Page 53 of 87 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1732

Thread: BSX progress....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: BSX progress....

Off topic time

I know it was more than a year ago that you had some tire shake happen and there was some discussion on it. Well, a buddy bought a camera capable of 1200fps and he was recording a dragster this last weekend. Here is a video at 300fps of some tireshake. I would have never guessed the wheel would distort that violently. At the beginning you can see the wheel come right off the ground and near the end the shake is so bad it dislodges his GoPro which flies back to hit him in the face.

Here it is courtesy of Ron at Revolution Motorsports in Alberta.

Helping Brian go faster is always ON topic. cool vid

turbo addict

1.5mm is definitely thick enough to transfer heat. There is also the possibility of ring flutter with a 1.5mm ring on high rpm setups, as unlikely as that might be. That will also cause the same problem since the top ring wont be able to transfer heat until its "too late" and the top ring binds up in the ringland.

How would you compare your top ring depth from piston crown compared to the peasantry. Off the shelf pistons?

Just throwing out the more oddball ideas so you can keep them in mind. They are legit problems that happen to some people. Glad you are running a restrictor.

Regarding mixing the filler, did you do it in a 70 degree shop? My architect dad once was making fun of some sidewalk at my University (jab at whoever did it) which to him was obviously mixed incorrectly for the ambient temperature (elevated walkway that doesn't have the insulating properties of concrete on the ground so if its cold, the concrete fully feels it). It had turned into gravel.
    Old batch? Annoying if the product is really temperamental.
    Do they have a tech line you can call?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Off topic time

I know it was more than a year ago that you had some tire shake happen and there was some discussion on it. Well, a buddy bought a camera capable of 1200fps and he was recording a dragster this last weekend. Here is a video at 300fps of some tireshake. I would have never guessed the wheel would distort that violently. At the beginning you can see the wheel come right off the ground and near the end the shake is so bad it dislodges his GoPro which flies back to hit him in the face.

Here it is courtesy of Ron at Revolution Motorsports in Alberta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koDNj_LnB2E
    Very cool vid! No wonder concussions can happen with violent enough shake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    1.5mm is definitely thick enough to transfer heat. There is also the possibility of ring flutter with a 1.5mm ring on high rpm setups, as unlikely as that might be. That will also cause the same problem since the top ring wont be able to transfer heat until its "too late" and the top ring binds up in the ringland.

How would you compare your top ring depth from piston crown compared to the peasantry. Off the shelf pistons?

Just throwing out the more oddball ideas so you can keep them in mind. They are legit problems that happen to some people. Glad you are running a restrictor.

Regarding mixing the filler, did you do it in a 70 degree shop? My architect dad once was making fun of some sidewalk at my University (jab at whoever did it) which to him was obviously mixed incorrectly for the ambient temperature (elevated walkway that doesn't have the insulating properties of concrete on the ground so if its cold, the concrete fully feels it). It had turned into gravel.
    Old batch? Annoying if the product is really temperamental.
    Do they have a tech line you can call?
    Good points. Flutter is inevitable, we can only try and keep it from occuring on the comp./combustion stroke. i.e. accumulator groove, lighter/smaller ring, gas ports, etc.

I was using basically an off the shelf JE. Since I wanted a better ring/material I went with a custom JE this time around. I moved the top ringland down another .015" and the ringpack consists of a 1.0,1.2,3.0 rings. Nitride steel top ring, napier style 2nd, and good ole standard tension oil rings. Pistons are gas ported to keep the top ring sealed under high boost.

I did not check to see if they had a tech line, but I did do some talking to others that have used it. Some have said if the block wasn't prepped correctly could have contributed to the flaking. But I did use muriatic acid to clean it. I am going to see how it works out and keep a close eye on it.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

turbo addict

I think you will like the ring setup if it all seats together properly
    I remember getting grief from someone (I think it was venolia when I bought real pistons 5 years ago) about gas ports saying they would just clog up but to me the modern gas port doesn't protrude into the crown, it just bypasses a little bit of the ringland to help get pressure behind the ring. Post up a pic of yours!
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I think you will like the ring setup if it all seats together properly
    I remember getting grief from someone (I think it was venolia when I bought real pistons 5 years ago) about gas ports saying they would just clog up but to me the modern gas port doesn't protrude into the crown, it just bypasses a little bit of the ring land to help get pressure behind the ring. Post up a pic of yours!
    The one thing about a true race motor is they really don't have the mileage/time to plug up before the next re-ring/ rod bearing job.

