Thread: 97' SOHC Neon oil leak

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

97' SOHC Neon oil leak

The neon that myself and the GF picked up recently has started to leak oil pretty well which is a real bummer. I picked up a cam sensor gasket and a new low oil pressure switch today as I have read that those are common problems. unfortunately for me neither one seems to be the culprit. I have what appears to be a leak from perhaps the front main or the aluminum cover. Here is a pic.

I fear I will have to pull the front of the motor apart, but I don't want to have to dump a quart of oil in there per day either.

Any advise?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 97' SOHC Neon oil leak

Everything looks oily... did you brake clean it then drive it around to pinpoint where you placed that arrow?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Everything looks oily... did you brake clean it then drive it around to pinpoint where you placed that arrow?
    That's exactly the problem JT. I wiped off the oil and within about 30 seconds to 1 min there is that much oil there. It would appear to be coming from where the arrow is though. I guess I am really looking for advise as to what I am in for when I pull everything apart since I doubt that anyone will be able to post up "just flip the oil leak shutoff switch" unfortunately.

Hmmm.... might be taking that front cover off then

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hmmm.... might be taking that front cover off then
    Indeed.

Didja do the obvious tighten all the bolts?

If you get it really clean you could patch it with RTV maybe? gotta be in a warm place long enough to set up tho...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Didja do the obvious tighten all the bolts?

If you get it really clean you could patch it with RTV maybe? gotta be in a warm place long enough to set up tho...
    I did tighten the bolt closest to the arrow a little bit, and it was a tad loose. It was getting later, and I have a long day tomorrow with the first track parent meeting tomorrow night.

I need to get another car running in the worst way right now. I am very close with the 600 though, as I just need to throw the turbo on, and then drop the motor into the car.

boostaholic

looks like the oring between the block and oil pump or the oring between the block and bedplate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    looks like the oring between the block and oil pump or the oring between the block and bedplate.
    It certainly looks like it is that O ring that is under the cover right next to my arrow. That seems to be where all of the oil is coming from.

Mitsu booster

Thats what i was going to say. oil pump.

I am just going to replace the oil pump while I do this. It looks like it might be new, but I figure that I should just spend the money and do it once. This car had the current motor put in the car a couple of thousand miles ago by the previous owner. He said that it had 50K on it, and he gave me recepits for all the work. It looks like it had a new timing belt at that time. Is there anything esle I should do?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I am just going to replace the oil pump while I do this. It looks like it might be new, but I figure that I should just spend the money and do it once. This car had the current motor put in the car a couple of thousand miles ago by the previous owner. He said that it had 50K on it, and he gave me recepits for all the work. It looks like it had a new timing belt at that time. Is there anything esle I should do?
    Water pump,idler pulley's and tensioner.Youll need a special puller to get the crank pulley gear off.Autozone has a loaner one.Get the installer too.

Water pump,idler pulley's and tensioner.Youll need a special puller to get the crank pulley gear off.Autozone has a loaner one.Get the installer too.
    Can I pick up the tensioner and idler pully at autozone etc? I did not see them on the site.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Can I pick up the tensioner and idler pully at autozone etc? I did not see them on the site.
    Tensioner,no.Idler pulley you should be able to get in a timing belt kit.Check out www.rockauto.com too. They are a hell of alot less than autostoned!

Tensioner,no.Idler pulley you should be able to get in a timing belt kit.Check out www.rockauto.com too. They are a hell of alot less than autostoned!
    Thanks for all the advise! I appreciate it.

Just to update this thread with my findings...

It was the cam seal. A much cheaper fix, but I still had to pull off everything of course. I made my own cam seal retainer, so it should stay in there for the duration now.

I left the timing belt etc. alone due to the receipts for the work that cam with the car being quite recent, and the fact that it all looked new.

Thanks to all for their help. Without the people on this site, I would never have had the confidence to complete a project like this, let alone the ability do do it for the first time in a couple of hours.