Page 80 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3070767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1732

Thread: BSX progress....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: BSX progress....

Ditto, can't wait to see you go faster. Will be pretty cool to see the differences in power and boost over the hybrid if your keeping the same turbo.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    I hate when that happens. How high viscosity oil where you using?
    I was running Joe Gibbs BR which is a 15w50. Bad decision on my part and should've run the BR30 as I did in the past.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Brian, did you do anything to help oil return to the pan? I don't know how the oil returns look. I have only had problems with oil not draining fast enough when my exhaust evacuation was sucking too much air out of the crankcase of a high blowbye motor. I found out because oil filled the middle of my Vee block. Lucky I didn't make any long pulls or super high rpms!!!! That was with 20-50 and lucas because of the blowbye/burn so it was very thick even when warmed up.
    When the engine was put back together, I changed one of the drain back hoses to try and clean things up a bit. It cleaned things up but in hindsight may have been a contributor to the failure. Instead of running downhill right out of the head, it was heading horizontal for a section of the run.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point2 View Post
    When the engine was put back together, I changed one of the drain back hoses to try and clean things up a bit. It cleaned things up but in hindsight may have been a contributor to the failure. Instead of running downhill right out of the head, it was heading horizontal for a section of the run.
    Those sorts of self inflicted sabotage sure take the fun out of racing. You wouldn't believe the stupid mistake I made assembling my new engine. Good thing I was working the bugs out at the local airport before I took it to the track. I caught the problem before it self destructed(and it would have been catastrophic), I guess that is why I test.
    I will be pulling the head off this weekend, still plan on racing this year though.
    Hope to see your car running again Brian.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Great to see this thread alive again!!!!!
    Ditto!

Still looking into this but pretty sure the stock pump will be going back on.
    For what its worth, the stock 2.4L pump and ATI damper *knocks on wood* have held up OK in mine... I have a billet gear that I never put in and not sure if I want to even touch it now *cringe*

- - - Updated - - -

Those sorts of self inflicted sabotage sure take the fun out of racing. You wouldn't believe the stupid mistake I made assembling my new engine. Good thing I was working the bugs out at the local airport before I took it to the track. I caught the problem before it self destructed(and it would have been catastrophic), I guess that is why I test.
    I will be pulling the head off this weekend, still plan on racing this year though.
    Hope to see your car running again Brian.
    Glad you caught it!

Any change you cane make it out to Norwalk in September? its a VERY nice track...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Not a whole lot to report as of late. I did manage to make the filler neck for it though. Slowe and steady

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0994.JPG 
Views:	1023 
Size:	614.0 KB 
ID:	52375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0992.JPG 
Views:	1010 
Size:	580.7 KB 
ID:	52374  

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Garrett booster

I love seeing your work of art...
    Looks fantastic.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I may have to add "NSFW" to your plog.
    Fapworthy.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Brian, Do you offer welding lessons? were do we sign up?
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS320 View Post
    I love seeing your work of art...
    Looks fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I may have to add "NSFW" to your plog.
    Fapworthy.
    Thanks Guys!

Lol. C'mon Warren, I know you know your way around with a tig torch

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I don't think I would want to pay what that looks like that costs. How mirror image is the 420a? Looks like the same spot I need an adapter but I need it on the intake side.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 12-13-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I've been thinking about traction bars for my Daytona this winter.

Since yours is the only TM with them, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Why 2 wheels, and why wide? I was thinking of a single wheel. In my class, I'm limited to 4' behind the rear axle, or to the rear bumper, whichever is longer. So, I can't have bars that long. Also, mine has to be mounted to the rear axle.

2. Did you notice any better consistency in your short times? That's mainly what I'm after. We're a bit different in that you're going for the ultimate ET, and I'm really bracket racing within NHRA stock class rules...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I don't think I would want to pay what that looks like that costs. How mirror image is the 420a? Looks like the same spot I need an adapter but I need it on the intake side.
    I hear you on the costs of things to produce. I find myself occasionally fighting the urge to take a shortcut. In the end it just makes for a nicer piece albeit, more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    I've been thinking about traction bars for my Daytona this winter.

Since yours is the only TM with them, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Why 2 wheels, and why wide? I was thinking of a single wheel. In my class, I'm limited to 4' behind the rear axle, or to the rear bumper, whichever is longer. So, I can't have bars that long. Also, mine has to be mounted to the rear axle.

