Thread: Slicks

Slicks

I know most people use M/T or M&H's, but has anybody tried the Hoosier 225/50/15 slicks? It's a size thats actually meant for our cars so it sounds pretty good to me, no spacers required!
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Slicks

Are these relatively new?

Try them out and please report your results!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I saw them around last fall, they look like the same size as the 23" M&H's. They're also a radial that has less side wall flex than a slick and they cost more. I'd only consider those if you want to race on street night or do not want to use slicks but I would not buy them in lieu of a pair of slicks.

They are taller than the MH 23'', these are 23.7''. They are also .7'' wider on the tread so they will get a better bite.
    But it never occured to me that these are drag radials. Just looking at them I thought they are slicks. Yeah I can read.....LOL.
    So I wonder how much better than BFG DR's they are. But BFG's can be driven on the street when these can't.
    Ahh, OK guys nevermind I guess they aren't worth the $.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Yes those are actually drag radials, not slicks which are typically bias ply. So they would not be a direct comparison to the 23" or 24.5" M&H Racemasters or MT ET Drags.

Now they would, however, be a direct comparison to MT ET Streets. which are a hair closer to slicks than the BFG DR's... and they are D.O.T so you should be able to drive them on the street legally like other DR's

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

They are not approved, nor recommended for any kind of street use
    Thats what it says about these drag radials....

I just looked up M&H's Racemaster (what we use) and it also says ''DOT approved''. So I dunno why it says that for either of these tires.

OK the wording is the catalog is misleading. MH's racemaster's aren't DOT legal, it's just stating that some of their other tires are.

I know Summit says that for liability, wonder what MT or Hoosier sites say?

M&H makes slicks and DOT "cheater slicks" ... I believe their cheaters are still bias ply, not radials tho so closer to slicks, but with tread. I have a pair of 295's for the Dak

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Thats what it says about these drag radials....

I just looked up M&H's Racemaster (what we use) and it also says ''DOT approved''. So I dunno why it says that for either of these tires.
    Maybe to be legal for use in certain classes requiring dot radials. Just a guess. I had looked at them when I had the SRT as I was using BFG 225-50-15 and they were in need of replacing, but I replaced the car instead.

From the hoosier site-
    ''NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE: All Hoosier Racing Tires including DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for racing purposes only on specified racing surfaces and are not to be operated on public roadways. DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death. ''

Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    Maybe to be legal for use in certain classes requiring dot radials. Just a guess. I had looked at them when I had the SRT as I was using BFG 225-50-15 and they were in need of replacing, but I replaced the car instead.
    I didn't think of that, you are more than likely correct. Something like SCCA AutoX racing probably requires a DOT tire.

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    From the hoosier site-
    ''NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE: All Hoosier Racing Tires including DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for racing purposes only on specified racing surfaces and are not to be operated on public roadways. DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death. ''
    Sounds like thy got a few lawyers...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President