Thread: Competiton Tires

Mitsu booster

Competiton Tires

Looking for some advise from owners that are using r compound tires on there shelby. I have a CSX-T with Koesi 15 x 7. About 6 years ago I was using Khumo then but I know other tires are better. What is the best for our cars?

I have used Pilot cup tires on my other non Shelby cars!

Mike

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Competiton Tires

Are you autocrossing?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Best bang for the buck - Falken Azenis 205-50-15s. 200 treadwear rating, cap rubber is same as their racing tires, stiff sidewalls, you can run lower pressures for a less jarring ride
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Mitsu booster

It is road racing.

Not looking for a street tire just for the track. I belive 225-50-15 is the best size choice!

I hear the Hoosiers are great but not very forgiving!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I've heard the same about hoosiers... BFG R1's are supposed to be great if you can still get them in 225/50/15.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I think that they still make the PS Cups in a 225/50r15 (thank you Porsche), and you know those are awesome. We sold a few sets to customers in different sizes while I still worked in the tire shop. They all loved them. Other than that and the BGF that JT mentioned I wouldn't have any suggestions. Make sure to post up some pics.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

On our FSAE car we used Hoosiers and Avons. Avons were the best, but they wore out quick. We were testing some really soft compounds though. Sorry no sticky car tire experience though.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff speeddemon's Avatar

If your looking for full slicks (in no particular order)

Hoosier R6, BFG g-Force R1, Khumo V710.

- Hoosiers provide ultimate grip in my opinion but need to be taken care of or they will wear quickly
    - The V710 is the old standard
    - I hear good things about the R1
    - Avons were longer wearing from what I was told

Grassroots Magazine did a comparo not too long ago. I can dig it out if you like.
    Craig
    SDAC Board Member
    1985 GHLT
    1986 GLHS 047
    2005 SRT4 ACR

Hybrid booster

i love the khumos v710s they stick very Well i am putting those on my tona in a few weeks hopefully

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Speaking of Avons, I had a problem with my motorcycle - '86 GSXR1100 - which has 18" wheels and the whole world has gone to 17" so there are zero "good" tires in 18" so the best I could find was some Avon "Roadriders" and - frankly - they are excellent. Avon does not describe them as "race" just "sport" or some such. Well, I'm hangin with/even pushing very good riders on newer bikes fitted with Michelin Pilot Powers and Pirelli Diablos while I'm on stinkin Avons! These guys are like - "WTF? how can you ride that old POS on those POS tires?" Honestly, it's not me, the tires are really good. Avon's rubber chemistry is much improved.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Avon's rubber chemistry is much improved.
    And they make nice smelling perfume too.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    And they make nice smelling perfume too.