Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1991 High Torque 5spd ECM on a 413 auto

Garrett booster

1991 High Torque 5spd ECM on a 413 auto

Hey guys,

I've gotten a hold of a ECM out of a '91 Daytona CS 5spd car. I'm finishing putting together my 90 Daytona ES that has a T1/413 in it. Can I just plug in the '91 High torque ECM and run it? I know the 413 isn't suppost to handle the power but I don't care. I've got 3 of these 413's sitting in my shop. All from T1 cars. The ECM dosen't control the trans right? The only plug goint to the trans is the back up light and neutral start switch. The shift is controled by the modulator cable. But are all the pin outs the same for the ECM plug? I've got 3 T1/Auto ECM's and the one '91 T1/5spd High Torque. So I was going to socket one and try my own custom tune. But this one would be cool for the interum.

Re: 1991 High Torque 5spd ECM on a 413 auto

If I recall right the high torque 2.5 turbo was ONLY with the automatic and the 5 speed cars was still the regular 150 HP and 180 lb ft of torque.

Someone else will know better than me I'm sure.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

It'll work fine; no worries.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    If I recall right the high torque 2.5 turbo was ONLY with the automatic and the 5 speed cars was still the regular 150 HP and 180 lb ft of torque.

Strike that, reverse it....

5 speed cars only.

Automatic tranny if it's healthy can handle a lot more than the high torque ECU. Regular T1's auto's limit boost to 7 PSI until 4000 RPM and then 9 PSI. The high torque gives I think ~11 PSI, sooner in the RPM band giving it the higher torque. Thats really the only difference, you'd be better off just running a manual boost controller set to ~13 PSI. You'll have boost sooner and a lot more power pretty much throughout the whole RPM band. Most auto's can handle 13 PSI.

Garrett booster

I wasn't going to run a manual boost controller because I didn't think it would work out the fuel and spark as well. I've got the controller. 15 min and it's in. I'll mess with the trick tuning when I socket one of the other controllers. Besides the wife and dear old mom might be using the car from time to time. So I want simplified operation for them.

up till 14.7 you can run whatever boost an you'll be fine, just slap a g-vavle in on your stock cal and set it to 14 psi and you'll be good
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post

True...

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/22.html

I've found MANY things wrong with allpars facts, find another source because I'm pretty darn certain that the high torque didn't come with the automatics because the tranny's can't handle it. It doesn't even make sense to put the high torque in the automatics anyway, it's the reason they got the 568 tranny's and not even the 523 (although we know the 523 can handle pretty high HP).

Allpar is wrong, 5 speed only-
    http://www.moparautos.com/daytona89-91.htm
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...que-170-a.html

This one from your favorite wikipedia, an answer clearly states the high torque had the 568-
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_pu..._do_major_work

How about the person that just found one in a junkyard recently?
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22836

Is that enough yet?

The high torque was with the automatic because they also put lockup torque converters in for that year (91-92) as well.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    How about the person that just found one in a junkyard recently?
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22836

Is that enough yet?
    Is that enough yet? if I say no will you post more links? j/k

I have no solid proof other than what i was told by Gary Donovan and what I have previously read on Allpar. If you say Allpar is not factual than I will have to dig a little deeper for the correct answer.

I could have sworn my old 1991 Daytona Shelby was in fact a "high torque" 2.5 T1 but that was what I was told and I have no proof of that. To be honest most of the links you supplied quoted the 568 transmission as being "high torque"...which it was indeed due to it's power handling capability...but none of those links said anything about the computer being "high torque" as they are two different things...which I think is where the confusion is.

I know Gary told me he wanted my old stock and MP computers because they were the "high torque" code. Maybe he was wrong?...therefor maybe myself and Allpar are wrong/ Like I said I have no proof but I will search later when I have some time for the facts.

Whats does the lockup converter have to do with the high torque 2.5? Did you not read the 4 links I posted? The auto tranny was not rated for that high of torque which is why only the 5 speed was used.

Read the first link I posted, in the chart near the bottom it clearly states high torque 2.5 and for auto trans it reads N/A.
    Second link I posted to turbo dodge will several people claim the HT 2.5 came with a manual trans.
    third link, yeah thats questionable about ''high torque'', but whatever what about the 3 other links I posted?
    Last link, the guy actually found the car in the junkyard with the T1/568 combo. The T1 only got the 568 if it was the high torque version.
    The automatic trans for cars was NEVER rated for more than 200 ft/lbs (not even that I think, 190?) therefore was never put with the high torque 2.5.

turbo addict

Read the first link I posted, in the chart near the bottom it clearly states high torque 2.5 and for auto trans it reads N/A.
    Second link I posted to turbo dodge will several people claim the HT 2.5 came with a manual trans.
    third link, yeah thats questionable about ''high torque'', but whatever what about the 3 other links I posted?
    Last link, the guy actually found the car in the junkyard with the T1/568 combo. The T1 only got the 568 if it was the high torque version.
    The automatic trans for cars was NEVER rated for more than 200 ft/lbs (not even that I think, 190?) therefore was never put with the high torque 2.5.
    I think you are right and it only makes sense...but I too understood that the high torque boost schedule along with the lock up converter went hand in hand. Saying one web site is right and one web site is wrong really makes things a wash IMO and just like this thread shows there is confusion among us all.

turbo addict

It looks like we have allot of wrong web sites if what you say is true:

http://www.shelbycsx.com/history.2.2L.shtml

I'm seeing allot of web sites saying that the "High Torque" 2.5 Turbo 1 engine was standard in all Daytona Shelby's.

I bet Rob knows as he does allot of calibration work...and it's in the code of the SBEC so that should settle the question.

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    It looks like we have allot of wrong web sites if what you say is true:

http://www.shelbycsx.com/history.2.2L.shtml
    That site is copied directly from allpar, your first misinformed site you linked to

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    I bet Rob knows as he does allot of calibration work...and it's in the code of the SBEC so that should settle the question.

Read the turbo dodge link I posted! Shel-game (rob) posted in it saying the HT 2.5 is a 5 speed!

Edit-

If you put a hi-torq computer into an auto car, you get 210ft-lbs

turbo addict

Read the turbo dodge link I posted! Shel-game (rob) posted in it saying the HT 2.5 is a 5 speed!

Edit-

If you put a hi-torq computer into an auto car, you get 210ft-lbs
    Now that makes sense and is factual! Good Job I wonder how everyone else got so confused?

You didn't read all the links I posted way back 10 posts ago?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast