Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reuseable auto tranny pan gasket & filter part numbers

Re: Reuseable auto tranny pan gasket & filter part numbers

Looking at Rock Auto for the filter, WIX, Hastings, ATP? Any of these will be good? Anyone had experience with a particular brand or should I just go to the dealer and order theirs? Does the dealer sell the one with the reusable gasket and how important is that? I can't imagine I would be pulling that pan enough to worry about using a reusable gasket. New to the autos and this type of maintenance, so any advice is appreciated.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Looking at Rock Auto for the filter, WIX, Hastings, ATP? Any of these will be good? Anyone had experience with a particular brand or should I just go to the dealer and order theirs? Does the dealer sell the one with the reusable gasket and how important is that? I can't imagine I would be pulling that pan enough to worry about using a reusable gasket. New to the autos and this type of maintenance, so any advice is appreciated.
    The factory uses RTV for the pan gasket. The reusable gasket is pricey and RTV is cheap so the dealer isn't going to install the reusable gasket. I prefer Wix products. The dealer is going to go with the cheapest supplier so you don't know what you're getting.

That's what I wanted to know. I've heard of WIX, heard good things and figured if I can get it from RA for a decent price and get a good product, I'm in good shape. Thanks AJ!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I use Wix # 51085 for both my '87 SL & '89 Lebaron GTS and it fits my wife's '03 T&C. It's a little bigger and requires you to cut the plastic connector ( on the H body ) around one of the terminals on the alternator. Rock Auto offers a deal if you buy twelve (12) filters at one time. Also I like the reusable tranny gasket on my H bodies.

Got the filter, but what about fluid? Any brands recommended? I don't plan to get Coastal unless someone says so otherwise, but not sure who makes good ATF that has "all the right stuff". Assuming there are some additives in it. BTW, what is the filter change frequency? I've put 30K on the car since I got it and no telling when the filter was changed last.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I use Walmart +4 in anything requiring it. For something being sold as "ATF +4" its all supposed to meet the same standards no matter who's name is on the bottle.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I'm gonna do a trans service on my daughter's 90 TBI LeBaron when I get home from a biz trip to Denver this weekend. I went with parts store gasket because I was in a hurry and was planning to get it done BEFORE my trip. Ooops. You're gonna flush all the old fluid from the convertor right JT? Also I use the +$ fluid but like to mix in 2-3 quarts of "Trick shift" that I buy a case at a time from Jegs. The 928 actually seemed to pick up power from a complete flush and some Trick Shift when I did it last year.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

I'll have to look at the service manual and see what the process is I'd like to, yes and if it's something I can do at home I will. I have an 89 service manual, assuming that will show the process? Also have 85 manuals.

No, shade tree mechanic trick, easiest with two people. You use the pump in the trans to flush the system completely(otherwise you only get 4 quarts out instead of 10) Change filter and pan gasket then refill the 3 quarts you lost plus overfill 2 more. Take the trans cooler line loose on the pressure side and extend the hose with some clear PVC tube from home depot(so you can see and monitor the COLOR of the fluid coming out) After your extended hose is put into an appropriate receptacle l(I use and old glass sparklettes water jug) start the motor and watch the color and amount flowing out, careful, it will flow FAST! Get three or so quarts out then shut it down and fill 3 more plus one overfill. Do that twice and the fluid will be coming thru the clear hose fresh and new My Brother taught me this trick that he learned working on RV transmissions. Those things would take like 20 quarts for a complete flush. A couple quarts of Trick Shift makes me happy. Who knows if the trans cares

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I use the gasket that comes in the box on customer cars, doesn't leak and no worrying about RTV sealing with oil dripping down.

Don't forget to adjust the bands when doing a service, the outside one not a big deal but the inside one obviously needs the pan dropped.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    I use the gasket that comes in the box on customer cars, doesn't leak and no worrying about RTV sealing with oil dripping down.

Don't forget to adjust the bands when doing a service, the outside one not a big deal but the inside one obviously needs the pan dropped.
    Yeah, I'm not very auto trans literate Simon, is tightening the bands easy, what's the process, special tools? I don't think my daughters car makes enough power to have ever any flare or slip but if it's easy to do while the pan is off...

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Yeah, I'm not very auto trans literate Simon, is tightening the bands easy, what's the process, special tools? I don't think my daughters car makes enough power to have ever any flare or slip but if it's easy to do while the pan is off...
    The outside one, just back off the 18mm nut, tighten the center bolt with an 8mm socket snug, then back off 1.5 turns, hold it and tighten the nut. Internal band, you are supposed to use a torque wrench but I got good at feeling the correct adjustment.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Kewl thanks. So if I *were* to break out the torque wrench, do you know the spec?

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Kewl thanks. So if I *were* to break out the torque wrench, do you know the spec?
    41 inch/lbs, then back off 3.5 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    41 inch/lbs, then back off 3.5 turns.
    Thanks. I spent 4 hours on VC gasket, disassembling TB and replacing the AIS motor today. Some DipSh!t mechanic tried to make a TBI VC gasket outta just RTV. it didn't work. Nice and leak free now and runs 100% better. I'll tackle the trans flush/band adjust and balance shaft delete next weekend TBI cars need every HP they can get!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12