Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbonator LM codebase

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: Turbonator LM codebase

ahhhhhhh where to begin.

Test 1.

Ok, I put used the same cal as last time, started the car, moved it around so the speed sensor would see a signal (backed it out of the garage, pulled back in), basically the same thing. When the engine is cold it also seems I can rev to high heaven (or can I).

Test 2

started over from 'stock'. Burned a new chip with nothing done to it except scaled for +20s. Started the car up, hit the gas, and it was breaking up immediatley. I noticed it wouldnt go much over 0 psig when it was breaking up. Funny thing, when I go WOT I still get the scenerio where the car basically dies, so I held it to see what would happen. At about 1000 rpms it started sputtering and popping and trying to run, but was just breaking up really badly. End test 2.

Test 3.

Same cal as test 2 with one adjustment, I took the 'boostallowedvsspeed' and made it a solid line, ie no taper at the beginning, just 12 psi across the board. Results: same as test 2. So test 2 and 3 were done with the stock cal, no anti-lag, no staging mod, no boost adjustment, and I still have this bad breaking up issue.

Next thing Im going to try is to compile the cal from the assembly file and see what I get.

clay
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hmm, well I'm out of suggestions at the moment. I'm going to be moving my car to a new garage this weekend, so I'm working on a new turbonator v3 cal right now and will have a shot to test it tomorrow (although I probably won't have time to datalog).

I'm not too sure that re-compliing the code is going to make a difference, though. The reason I did it in my test was because the cal was only supplied as source (I believe).

well Ive finally got my Innovate SSI-4 here, so after I get it hooked up maybe I can datalog a by myself to see whats going on.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Yeah, I don't understand the breaking up thing. The only WOT checks I added/altered are in the Staging Limiter and Anti-Lag code. And, you turned those off.

I do have a v4 ready with a small change to the anti-lag code, but still waiting for more feedback before I release it.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    well Ive finally got my Innovate SSI-4 here, so after I get it hooked up maybe I can datalog a by myself to see whats going on.
    Dunno if you're interested or not, but over on moparchem there's a couple of datalogging programs. There's LMlog and also a program (that I wrote) that integrates with Innovate's logworks2 software. You would have to mod the LM to have a serial or USB interface on it, but all the info is over there to tackle the project start to finish.

Since you have the external logger, it may be more trouble than it's worth but I figured I'd mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand the breaking up thing. The only WOT checks I added/altered are in the Staging Limiter and Anti-Lag code. And, you turned those off.

I do have a v4 ready with a small change to the anti-lag code, but still waiting for more feedback before I release it.
    TEASE!!!!

Sorry, I just don't want to release it only to find some other problem later that same day...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Sorry, I just don't want to release it only to find some other problem later that same day...
    I understand, seemed funnier when I wrote it.

Anyways, I had a chance to try the V3 cal today. My car does pretty much the same thing clay's does. It bounces at the limiter like 2 or 3 times, then basically shuts off until you lift off the throttle. Even a little lift on the throttle starts to bring the car back to life. I can go WOT with my car without worrying about it over-revving. My car also doesn't break up, just bounces off the limiter a few times. It does start to come back alive when the rpm's go close to idle. I can say that v1 would bounce off the limiter for quite some time. It seems like the fuel or timing is shut off until it gets back to idle.

I didn't have a chance to try it with the anti-lag off. I haven't had a chance to look at the code but is it possible that the cal is continually subtracting timing, until it gets to the point where the car no longer is sparking?

The cal was configured as below:
    Set manual transmission and 3 bar in source and compiled.
    Used dcal to set the config flags for staging limiter and anti-lag all others were off, unchecked all switches for staging limiter.
    Scaled fuel in chem2 (way lean @ idle, but probably my fault)
    Raised staging limiter set point to 6 mph, set idle transition to 6 mph.
    Low boost clip set to 20, all other boost tables set up to 20 psi (switch boost off).

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    I understand, seemed funnier when I wrote it.

Anyways, I had a chance to try the V3 cal today. My car does pretty much the same thing clay's does. It bounces at the limiter like 2 or 3 times, then basically shuts off until you lift off the throttle. Even a little lift on the throttle starts to bring the car back to life. I can go WOT with my car without worrying about it over-revving. My car also doesn't break up, just bounces off the limiter a few times. It does start to come back alive when the rpm's go close to idle. I can say that v1 would bounce off the limiter for quite some time. It seems like the fuel or timing is shut off until it gets back to idle.

I didn't have a chance to try it with the anti-lag off. I haven't had a chance to look at the code but is it possible that the cal is continually subtracting timing, until it gets to the point where the car no longer is sparking?

The cal was configured as below:
    Set manual transmission and 3 bar in source and compiled.
    Used dcal to set the config flags for staging limiter and anti-lag all others were off, unchecked all switches for staging limiter.
    Scaled fuel in chem2 (way lean @ idle, but probably my fault)
    Raised staging limiter set point to 6 mph, set idle transition to 6 mph.
    Low boost clip set to 20, all other boost tables set up to 20 psi (switch boost off).
    Yup, sounds familiar. I guess the staging mod (or rev limit of some kind) could be setting this off. I noticed it does tend to happen around the staging limit RPM, and does seem to pick back up around idle. I just called this breaking up, as I dont have a better name for it.

The cal running super lean at idle is also something I see.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Yup, sounds familiar. I guess the staging mod (or rev limit of some kind) could be setting this off. I noticed it does tend to happen around the staging limit RPM, and does seem to pick back up around idle. I just called this breaking up, as I dont have a better name for it.

Yeah, but it happened to you even when you had the anti-lag and staging limiter turned off i nthe cal, right? If so, then it's probably something else.

OK, I'll give it all a good look over next week and see if I can find this.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Rob - yup, your right it did the same thing with out the staging mod turned on.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

I still don't like where I pull the anti-lag out. So, I need to rethink that. But, that doesn't explain why it breaks up with anti-lag off. Hmm...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

@ Idle, my W/B was saying 23.0:1 for afr (basically pegged lean). Once I gave it a little gas it cleared up, but once back to idle, it would go super lean again. Still odd, as I scaled the fuel in v1 the same way ad I did in this cal. Anyways, once I get some more time I'll try and run the cal with a datalog and with the various options on/off.

I guess that could be an effect of the anti-lag. It tries to control idle with spark and fuel, and if the anti-lag was taking timing out, it might mess with the mixture at idle.

I think the problem with the breaking up was due to how I was removing the anti-lag timing (anti-lag was broken in v1 and didn't do anything). I totally changed that and I'll post v4 later tonight. Just need to check it over again...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

OK, v4 is posted. If this doesn't fix the breaking up issue, then I'll probably pull my hair out. Wait, it's already mostly gone.

I changed how I was removing the Anti-Lag retard. I now remove it directly from the WOT timing table before it gets saved to the temp variable. Everything else is the same as v3.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

ok, dont pull your hair out just yet.

Today I burned a v4 cal. Only thing I did was open the cal in chem2 and scale for +20s. Thats it, nothing more, nothing less. Nothing turned on or moved.

My first impression is the idle a/f is much better, around 16/17, where the others were pegged at 23.99.

This time it didnt seem to "break up", but the WOT/engine revs/engine dies/engine starts chugging around idle (1000 RPM) condition is still there.

I let it warm up, the matted the go pedal. The engine would rev up to 4500/5000 range, then just die. I left my foot on the gas pedal, and waited, when the RPMs hit around 1000/idle range, it would start going again, and the revs would very slowly chug their way up. I never left it in that for very long. Remove foot from pedal, and back to idle, all was normal.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

I've looked it over pretty much all day today and I can't find anything wrong with it - especially if the anti-lag and staging mods are turned off. I'm going to have to take a couple days off from it. I'll probably see it just fine after I haven't looked at it for a while...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

ok, found something that may contribute, maybe not.

I was reading this post: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=12

Do you think that could have something to do with it, the autocal part is what Im talking about.

Ive never disconnected the computer since I started playing around, so the old BB60 ram info may be still in the computer. Hmmmmmmmm.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

ok, found something that may contribute, maybe not.

I was reading this post: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=12

Do you think that could have something to do with it, the autocal part is what Im talking about.

Ive never disconnected the computer since I started playing around, so the old BB60 ram info may be still in the computer. Hmmmmmmmm.
    To be honest with you, I was wondering the same thing after reading that. The first time I tried the v1 cal it was in a freshly socketed LM that I had never run before, but there were vairous problems with that cal. I didn't have a chance to try it in the newer LM the last time, so mabye the bb60 adaptives are causing my lean idle. If I get a chance I can use lmlog next time to look at them and see what they look like.

However, I still don't see how the adaptives could cause the cal to shut off after hitting the limiter a couple of times.

true.

Ive got my LM out right now, so Ill try it again this weekend.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast