Thread: push to connect vacuum block???

Hybrid booster

Question push to connect vacuum block???

McMaster-Carr P/N 4785K22

Has anyone used one of these manifolds before? I need to redo the vacuum lines on the van I'm thinking of giving one of these a try. I'm not sure if 1/4" lines would be big enough to get a good signal to the fpr and map. I would like to use plastic lines instead of the silicone that I have used in the past. I'm putting in a order to mcmaster tomorrow. Let me know what you think.

Re: push to connect vacuum block???

i have used the push-to-connect unions they sell to hook up my boost gauge line. that design is great for a reliable connection.

.250" is huge for a vacuum line, the stock hard plastic lines are about .156" (5/32").

Hybrid booster

I went with just a normal vacuum block with 1/8" push to connect fittings. We'll see how it works.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

We use quick connects on some assembly machines and they seem to work ok. Only have lines pop off once in a while after they age a bit.

My only concern would be what temperature range the quick connects are rated too? Underhood temps in the summer are ~200°F+ depending on where the vacuum lines roam. In the winter, -40°F depending on where you go.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Yeah, I remember those things on the printing press I used to work on. It's usually the hose that would slowly collapse over time and let go. The locks were nylon and took the heat OK. I guess it would depend on what kind of hose was used.

Hybrid booster

Heat was a concern of mine also, the ones that I ordered say there good up to 300 degrees. I'll give it a try and see what happens this summer.

Cool, let us know how they work... 300°F should be good unles it is setting on the tubro or exhaust manifold!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Cool, let us know how they work... 300°F should be good unles it is setting on the tubro or exhaust manifold!
    +1. I've had a plastic alky line get real soft on me in a short time when it was sitting right over the intake. So I would be wise and mount the block above the manifold. Perhaps on the firewall.

Hybrid booster

i used a regular vacuum block with the hard clear plastic lines, it worked good for awhile, the heat wasnt a problem, it was when winter hit and the got cold, they started cracking and splitting, i would stick with silicone and zip ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    +1. I've had a plastic alky line get real soft on me in a short time when it was sitting right over the intake. So I would be wise and mount the block above the manifold. Perhaps on the firewall.
    Maybe not on the firewall right above the intake & turbo where the head from the intake & turbo goes tho.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President