Thread: L-body Suspension Upgrades

Hybrid booster

L-body Suspension Upgrades

While my rear axle is out, is there anything I can do to strengthen/stiffen it up back there?? (other than poly mounts, etc as I'm doing that for sure, same with koni coilovers)

Also will the front swaybar from an 86 C/S daytona fit on the charger?

thanks

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: L-body Suspension Upgrades

You can weld in a piece of steel across the bottom between the swaybar and the axle. There was a great write up in Grassroot magazine a few years ago. Let me know and I can take a picture of mine. Polybushings.com also has new bushings for it.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

On my GLH Turbo I installed new poly bushings and an L-body rear antisway bar from PolyBushings.com The L-body rear axle assembly is a lot more rigid than the K-based cars.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    On my GLH Turbo I installed new poly bushings and an L-body rear antisway bar from PolyBushings.com The L-body rear axle assembly is a lot more rigid than the K-based cars.

by chance do you have pics of the install?

Yes, but they are on the 'other' site from long ago.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...-overhaul.html

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm not so sure about what is the best. I did both - welded up the L body rear axle/beam AND put in a sway bar. Result? Spooky oversteer.

So, added a thicker Lebaron GTS front sway bar. Helped. Still spooky. Then I took out the rear sway bar. Better still. That's where I'm at now.

Next step will be to toss the L body A arms for a more free swinging pivot set up. Poly on the front A arm pivots might be too stiff. Don't know yet.

Thinking that I will secton a K frame from a later TM to get the later pivoting A arms and the later biggest brakes knuckles too.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

don't weld it just add the sway bar. I have his largest bar on the rear of my GLH and it was perfect on clean dry streets with a stock front sway bar. The more you got on the gas the harder the car dug in and ripped around corners. Just be careful lifting off the gas or braking. It's like driving a 911 Porsche, YOU NEVER LIFT OFF THE GAS!!!! I know, it's what I learned to drive in hehe. Keep your foot in it!

My car had more overstear, particularly when adding the rear bar. I drove the car a lot, and became quite comfortable with it's handling characteristics. It was not a 'bad weather' car though. Especially when you factor in the 11" vented rear brakes. You could initiate over steer going around a corner by stabbing the brake pedal. Lots of fun!!

turbo addict

The front bar from a Daytona will fit the L body cars IF you cut 3/4" off of each end. DO NOT weld the rear as you have heard. Yes it will work. Why not then? First: it is simpler to just add a rear bar.
    Second: You have no control on stiffness with the weld on plate. You may get it right, you may not. Add too much, then you have to hack some off.

With add in a rear bar "I" know it works in a 1" size.
    Although, it works best with a 1-1/8" front bar.

If the bar is the wrong stiffness, you can change to a different size by just removing and bolting on the new size.

By a used rear bar, Addco brand or one from me. A rear bar is just the best choice.

Johnny PolyBushings.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swaybarLrr.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	7110  
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Yes, but they are on the 'other' site from long ago.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...-overhaul.html
    I talked to Frank at SDAC about getting useful info from
    the other site to here. I wish we could do that.
    On my GLH restoration project, I have almost the same pile of parts you had.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs502 View Post
    You can weld in a piece of steel across the bottom between the swaybar and the axle. There was a great write up in Grassroot magazine a few years ago. Let me know and I can take a picture of mine. Polybushings.com also has new bushings for it.
    Agreed here. That is THE cheapest way to do it. The cost of the steel was under $15 and the guy welded it for about the same.

Only problem I have now is I think my back end is TOO stiff. I have the coil over kit with 300 LB springs, so needless to say, my car goes on 3 wheels when I turn into a drive at like 5 mph! hehe Happens at work every day.

The upside is I can place a jack under my front lift point and jack the whole side up.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Do what JOHNNY and GLHNSLHT2 say.

Stock is pretty darn good too. Just freshen the damping and make sure all your bushings/joints are good.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Another option would be to buy the steel plate and use U bolts to hang it instead of welding. Still cheaper and you can modify it if necessary. Someone has done it already, just not sure who.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Yeah or just stich weld the plate in maybe six or seven spots total.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand