Thread: Automated parking brake. Idea.....

boostaholic

Automated parking brake. Idea.....

Hey guys...well. my daytona is havn't problems with the parking brake again..i rigged 3 springs to release the cables. it has been working great for a couple of years and i think its time to re do it...But i have an idea.

Iam thinking of getting a linear actuator and basicly taking out the foot pedal parking brake. I would get a very sleek linear actuator capable of pulling about 15lbs? Weld up a bracket so it is connected to that triangle peice, and so some electrical work...either put it on a rocker switch for releasing or engaging it, or just a push button with a timer. accually i would probally leave the stock push pedal, for actuator failures...if there were any.

Has anyone done this? I think i am going to do it. I'll make a how to do page...it would be kinda cool...

Let me know what yea think.

Tom

turbo addict

Re: Automated parking brake. Idea.....

I think it needs to pull a lot more than 15lb at that point...

I'm also thinking that you can't leave it sitting held on a stalled actuator, the battery will go flat in 15 minutes.

If you just want a "one touch" e-brake for autocross/solo or something then I'd look at the electrical brake retrofit kits for trailers, see if there's anything I could use in there.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    I'm also thinking that you can't leave it sitting held on a stalled actuator, the battery will go flat in 15 minutes.
    you could leave like the stock ratchet type thing so it just needs to put it on then you dont need any mroe power from the actuator to keep it on

do like a 3 way switch like down can be engage(works the actuator to put the brake on)
    center is like off
    and up can be the e-brake release button that also works off an actuator

how about a line lock?
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I got a pair of line locks on the rear of my Z... dont work for a parking brake tho.

You could switch to a '91 style console with the hand brake too.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

A local guy here left the stock pedal in place, but rigged the release to the thumb button on his T-handle shifter. So he rolls into the box, hits the brake with his foot, does his burnout and clicks the button with his thumb to release it. Works pretty nice and he said it was fairly easy to do. Didn't get much more details from him on it since I don't have a Daytona anymore, but I'm guessing he just used an electric solonoid for the release.
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

Hybrid booster

Retrofit a Benz S Class p brake. Jus touch a button. Maybe on the costly side but hey,youll have a p brake

Linear actuators do not draw current once they are moved into postion. They are basicly a worm gear driven by an electric motor.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

turbo addict

Ah, I was thinking of a solenoid type actuator.