I chose a vertical gas port. A lateral port is typically used where teardowns/maintenance are less frequent. However, if all is well with the tune, the ports shouldn't clog or need special attention. Pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5906.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	26068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5907.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	26069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5908.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	26070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5909.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	26071  

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

turbo addict

WOW that ringpack is low! I wonder how those gas ports would do if a person decided to coat the tops of those pistons with TBC? I know it isn't that thick, but I'd be concerned about them getting blocked off.

Also, is there a reason you don't "debur" the crowns? I have been doing it since I got my Venolias to try and keep hot spots down. I can't really prove it works, but it seems like a sound idea. Just curious...

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Wow those sure are purty. Interesting on the vertical gas ports, I had never heard of those. Are there any results showing improvement on the vertical vs lateral ports? I could see how if that we're a street car how quickly those could plug with carbon.

Got the BSX fired up this past Wednesday. So I Headed to Cecil to shake her down a bit for an upcoming event. Thanks to Mike and Joe Marra for some extra hands

Plan was to keep the boost low by running on the spring and keep a watchful eye over the gauges.

First pass- 9.937 @ 142.76 track was cold and I hit it hard on launch.

Second pass- 9.699 @ 142.01 Lowered the slicks to 8.5 left pretty hard (11.5 psi)

Final pass and best of the day-
    r/t - .058
    60' - 1.499---woohoo finally, new PB
    330'- 4.004
    1/8 - 6.109
    mph - 118.11
    1000'- 7.970
    1/4 - 9.557
    mph - 141.80

This pass I dropped the slicks to 7.5 and launched with 11.5 psi. She ran great and never skipped a beat. Got back to the pits to grab the data. Boost was 18psi. It felt good to be back in the drivers seat

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

AWESOME 60' Brian!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

I haven't run ported pistons in about 18year and only on N/a motors . do you think they realy helped with this latest run on lower boost? I was think of getting my pistons done .

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Good to see, Brian! Just awesome to see your dedication to racing and your will to succeed! My fingers are crossed for some 8's this year still.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Huge congratulations to you Brian.

Looking at those numbers I must ask what the 60' TM record is, and what is the record ET on 18PSI?

Nice Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    I haven't run ported pistons in about 18year and only on N/a motors . do you think they realy helped with this latest run on lower boost? I was think of getting my pistons done .
    For the ringset I am running now, they would not live without a gasport. Depending on what rings and use should determine the use of a gasport. What's the setup like?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Good to see, Brian! Just awesome to see your dedication to racing and your will to succeed! My fingers are crossed for some 8's this year still.
    Thanks! I am in a constant state of tunnel vision until my 8 sec. pass is accomplished

Thanks for the kudos guys!

This time around I swapped in a set of solid lifters to try out. I feel they have played a part in how the car is working. Downside to them is the install took over 7+ hours We'll see how it works out with more boost and RPM...

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point2 View Post
    This time around I swapped in a set of solid lifters to try out. I feel they have played a part in how the car is working. Downside to them is the install took over 7+ hours We'll see how it works out with more boost and RPM...
    Ouch on the 7 hrs but seems they have helped.... how did the lash hold up after the runs?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

in your sig, it says 9.05 1/4... is that the best you ran from this recent outing? or was the 9.557 you wrote the best of this outing? just curious, if the 9.557 is best from this time, why dont you go back towards what you had done to the car when you ran the 9.05?

Not bashing you or anything of course lol, heck i never had a car this fast or even have the patience/time/money for, just seeing your lust for 8 sec and 9.05 is much closer then 9.557 and a lot of new things you have been trying so maybe going backwards would help?

Hybrid booster

In case you overlooked it, these were his shake down passes on only 18 psi. He wants to test things out before he ups the boost and goes for the gusto!

Fantastic Brian!