Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparing Intercoolers Thread

turbo addict

Comparing Intercoolers Thread

From reading through the induction and lounge threads, I gather that a lot of us have a lot of questions about intercoolers, how well they work, which cars they are good for, pros, cons, inlet and outlet sizes, what PSI they hold, pressure drop, you name it.

I'm looking to upgrade (maybe an SRT4, not sure how that will fit in a J body), so I'm hoping that with some discussion and experiences I can learn a bit to help my decision and the rest of us can benefit.

As A Start:

As we all know, the stockers are a bit limited. I don't know much, except that the Audi 10V IC I'm using is only slightly better (at least my PSI went up and the car felt faster) than my stock VNT intercooler. The inlets and outlets are both on the same side which made plumbing quite easy, but not so good for flow, and I don't think I'd try it over 14psi.

turbo addict

Re: Comparing Intercoolers Thread

I can only offer info on stock, vs volvo vs srt-4 and I really don't want to re type the whole thing so i hope this link works.http://www.turbododge.com/forums/sho...932#post901932

if you want to see a pic of the srt in my shadow, it's in the "show off your i/c pics" section. I can't see why it can't work in a j body, there's a little more room.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I picked up a spearco for my omni because it is a proven performer. I have only run it at 15PSI, and I made many other changes at the same time so there is no direct comparison.

After all the work it took to put an SRT-4 IC into the front of my shadow, I think I would have rather picked up a large NPR and been done with it in about 1/10th the time.

turbo addict

Isn't the NPR so large that you have to sacrifice A/C though? Where are the inlets and outlets on it? I think they're on either side, which means more difficult plumbing, but better flow through the intercooler. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

turbo addict

Has anyone used the Porsche 944 Intercoolers? I've heard they're pretty good for under 300hp, which is what I'm looking for, and seem like they should be easy to plumb. How are the end tanks on them and what are the inlet/outlet sizes.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Paul Veliky (MRBOOST) has been running one on his Daytona for quite some time. He's running really low 12s.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Whorse
    Isn't the NPR so large that you have to sacrifice A/C though? Where are the inlets and outlets on it? I think they're on either side, which means more difficult plumbing, but better flow through the intercooler. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
    most don't keep the AC with the large NPR from what I have seen. You are right about the outlets. Although think it flows well because it is so large. Any IC where the tanks are on opposite sides and do not require the air to do a 180 in the IC with no outlet on that side are going to flow better than those that dont'/

turbo addict

How does the NPR compare to the Powerstroke (This would be for my van, not my lebaron)? Both are about the same price on ebay usually, but the powerstroke is harder to find.

How does the NPR compare to the Powerstroke (This would be for my van, not my lebaron)? Both are about the same price on ebay usually, but the powerstroke is harder to find.
    The powerstroke ICs are a waste of time IMO. They don't flow for anything.

turbo addict

They seem to be more money as well and harder to plumb. Any advantages or just go NPR?

They seem to be more money as well and harder to plumb. Any advantages or just go NPR?
    Between the NPR and PS, there is no contest IMO. NPR hands down.

turbo addict

What about 944 vs. SRT 4? Seem to be similar in size, heard good things about both. SRT is supposed to have very efficient end tanks from what I've read.

Not too sure how much of a difference there would be between the SRT4 and 944ICs. I know that the 944 flows well, as it is 4" thick IIRC.

I wonder what the difference in cooling would be between the two?

turbo addict

I've talked to an old Porsche vet that really stood by the 944 IC because of how thick it is. Apparantly being so thick helps the cooling a lot on a low front mounted application as it's not exposed to much heat and won't warm up as quickly. If it's getting a lot of engine/rad heat though, the back side can stay a bit warmer and not cool as well, so according to him, mounting is important, but when done well, probably one of the best for it's size.

turbo addict

Just an interesting note for today. I put my stock IC (I think the VNT IC is supposed to have less fins than the T2) back in the car, instead of the Audi unit I had in. I put it up front and down low and had some interesting results. The car seemed to pull a lot harder across the powerband, but only hit 11psi, while the audi unit would hit 12-13psi, but didn't seem to pull nearly as hard. I redid a couple vaccuum lines, but I know they didn't leak before, just shortened them a few feet to clean things up, so I don't think that's in.

FYI, the probe intercooler isn't that great. lol

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Rat
    FYI, the probe intercooler isn't that great. lol

They're better than a poke in the eye!!!!

Or nothing at all for that matter.

But two should get you up to about 300hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Wink
    They're better than a poke in the eye!!!!

Or nothing at all for that matter.

True. I'm using one on my van.

turbo addict

What about the RX7 IC for a Van?

I believe that turbovanman was running one, and it worked well for a while. He has since suprpassed its abilities though.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast