Thread: Limited Slip

Limited Slip

What, exactly, is limited slip, and what does it do? I know it gives you better traction during acceleration and cornering, but how does it work? And what's the difference between and open and locked differential?

I'm asking this because my truck has a limited slip differential, and I was wondering what the advantages of this were.

turbo addict

Re: Limited Slip

there are a bunch of types of limited slip diffs. some reading will do you well. a locker has teeth and will click real bad around corners and maybe drag the outside wheel a little. clutch types apply pressure to the spider gears but tend to wear out faster. atb type (quaife, obx, kaaz) is the best for turning but takes a little longer to even out torque so they "shimmy" a little when dragging, but not so bad as to be dangerous as long as you hold on tight. there's a quick synopsis.

Thanks for the link. The first one is especially helpful.

Anyone know what kind of limited slip came on the '01 Rams? The dealer I bought it from said it had a "Trac Lock" differential. Is that a Torsen type?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Trac Loc is a locker...

simply put there are 4 general types:

open - no left to right power bias
    limited slip - limited left to right power bias (limited by clutches or gears)
    locker - open diff until it locks then see spool (can be centrigugal or physically locked like electric or air lockers)
    spool - left and right are connected, no actual differential to bias left to right

.....thread moved to 'trans' section for future reference

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Trac Loc is a locker...

simply put there are 4 general types:

open - no left to right power bias
    limited slip - limited left to right power bias (limited by clutches or gears)
    locker - open diff until it locks then see spool (can be centrigugal or physically locked like electric or air lockers)
    spool - left and right are connected, no actual differential to bias left to right

.....thread moved to 'trans' section for future reference
    But there's no button on my dash or any where else to lock my rear diff. Plus, it uses synthetic fluid with a "friction modifier."

turbo addict

lockers can be spring loaded too. most factory lockers are clutch type.

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    Ok, thanks for the info, guys!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    exactly... what I refered to as 'centrifugal' ... get it on some snow or even wet pavement and hit the gas, it should spin the right rear then bam, sideways

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.