Thread: stereo upgrades

Hybrid booster

stereo upgrades

I'm wanting to beef up the stereo system in my '86 K-vert, even with aftermarket speakers it sounds like crap.
    I'mn thinking of trying to box in the rear speaker area and add some bigger speakers for a little more bass, and maybe add a small sub like a bazooka tube to the trunk area.

what should i be looking for as far as the sub, and what's the best way to box in the rear speaker area?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: stereo upgrades

I would just add a separate component sub/amp and use a x-over to limit the low frequencies going to the aftermarket coaxial speakers. You'll get a much cleaner/louder sound that way.

On my Spirit R/T, I have Pioneer coaxial 5 1/4" in the doors, and a Pioneer 12" sub and amp in the trunk. The Pioneer headunit I have has built-in high-pass filter to prevent the low frequencies going to the 5 1/4"s, and a built-in low-pass filter to keep only low frequencies going to the sub. The headunit provides all the power the 5 1/4"s need and the amp just powers the sub. It sounds very good IMO and I can turn it up quite loud while still sounding good.

Hybrid booster

that's a thought..... i might just look into that .
    how big of a box are you running? i don't have a ton of trunk romm which is why i was thinking of a bazooka tube type sub

Just a cheapo sealed box that you put together from Walmart. I think it's made by Scosche. It barely fits in my Spirit trunk, but that keeps it from rolling around too.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Just a cheapo sealed box that you put together from Walmart. I think it's made by Scosche. It barely fits in my Spirit trunk, but that keeps it from rolling around too.
    i have a pair of the scosche 6x9 boxes. i wasnt satisfied with their "pre-applied industrial grade sealant" ie double sided foam tape, so i sealed mine internally with silicone including the terminal cup.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I need to do that to my 12" box. The double sided tape sucks, and the wood screws strip out in the boards easily. I have those 6x9 boxes in my Omni. I just secure them to the back seat with the seat belts since I never have passengers anyway.

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

If you don't seal the doors in your car, or wherever you mount the speakers, you aren't going to get optimal sound.

It's not hard to do, either.

Go to home depot/lowes and get some peel and seal. It's usually by the shingles, and it looks like thick black tape with tinfoil on one side. It usually comes in rolls of about 6 inches wide by 20 feet or so.

Also see if you can find a wallpaper roller and a razor blade. Maybe some kind of paint thinner to prep the door.

Clean the door really well, and make a 'skin' out of the peel/seal. You'll have much better all-around sound.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Hybrid booster

it's not the fronts i'm worried about so much, it's the rear speakers.
    they are open in the back and the only thing covering them is the skirt for the top well.
    there isn't really enough room around the mechanism for the top to box them in, and there isn't enough room to put some 6x9s in there also.

any ideas for sealing up the rear speakers?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Go to home depot/lowes and get some peel and seal. It's usually by the shingles, and it looks like thick black tape with tinfoil on one side. It usually comes in rolls of about 6 inches wide by 20 feet or so....
    Sounds like SOMEBODY'S trying to cheat Dynamat out of a few bux..
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I got 100sq ft of sound destroyer from ebay for $100 or so shipped. It seems to work pretty well but probably isn't sticky enough for cold climates. Pretty much all modern cars have sound deadening in the hatch and rear seat areas so I also added it there on top of covering all of the areas behnd the speakers.

I also got some pillow stuffing from the fabric store and filled behind the speakers. I did leave a bit of an opening behind the speaker but for the most part filled in everything to cut down the volume behind the speaker.

Overall I think the biggest improvement was the addition of an amp to my system instead of using deck power.

I put in an alpine MRP-F240 (40wx4 RMS) amp in and it makes a huge difference. I don't think I will even bother with a sub. With infinity reference 6.5s in the front and 6x9s in the rear the lows are really pretty good.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Overall I think the biggest improvement was the addition of an amp to my system instead of using deck power.

I put in an alpine MRP-F240 (40wx4 RMS) amp in and it makes a huge difference. I don't think I will even bother with a sub. With infinity reference 6.5s in the front and 6x9s in the rear the lows are really pretty good.

-Rich
    I'm thinking of adding an amp, but i really think i'm gonna need a small sub to get some bass responce, having a convertible sucks sometimes

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I looked around for reviews on them and didn't find much and found less positive things.

I decided that it was better to get some sound deadener and just fill the cavities with pillow stuffing from the fabric store. They have a poly fill for like $3 a bag or something. 2 bags filled both sides of the rear speakers on the charger. The front doors are harder to deal with since they have moving parts. They are smaller speakers anyway so I just accept that my lows have to come from the rear speakers.

One other interesting option would be to use dual 6.5 (or even 6x9) subwoofers (yes some companies make 6x9 subwoofers these days) in the rear speaker locations with 6.5s in the front. You really only need 2 good full range speakers anyway.

Link to 6x9 subwoofer site

Or the low profile version

They are 8 Ohms or 4 Ohms for the low profile one. So you could probably run them in parallel with a regular mono sub amp.

I haven't tried them but I think it might be a better option than a sub box in a hatchback plus boxes are HEAVY and fun cars don't like heavy!

-Rich