2. Did you notice any better consistency in your short times? That's mainly what I'm after. We're a bit different in that you're going for the ultimate ET, and I'm really bracket racing within NHRA stock class rules...
    When I went to put the bars on my car I felt that the 2 wheel wide bar would help out with stability. More of the car touching the ground, and in the groove. Since there wasn't anyone in our community to ask, I decided to take a route that I had seen in place on a number of cars in the Hot Rod class from way back when. In the end, im not sure if there is any advantage over a single wheel.

The length probably has the greatest effect on how the bars make the chassis work but if you're limited, then stay with that. I don't see the bars helping that much if they are to be connected to the rear axle and not the chassis. Since you still have a suspension in between the axle and chassis, I think the car will react just as it does now.

The short times from the first testing day- oct 2012- 1.348, 1.343, 1.387
    Short times from a few months prior(sans wheelie bar) 1.52, 1.47

I have only a handful of passes, <6, with the bars on but I think they will ultimately end up making the car more consistent.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

When I went to put the bars on my car I felt that the 2 wheel wide bar would help out with stability. More of the car touching the ground, and in the groove. Since there wasn't anyone in our community to ask, I decided to take a route that I had seen in place on a number of cars in the Hot Rod class from way back when. In the end, im not sure if there is any advantage over a single wheel.

The length probably has the greatest effect on how the bars make the chassis work but if you're limited, then stay with that. I don't see the bars helping that much if they are to be connected to the rear axle and not the chassis. Since you still have a suspension in between the axle and chassis, I think the car will react just as it does now.

The short times from the first testing day- oct 2012- 1.348, 1.343, 1.387
    Short times from a few months prior(sans wheelie bar) 1.52, 1.47

I have only a handful of passes, <6, with the bars on but I think they will ultimately end up making the car more consistent.
    I think they can still help if they are axle mounted, but I think the wheel will need to be on the ground while staging to maximize the benefit.

The cat lifts in the front and squats in the rear without a bar.

Are your bars touching from the starting line?

That's a huge improvement in short time, seems very consistent, too.

Did you notice any improvement in your reaction times? That's another area I'm hoping the bars will help. I've found that my R/T is all over the place, just like my short times. Not sure which is the chicken or the egg there...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Does it have to be completely mounted to the axle with no body contact or can half the mounts be on the axle and half on the body? I agree that completely on the axle won't do much. All you get is the angular rotation of the axle vs the shift of the body which when I think about it is actually in the wrong direction. If you are able to connect to both or bend the rules in your favor you could have the action of the body getting closer to the axle pivot the wheels towards the ground. I haven't done an FBD but it would be interesting to compare the two theoretically.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Does it have to be completely mounted to the axle with no body contact or can half the mounts be on the axle and half on the body? I agree that completely on the axle won't do much. All you get is the angular rotation of the axle vs the shift of the body which when I think about it is actually in the wrong direction. If you are able to connect to both or bend the rules in your favor you could have the action of the body getting closer to the axle pivot the wheels towards the ground. I haven't done an FBD but it would be interesting to compare the two theoretically.
    [chip from napoleon dynamite]Now that's what I'm talking about[/chip from napoleon dynamite]

I think the only way to reap any sort of benefit would be to have them act as a snubber of some sort or to have the body actuate the bars when it comes down.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    [chip from napoleon dynamite]Now that's what I'm talking about[/chip from napoleon dynamite]

I think the only way to reap any sort of benefit would be to have them act as a snubber of some sort or to have the body actuate the bars when it comes down.
    Was thinking the exact same thing here...on the axle only, I don't see how there is any benefit unless it's preloaded/angled such that the bar wheels were actually carrying a portion of the cars weight and you added a ton of spring rate to the back.

Do you have any pics of your header up?

No doubt.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Back from the dead. Updating this thread with my plans for the BSX. I have decided to hang up the hybrid and go 2.4. I feel the hybrid was very successful and I had a blast developing it over the years but it's run is over
    I should touch base with you in a few weeks Brian, work on "this winters project" might be done ahead of time and Andy and I have been discussing working on the getting the chassis done for the Reliant. Initial goals are modest, get the platform sorted out and then start working on getting fresh power out of the 8V SOHC. Doing the math very deep into the 9's is possible, was actually shooting for high 8's before Heather and I parted company.

Spent the last 4 years trying to get caught up on a number of projects and get the house settled, be nice to hit the track again. Even picked up a trailer last year and got the truck sorted out for towing duty.

Gary Donovan

Working on clearing the decks.

Considering what's been done in the last few years, low 9's or 8's shouldn't be an issue Gary.