Thread: Head Porting

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Head Porting

Considering getting a little head work done. What is considered good flow numbers for the tIII head.

Re: Head Porting

My LoneWolf stage one flows 280cfm on the intake, 224cfm exhaust at .350" lift. I am more than happy with it. That along with the lonewolf cams was probably the best thing I ever did for that RT.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Cory, how much vacuum you pulling at idle with those cams? Are they stage I? How is the off-idle response and driveability?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Cory, how much vacuum you pulling at idle with those cams? Are they stage I? How is the off-idle response and driveability?
    Since mine has been running, I have been seeing about 15 at idle with the stage 1 cams which seems a tad low.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

15-16 in. of vac, so it lost maybe 1in of vac. And the car LOVES them. Didnt affect the driveablitly at all. It doesnt like it at all if I bog it off the line, but it didnt make it eaiser to bog it off the line. And the top end on these things does not stop! I am talking to cindy about getting a higher rev liminter becasue this thing wants to spin. And they are stage ones. For now. <evil grin> but who knows whats going to happen with that holset.

You still haveing vac issues jeremy?

Yah still low vacuum in my red Spirit R/T with the stage I cams. In Gillette (~4500ft) it was about 12 in/hg, in Laramie (~7200ft) it is about 10 in/hg when fully warmed up. It's still a pain to drive and doesn't like to rev very well. Makes great power about 3000 RPM though.

Sorry about going off topic....back to TIII head flow #s!

boostaholic

Jeremy,have you ever pulled the intake off since you have had the low vacuum/poor driveability problems? I remember my black Iroc R/T had part of the intake gasket missing when it wasnt running right. I cant remember if I ever told you to check this or not.....

Nope, haven't pulled the intake off since putting the car back together. I was going to do this soon anyway since I got my new powder coated intake and valve covers...

Sorry to hijack again...
    Jeremy, I went and did some leak testing, found a few and fixed them. And then datalogged a warm idle on my zeitronix.
    Where the vertical line is crossing is the spot that the numbers are saying on the right hand side. I was a little mistaken about my vac at idle. And our altitude is alittle high. It only reads 15 on the stock gauge, but I am more inclined to believe this sensor than the 16 year old stock gauge. lol

Here is a short 4th gear pull. Not really relavant, but I think it looks cool. I love this datalogging stuff, and being able to somewhat tune it makes it even better.

The vertical line didnt really show up on this one, but its the highest poing on the boost line, which is white. All the reading on the right hand side of the screen are in a vertical line from the highest point on the boost line.
    Still messing with it, and its on a stock cal, so please dont laugh. lol I need to ditch this crappy s70 and get the holset on.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Ive seen those datalogs...and they are from 4500' elevation. So there is something seriously wrong to be getting 12' @ 5000. Ive got really big cams on my 3.0 and still get 14" @ 4500'

sounds like you are misfiring or something like that.......unless WOT power is doing okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Ive seen those datalogs...and they are from 4500' elevation. So there is something seriously wrong to be getting 12' @ 5000. Ive got really big cams on my 3.0 and still get 14" @ 4500'

sounds like you are misfiring or something like that.......unless WOT power is doing okay.
    Of course you have seen them, your my datalog nit-picker!

I believe he said once he gets the rpms over 3000, there are no problems. Jeremy, please correct me if I am wrong.

Yep, over 3000 RPM everything seems fine. That would be cool to datalog my car and maybe 'see' something wrong for once. You can tell there is something wrong just revving the engine while parked. You should see my vac/boost gauge when I start it up on a cold morning. It is like 6-7 in/hg and finally gets up to 10 in/hg when it warms up.

I have other wierd things going on as well. The car gets incredible gas mileage. I don't think getting over 500 miles out of a tank on the highway would be a problem at all. I have gotten over 400 miles out of a tank just delivering pizza in it. Seems strange because I have +20s, 255 pump, 3/8 suppy/return etc.. Also, the narrow-band A/F gauge always has a strobe effect to it ; it doesn't 'bounce' like my other cars do. And when I hook my scanner up to monitor knock, it detonates at anything more than about 7 psi and will pull equal amounts of KR on every cylinder simultaneously.

I did put some low-lead aviation gas in once. It didn't do much for the driveability and other problems but the knock retard went away completely. It was pulling the tires loose with 10 psi through second gear....which surprised me because the car had new 225/50/16 tires, OBX LSD, and a 3.50 gear.