Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gauging interest on TIII distributor plates and machined cam ends!

Garrett booster

Re: Guaging interest on TIII distributor plates and machined cam ends!

sorry for the hijack... Anyways hopefully those pics will clear it up for you.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Ok, I am now confused. The vane slot needs to be moved in relation to crank degrees so merely moving the stator wheel and gluing doesn't change that. If you look at the stocker, lets say the slot is at 340 deg, now reversing the dist puts it at 20 deg, make sense now? or am I missing something?

Have you tried this on a running car yet?

Nice 60 trim, I have one of those and put my 50 trim back in, the 60 trim surged way too much,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Yes the is the way I had it setup when I had it running in the van with smec electronics when the T3 was stock.

I haven't ran this 60 trim on the T3 yet but I have one on my 8 valver and don't have any issuses. what was your 60 trim like? This one has the stage 3 exh wheel with a .63 housing. Also it is a external wastegated turbo. Was yours a internal wastegate? My head is also ported and has a custom Wallace regrind on the cams. Plus a it will be hanging off of a nice stainless header and 3 inch smooth bend o2 housing. hopefully it will work out for me. I have had friends that have ran this same turbo on 4G63's with good results. But like my setup they had cams, port work and a header.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Here's how Dave Bohrer modded the distributor to make it work on his Neon engine. This is a sticky in the Hybrid section, BTW...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=14
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

That is exactly how I have my shutter wheel oriented only he used screws and I used epoxy. Once you grind the plastic off there is still enough of the plastic sticking up so when you rotate the shutter wheel back to the correct location the plastic sticking up will fit in the holes on the shutter wheel so you don't need to do any degree measurements or anything. Just either screw it back down or epoxy it. Swap the trigger wires and swap #2 and #3 plug wires and install turbovanman's plate and you are ready to go.

Garrett booster

Garrett booster

Instead of drilling the plastic nubs like he describes if you just grind them off smooth with the wheel surface they will act as and alignment tab for you.

turbo addict

Alright, after I was able to take a good look at it all in the garage last night I understand why the wheel needs to be moved. I forgot that the pickups aren't quite 180* apart and the rotor doesn't line up real nice with the window.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Omniboy View Post
    Yes the is the way I had it setup when I had it running in the van with smec electronics when the T3 was stock.

I haven't ran this 60 trim on the T3 yet but I have one on my 8 valver and don't have any issuses. what was your 60 trim like? This one has the stage 3 exh wheel with a .63 housing. Also it is a external wastegated turbo. Was yours a internal wastegate? My head is also ported and has a custom Wallace regrind on the cams. Plus a it will be hanging off of a nice stainless header and 3 inch smooth bend o2 housing. hopefully it will work out for me. I have had friends that have ran this same turbo on 4G63's with good results. But like my setup they had cams, port work and a header.
    An old timer got ahold of me and he said he has run the dist backwards with no modding?? I am trying to get more info.

Slightly ported head, stock cams, slightly ported stock exhaust manifold, Garret 60 trim, stage 3 turbine, .63 housing, external wastegate, 3 inch all the way back on my 2.5 TIII but it wasn't tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Here's how Dave Bohrer modded the distributor to make it work on his Neon engine. This is a sticky in the Hybrid section, BTW...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=14
    No worky for me,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Ok, one plate is being made now, he is making a lip that will fit in the frost plug area so it will be centered on any head. I will post pics up when he's done and a price too,

turbo addict

Nice! I won't be having a cam machined, but I'm game for the plate.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Nice! I won't be having a cam machined, but I'm game for the plate.
    Ignore the cam thing, I thought the end came off, hadn't really looked, lol!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Well it looks like I'll have to bow out of this. Another solution came up and I couldn't pass on it. Good luck guys.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Well it looks like I'll have to bow out of this. Another solution came up and I couldn't pass on it. Good luck guys.
    And you're not going to share?

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

It's a crank sensor relocation kit, made by Tom Mazur I think. It relocates the stock crank sensor to the front of the engine, using a bolt-on trigger wheel behind the front crank pulley. I plan to use it in my Omni with a built A525 from Cliff Ramsdell, heim-joint rod shifter, and aluminum flywheel. It works with the stock TIII SBEC. I haven't got it yet, but it looks like the base timing is also adjustable.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    It's a crank sensor relocation kit, made by Tom Mazur I think. It relocates the stock crank sensor to the front of the engine, using a bolt-on trigger wheel behind the front crank pulley. I plan to use it in my Omni with a built A525 from Cliff Ramsdell, heim-joint rod shifter, and aluminum flywheel. It works with the stock TIII SBEC. I haven't got it yet, but it looks like the base timing is also adjustable.

Sounds pretty cool!

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

turbo addict

I thought about going with the crank sensor relocation setup. Then I realized that I'll have to rewire the whole front end of the car for the SBEC. I'll just stick with swapping pins & a chip since my harness is in great shape.

I should mention this 'kit' is actually a one-off that he made. I don't know if the guy that made it is even into TMs anymore. It comes with a harness extension for the sensor so it doesn't look like any rewiring would be necessary on a TIII car; just plug'n'play.

I will have to rewire my Omni though. I had originally planned to use the SMEC electronics I've already put in the car, and use a distributor on the TIII; either in the stock location or driven off the exhaust cam. But with this relocation kit, I'll be making a custom harness out of a '90 TBI Omni harness and running TIII SBEC.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

any new news?

Still waiting for him to make it, he's holding me ransom for one of his projects,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast