Thread: Good 12v ignition source

Hybrid booster

Good 12v ignition source

I need to hook up the heater element for my 4 wire o2 sensor so I need a good 12v ignition source. I have my boost/wideband/egt gauge tapped into the 12v ignition source the radio uses. But I don't want to run a wire all the way inside the car for the o2 sensor. Is there a good underhood 12v ignition source that is close to the o2 sensor???

Re: Good 12v ignition source

Isn't there a 12v going to the fuel rail? If not depending on what car you have, there are 2 12v sources running into the car via the 40 way bulk for L bodies. You could run one out of there and through the loom that runs on the back of the engine bay. Shouldn't be more than 4 ft of wire you'll need.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I would tap into the "Z1" feed which is the 12v supply from the ASD relay which powers the injectors and ignition coil. It is the black/green wire. That is how the factory does it.

+1...there is usually a splice in the Z1 circuit for the injector harness and the ground is power ground at the fuel rail bolt.

turbo addict

On my '86 I found an unused connector under the cover for the vacuum solenoids. Just about the first pin I put my DMM on was a switched 12v. No need to splice at all, I just used a crimp on blade connector and shoved it in the socket.

turbo addict

On the GLHT and SC's there is a 14ga dark blue wire near the solenoid bank, actually it powers that. It also runs to the diagnostic connector. That is a good place to get a 12V ign-on source. The GLHS' spliced into that circuit for the heated O2 sensor. It's the J2 circuit if that helps. This circuit won't take amperage away from the coil or injectors like the black/green wire mentioned above would.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Either will work. Z1 is just J2 after the ASD relay. So the only difference using J2 is if the ignition is on but the motor isn't running, the O2 heater will be on. No big deal.

Hybrid booster

Awesome thanks guys. That's what I was looking for was something over there by the o2 sensor so I could hide the wiring as much as possible while also feeding it the 12 volts. Thanks a lot.

Hybrid booster

when i switched my o2 sensor to heated the connector under the vac. solenoids is where i got my power source from too. made a nice neat install without any excess wire.