Thread: I need help diagnosing an ignition problem on a saturn

I need help diagnosing an ignition problem on a saturn

I am trying to fix my brother in law's 2002 Saturn L200 with the 2.2 4 cylinder. It has a misfire in cylinders 2 and 3 so I know it is either the ignition module or the coil packs. How can I tell which one? I would normally think it would be the coil packs but there was a recall for the ignition module, which was done on the car in 03, that has the same symptoms.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Re: I need help diagnosing an ignition problem on a saturn

Well Audi had an issue with their coil packs, all of them for the year my ex-gf had. However, they didn't show it as a recall, even though that part number was the one they knew had issues. I wouldn't rule it out.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

A couple of techs on saturn fans say 99% of the time it is the module and not the packs. My gut instinct was the module from the beginning but I just want to be as sure as possible.

I went with my instinct and just bought the ignition module. As usual I was right. Way to go GM!!! Do a recall for a faulty part and then the recall replacement ends up failing like the original.

Hybrid booster

Gotta love Saturns. Those cars are pieces of crap

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    Gotta love Saturns. Those cars are pieces of crap
    actually the old s series were good for at least 150,000 miles and some would go well over 250,000. When GM assimilated them just like all the other GM bands their quality went down. So now they are just as bad as every other domestic car. When will the US car manufactures learn from the imports and stop buying stuff from the lowest bidder?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    actually the old s series were good for at least 150,000 miles and some would go well over 250,000. When GM assimilated them just like all the other GM bands their quality went down. So now they are just as bad as every other domestic car. When will the US car manufactures learn from the imports and stop buying stuff from the lowest bidder?

I don't know the different saturns. But I worked at an oil change place for about a year a couple of years ago and we didn't get a single 90's saturn in that didn't burn oil like crazy. They were all down at least 1/2 of the oil capacity. And would be so gunked up it took 5 minutes to fill the new oil back in because it had to be added so slowly. 75% of them didn't even have 100k miles on em yet either and they were that bad.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    I don't know the different saturns. But I worked at an oil change place for about a year a couple of years ago and we didn't get a single 90's saturn in that didn't burn oil like crazy. They were all down at least 1/2 of the oil capacity. And would be so gunked up it took 5 minutes to fill the new oil back in because it had to be added so slowly. 75% of them didn't even have 100k miles on em yet either and they were that bad.
    The oil control rings did not do their job, but if you kept oil in it they would run for a long time. The GFs SL2 got great mpgs compared to our neon, and also seemed like more solid of a car. The neon is much easier to work on though. Her car had 154K and change on it when we killed it in a small stream. The motor was getting very tired, but it still fired up every time.

turbo addict

TD guys talking about other cars being junk and having problems...I have to laugh as our cars have MORE than their share of problems, but at leastthey are easy to work on.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

We have a 99' SL2, it's a great car apart from being automatic. My wife's sister had an SL2 5 speed, I drove it a few times and like it way better. But it gets 30-35 MPG, the 5 speed gets like 35-40.
    For their purpose (cheap economical transportation), it's a great car. I don't really have the oil trouble you guys are talking about although I've heard that many times, at 3000 miles it's 1 quart low. Standard tolerance is 1 quart every 1000 miles.
    The real problem is most people barely know how to just put gas in a car, let alone check the oil. If they are taking it to a quicky lube most of the time it's those kind of people and also most of the time it's gone much more than 3000 miles too. My mom has a 00' integra, she knows how to check the oil and never does. That car burns about 2-3 quarts by 3000 miles, mostly because she never pays attention and goes 4000-5000 miles on the quicky lube oil which is not cool.

Mitsu booster

i used to have a 92 sl2 with about 200k miles on it.... the engine ran fine but a week or so after i sold it the guys gf hit a telephone pole head on (the car actually still ran after that but it looked horrible) one car i had that did have an oil burning problem was an 89 eagle summit it actually ended up burning all the oil and thats why it broke.... (i knew there was a reason i wanted to check it that morning too....)

turbo addict

Ummm.... TD. Hmmm, I wonder why they are breaking down all the time. I had a brief stint at a Saturn dealer when I was in college and most of the techs had nothing but accalades for those cars. They do have oil issues if they are not RELIGIOUSLY changed at 3K like clockwork. Also, they should have regular service intervals obviously. However, most people beat on these cars and don't maintain them just like the TD's. MANY people use the Saturn motors in the off-road/dune-buggy world because of it's durability. The blocks have a high nickel content and are structurally sound. They are actually a great motor to use...

Lets face it people, most of the individuals that buy "disposable cars" are either a) young, b) financially challenged, c) cheap-azzes or d) "eco-friendly-treehuggers." Now, how many of the people that fit this genre were proactive car owners?

Back when our cars were initially released THEY were these same disposable heaps too. That's why most examples of a TD are beat down piles of rusting goo that's been thrashed on when it wasn't ever designed to be. Then we try and bring them back from the dead and restore these "priceless gems." At least it keeps the price down for the "tweakers" because they never had a commanding following. They were originally intended to be a "contender" in the "economic sporty world" instead of the other lackadaisical piles that were being turned out during the 80's. Nobody looked at the TD's for major performance because the platform/body itself is structurally lacking. That is why the other mustangs, camaros, monte carlo's, and other larger, more powerful 2 dr coupes got all the praise. even to this day a ragged out Monte carlo SS will STILL get twice as much value as a pristine TD. I'm telling you... a TD is just a glorified Phord Festiva on steroids!
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Hybrid booster

Sorry I didnt show up sooner to help man... but glad you got it solved.

ANYWAYS.. Being a GM tech I have access to info like I have cut n pasted below. Sure helps eliminate a lot of guessing.

BULLETIN#03-T-01: Severe Engine Misfire on Paired Cylinders (1 and 4 or 2 and 3) - (Apr 16, 2003)

Subject: Severe Engine Misfire on Paired Cylinders (1 and 4 or 2 and 3), DTCs P0300 - P0304 2.2L 4 cyl (L61) Revised Repair Procedure (Replace Ignition Cassette, Install New Spark Plug, Reprogram PCM if Needed)

Models: 2002 and 2003 Saturn L-Series with 2.2L 4 Cylinder Engine (VIN F - RPO L61) - Built Up To and Including VIN Breakpoint 3Y541043

Condition

Some customers may comment on severe engine misfire.
    Cause

Internal ignition module failures may be influenced by interaction between spark plug characteristics and PCM software.
    Correction

Once condition has been verified as an ignition module failure, install revised part number spark plugs, check and/or replace PCM calibration and replace ignition cassette.
    Service Procedure

1. Diagnose misfire condition using latest available Service Manual information. If condition is diagnosed as a failed ignition cassette, continue with this procedure, otherwise continue with Service Manual diagnostic procedure.
    2. Replace spark plugs with the spark plug part number described in this bulletin.

Important: All four spark plugs should be the same part number.
    3. Replace ignition cassette assembly.
    4. Using a portable scan tool, check the current PCM calibration ID. Refer to the calibration table in this bulletin. If the current calibration is listed in this table, reprogram PCM with the calibration available starting November 2002, on the Saturn Service Stall CD version TIS 11/2002 or later.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

To receive credit for this repair during the warranty coverage period, submit a claim through the Saturn Dealer System for J4345 (Coil, Electronic Ignition Module - Replace). "Add times" are provided for Spark Plug replacement and PCM reprogramming. If another procedure is performed, refer to the appropriate Electronic Labor Time Guide for the correct Labor Operation Code and Time.

Thanks. I did change the plugs when I changed the ignition module.