals similar to that.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

boostaholic

Dont throw away heads that need "cam bearings" yet. I was talking with Cindy for quite a while on this and we devised a plan for them. It just depends on when either of us will have time to do something with it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Keep us posted.

Not that I've got any TIII issues, but I'm sympathetic to your collective cause.

+1. That would be great if it works out. I would be glad to provide the guinea pig.

Garrett booster

I've got a few heads with this problem too, hadn't decided whether or not to use them yet, am very interested if somebody finds a solution.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Well never fear guys, I am working on it, I need to fix one head with bad cam journals, it should take me a couple weeks to figure it out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info