Thread: Sealing the bead??

Hybrid booster

Sealing the bead??

Any easy cures for a corroded bead seat? (Centurians)
    I lost a tire a few months ago and finally got a new tire on it, they cleaned the rim up a bit but it's losing air from the bead still..
    I got the work van for a DD for a while now but it's not as fun as Omni..

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Sealing the bead??

The shop I used to work at had this liquid rubber bead sealer we'd use. We'd have to clean the corrosion off the rim with a wire wheel, clean the bead of the tire really well with rubber cleaner, and then paint on that bead sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    The shop I used to work at had this liquid rubber bead sealer we'd use. We'd have to clean the corrosion off the rim with a wire wheel, clean the bead of the tire really well with rubber cleaner, and then paint on that bead sealer.
    That plus I had a set of Goodrich that just wouldn't seal. The bead was too hard. I had used Goodrich 20 years till that problem. The store even switched to another set.
    Plus there are different style wheel weights for mags. MANY different styles.

Hybrid booster

I think I've seen that sealer actually, thanks for reminding me!

I was also toying with painting the inner area of the rim with Glyptal, not too sure if that'll help or work though.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Get an angle grinder and one of the $15 wire wheels that have the bristles wrapped together and hit it with that. It will take off all of the corrosion and leave a nice finish. You shouldn't have to do this again for at least couple of years.

The bead sealer is a bandaid fix, and not worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    Plus there are different style wheel weights for mags. MANY different styles.
    Ahh, forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. Yes, if they used the wrong weights to balance the wheel, that can also cause a bead leak. I don't remember the number code, but the weights for our stock wheels should be color coded red (the package, not the weight itself). Also, be sure to get the coated weights and not the bare lead ones. The bare ones will corrode the aluminum and leave a very nasty stain on the wheel in a very short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I think I've seen that sealer actually, thanks for reminding me!
    Shortly before I left the company, they switched to some off brand stuff that was just too runny to work properly. Prior to that, we used Tech brand, which was nice and thick, and worked great. I sealed some tires that should have been hopeless.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

sand, clean and JB weld the pits and sand smooth again. should work fine.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Ahh, forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. Yes, if they used the wrong weights to balance the wheel, that can also cause a bead leak. I don't remember the number code, but the weights for our stock wheels should be color coded red (the package, not the weight itself). Also, be sure to get the coated weights and not the bare lead ones. The bare ones will corrode the aluminum and leave a very nasty stain on the wheel in a very short amount of time.

Shortly before I left the company, they switched to some off brand stuff that was just too runny to work properly. Prior to that, we used Tech brand, which was nice and thick, and worked great. I sealed some tires that should have been hopeless.
    Yes, they are Al weights, although it is very rare that the wrong type of weight being used will cause a leak. We used to use the Al weights on everything because they were less than half the price of the "right" weight for some wheels. The average person will never notice a slight gap between the wheel weight and the rim, but .50+ cents per weight sure adds up quickly.

Also, +1 for the tech brand stuff. They had the best patches ever, as I think you would have to try to make one not work on the first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

Brian
    If your Al wheel is pitted you have got some serious chemical problems going on.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

Brian
    Yeah, I've read recently that there's all kinds of stuff JB Weld is good for.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post

If your Al wheel is pitted you have got some serious chemical problems going on.
    For some reason, Michellin tires seemed to be really bad about that, at least on older wheels.

For some reason, Michellin tires seemed to be really bad about that, at least on older wheels.
    I never really noticed a difference in corrosion on Al wheels with any different type of tire on them. The biggest difference that I saw was in the quality or type of finish. You couldn't get me to put a chrome wheel on my car these days. The chrome is cheap, and when it begins to corrode and flake off of an Al wheel there is no protection underneath and all hades breaks out. The cheap foreign made wheels are just bad for corrosion in general from what I have seen.

I can see why the michelins might be more prone to leaking though. Their bead were generally speaking, stronger than anything else out there. They were also molded very smoothly and true, so there were a couple series michelins which we had to use the proper type of weight or they would leak for sure.