Thread: 2.5 block

Garrett booster

2.5 block

Is a 2.5 N/A block and crank the same as a 2.5 turbo block and crank as long as its a common block???? Also what HP is a stock 2.5 crank good to, im looking to build a all out motor but i haven't noticed a forged crank for the 2.5, ive seen them for 2.2s, so would it be better to build a high HP 2.2 or 2.5?

Hybrid booster

Re: 2.5 block

I BELIEVE SO!! READ WWW.DODGEGARAGE.COM GREAT TD SITE.EXEPT, YOU WOULD HAVE TO MAKE A OIL DRAIN HOLE BACK IN THE BLOCK/MOTOR FROM THE TURBO 1000HP OK ATLEAST 400

turbo addict

this has been debated into the ground...the only consensus: 2.5 in heavy car, 2.2 in light car.

crank will take more than you can give it as long as the block doesn't flex...

Garrett booster

so i wont break a 2.5 crank with around a 400-500 hp motor? and how come a 2.2 in a light car, i used to have a 2.2 in my omni... i went to the 2.5and dropped .7 sec what was the reason for the 2.2 in a small car?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I think the big thing is that the 2.5 makes a lot more torque in the lower RPMs but runs out of steam higher up, and the 2.2 is the opposite. Either way, I've seen the cast cranks reach in excess of 400hp.

As for the block, I just picked up a '92 NA commonblock from the junkyard and the machine shop charged me I think $12 to drill the oil return hole and press in a the tube.