Thread: Fan works, then doesn't

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Fan works, then doesn't

When I tried starting my Charger for the first time last weekend, the GLHS computer that I had was bad. The vacuum solenoids went haywire, and the cooling fan came on. This was without even starting the car, just with the ignition to ON. So I know the fan at least works. But when I swapped in the GLHS computer from Ray's car, everything worked fine except the fan didn't come on when I unplugged the coolant sensor to set the timing. Fan works fine in his car though. Any ideas?

Re: Fan works, then doesn't

can you swap fan relays?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If the fan isn't coming on with the CTS unplugged, then I would run power and ground to it to make sure it isn't the relay or the LM. I would then try to test the relay itself and if that checked out it must be the LM.

turbo addict

Holy thread form the dead!

His fan relay code comes and goes. We'll be wiring in an auxillary fan switch so both he and the LM can control the fan.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Yeah, we need to do that ASAP.

turbo addict

On my '86 Daytona, the fan relay is also tied into the reverse lights and some dash components. When the fan relay fails -- depending of course on how it fails -- it will keep the reverse lights and those dash lights on even when the car is off. If you are seeing these things, then that should help diagnose the issue.

Well I have been having issues with the reverse lights not working occasionally . . .

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Well I have been having issues with the reverse lights not working occasionally . . .
    I would say that these two are definitely related.

turbo addict

I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the reverse lights would stay on. Then I was driving along and noticed the car was getting hot. Sure enough, the fan relay had failed. I keep some spare wire in the hatch for this kind of Dodge moment. I hot wired the fan to get it home.

When I threw in a new fan relay all problems were solved at once. It wasn't until after I fixed it that I started looking at the wiring diagrams.

The only thing worse than an electrical gremlin is an intermittent electrical gremlin. My problem with the reverse lights is that just once in a while they don't come on. If I get time this weekend I'll start going over all the diagrams and wiring and see what I can come up with. Just add it to the list.

Just kicks me that for all intents and purposes, this car is done, and yet still so far from being done.