Thread: New Member - Need advice with Front Brakes

Mitsu booster

Question New Member - Need advice with Front Brakes

I am about undergo the front brake system upgrade/mod to my '86 Turbo Z. I have an '89 complete rack with stamped steel LCAs and PolyBishings from Johnny. I have the SLH 3 or SLH III complete setup for the rears ready to go on with correct proportioning valve and 24mm MC.

1. Are the ‘single’ pin Kelsey Hayes Calipers from only from a NON-aspirated car i.e. the ’89 plain model or the ES?
    2. Were the single pin KH calipers 54mm or 60mm or came in both sizes?
    3. Did any of the '89 Daytona SHELBY TII come with both the single pin KH in the 60mm as well as the double pin ATE setup in the 60mm as well?
    4. Did only the ‘double’ ATE calipers come only on the TII cars, i.e. the ’89 Shelby TII?
    5. I have a pair of the ‘single’ pin KH calipers from an '89 donor car already. I believe this would be a direct bolt on application using the caliper bracket to my ’86 knuckle and spindle, correct?

I have located a set of ’89 SHELBY spindles/knuckles all-in-one to mount the ’89 SHELBY ‘double’ pin ATE brakes to my ’89 K-Frame and stamped steel LCA. This is not going to be a track car, but I am looking for the best most efficient setup that work very well together since I have to replace the calipers anyway.

Would staying with the direct bolt on KH calipers with bracket with the ’86 pressed in wheel bearing setup be the optimum setup OR would going with the ’89 SHELBY setup changing the spindles to allow for the double pin ATE calipers and the bolt in wheel bearing be the optimum setup?

turbo addict

Re: New Member - Need advice with Front Brakes

If you using the 11" vented rears then you need to use the 89-90 11" spindles/brakes for the front as well. Otherwise the car is gonna want to lock the tail premeturely.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    If you using the 11" vented rears then you need to use the 89-90 11" spindles/brakes for the front as well. Otherwise the car is gonna want to lock the tail premeturely.
    Correct, I do have the 11" vented rear rotor setup. The front '89 NON- Aspirated Kelsey Hayes single pin calipers use an 11" rotor and the ATE double pin calipers also use the 11" rotor. For me to use the '89 SHELBY ATE double pin calipers I have to change the spindles / knuckles as those calipers bolt directly to the spindle. They don't use a caliper bracket like the KH single pin calipers do.

The proportioning valve I have is for the vented rear setup (SLH 3) and for the KH single pin fronts with 11" rotors.

When you say "89-90 11" spindle/brakes for the front" are you referring to the ATE or KH caliper setup?

turbo addict

From the manuals I've got it seems like there's no way per model to tell why or if it got single pin or double pin. Seems like it was a manufacturing availability thing. Both minivans I've had, an 88 3.0 and an 89 2.5 n/a had single pin, and I've never seen anything different in a wreckers, so in my experience it seems like single pins are most common.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    From the manuals I've got it seems like there's no way per model to tell why or if it got single pin or double pin. Seems like it was a manufacturing availability thing. Both minivans I've had, an 88 3.0 and an 89 2.5 n/a had single pin, and I've never seen anything different in a wreckers, so in my experience it seems like single pins are most common.
    As for more common I tend to agree with you that the single pin KH calipers appear to be more common.

From what I have found out so far, a SHELBY TII Daytona came with the double pin ATE caliper and the plain model & ES models (NON-Aspirated) Daytona came with the single pin KH caliper. I don't know about the '89 Daytona CS car, most likely though they had ATE calipers since they were a stripped high performance version...

BUT... As for premium stopping power the 2 pin ATE SHELBY TII calipers have a slightly larger pad surface area which as we all know can lead to decreased stopping distance.

Is it worth going this route and has anyone "been there done that" ??

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Honestly, not sure on the 1 pin, 2 pin thing but your best best is to put the Shelby 11 inch setup on, which if you have the knuckles and calipers, isn't a big deal. The other cheap mod is Minivan brackets, caliper and pads, as there thicker and bigger due to the size of the van.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I've never seen 11" single pin setup. Use the 89-90 Shelby Setup as the knuckles are lighter.

turbo addict

I've never seen 11" single pin setup. Use the 89-90 Shelby Setup as the knuckles are lighter.