Thread: Blow off valve on an early T1

Mitsu booster

Blow off valve on an early T1

Ok i was a few towns over and i seen a guy with an old newyorker. He takes off at the light and what i hear "A BLOW OFF VALVE". I knew by the look it had to be a loged car so i trailed him to the gas station and we had a little chet chat. And he poped his hood and there it was a blow off valve inline with the intake hose. He said it was there when he bought it so yeah, but when he took it it made the noice and everything....How can it be i thought the blow off valve well not do anything on an old log setup..... Some one shine some light on this

Re: Blow off valve on an early T1

I can't see anyway a BOV could work on a suck thru(log) setup. what intake hose was it on?turbo to intake manifold?
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

On a log TI car the intake hose to turbo hose is only like 3" long not enough room for a BOV, nor is there any use for one on a suck thru turbo setup.

However the last year for the E-body New Yorker was 1988 and those did have a Blow through TI in the came with a factory BOV. However they have the TII style intake not the old TI log.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Not impossible, but T O T A L L Y pointless.

i ndont see a way you could even get one to function properly on a suck thru setup. to release any boost it would need to be between the turbo and intake but by the time thats in vac, theres no boost to release, and by opening the bov its like opening the TB or causing a really big vac leak.

are you sure it had a log intake?
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP