Thread: ARP studs too long?: TIII head on a CB

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor powermaxx's Avatar

ARP studs too long?: TIII head on a CB

I'm doing the TIII head conversion using an 89 CB. Went to install the TIII ARP studs and I see about 4 threads showing. Is this normal? Are TIII blocks threaded deeper?

Chased the threads, etc... Put a stud in the head to see how much was sticking out for the nut/washer, it looks about right.

TIA

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Re: ARP studs too long?: TIII head on a CB

Are you saying with the head on the block, the stud only come out of the head four threads? Did you tighten the studs down into the block?

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor powermaxx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    Are you saying with the head on the block, the stud only come out of the head four threads? Did you tighten the studs down into the block?
    No. Head not on the block. Just ran the stud into the block and looked at the amount of threads left showing above the deck. I'm used to seeing studs fully threaded into whatever they are ment to be screwed into. Yes, I did tighten them up but not so much as to mess the threads up.

I then took the stud and slipped it into the head the amount that would normally be "engaged" in the head as if it were installed. The amount of threads showing above the head (nut and washer) looks about right.

Quote Originally Posted by powermaxx View Post
    No. Head not on the block. Just ran the stud into the block and looked at the amount of threads left showing above the deck. I'm used to seeing studs fully threaded into whatever they are ment to be screwed into. Yes, I did tighten them up but not so much as to mess the threads up.

I then took the stud and slipped it into the head the amount that would normally be "engaged" in the head as if it were installed. The amount of threads showing above the head (nut and washer) looks about right.
    Hi Steve,

Give us a call. I think we can help you with the correct length studs.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

If they are the t3 head studs, they will be fine. Mine were exactally the way you described them.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Thats normal, just make sure you haven't bottomed them out. I simply had them finger tight, then backed off 2 turns, There not meant to be fully tightened and as long as you have thread sticking out past the nuts, your good to go.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info