Thread: Car Shut off While Driving?

Car Shut off While Driving?

Driving at bout 50 mph today my car just shut off completely while in the passing lane. Pulled over, and tried cranking it but it just cranked and cranked. Ran codes but got steady 55's (end of codes). About fifteen minutes later I figured I'd try cranking it again and this time it started and it limped back home. In about half an hour after it cools down some I'm going to check the oil and antifreeze levels as all as spark plugs to make sure the wires are connected good. Any other ideas as to what may have caused thi sthough? A headgasket wouldn't cause something like what happened happen would it?

I start a new job tomorrow and don't want to end up broken down going on the first day So any answers would be great!

Garrett booster

Re: Car Shut off While Driving?

fuel pump??

Garrett booster

my first thought was the HEP, but usually you'll get a code.

Gosh I hope it's not the freaking fuel pump. I don't feel like crawling under this thing hahaha

I'll try swapping out HEP's, but I agree, I thought a code would've shown? I was surprised when it just blinked '55'.

turbo addict

fuel pump; often kicks off when hot and on their "last legs."
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

actually I think the HEP usually will not throw a code when it goes out, im willing to bet that is your problem. Beware of crappy auto parts store HEPs though, its not uncommon to get a brand new one that does not work

boostaholic

My fuel pump did the same thing when it was going but it useualy happened at Idle.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I've seen a lot of HEP failures without a code. It's always wise to carry a spare one just in case.

I've also seen (less frequently) fuel pumps fail when hot. This on the 94 Sundance?
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Yeah, when I had a bad fuel pump car just shutoff. Let sit for 5 minutes it would be fine. Eventually it got longer and longer. When I finally decided it was the pump, I decided to drop it off at my son's work. Half way there it went out for good. Car was a '87 Shelny Lancer. Oh if I banged on the fuel tank where the pump was I could it to run for a while.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    I've seen a lot of HEP failures without a code. It's always wise to carry a spare one just in case.

I've also seen (less frequently) fuel pumps fail when hot. This on the 94 Sundance?
    The same thing happened to me and it was the wiring to the HEP. No codes (well new ones anyways). Sat for a minute trying to figure out how I was going to get myself out of ANOTHER mess and mine started right up, so I drove home.

Another guy on the forum was having an issue with the car shutting off and then coming back on. His problem was the alternator field wires hitting the radiator because it was so close.

I would check all the wires coming from the HEP and wherever they lead. The orange wire splits at the HEP as well as the purple/white (I think). Check both of those. Mine were exposed and a little loose. Mended both wires, covered them both and problem solved.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Well it had rained and I believe that water maybe got into something. I drove the car around today and it ran fine. So perhaps some moisture got down into the distributor cap/hep area? Not sure, but thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep ya updated if it persists.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeman87 View Post
    Yeah, when I had a bad fuel pump car just shutoff. Let sit for 5 minutes it would be fine. Eventually it got longer and longer. When I finally decided it was the pump, I decided to drop it off at my son's work. Half way there it went out for good. Car was a '87 Shelny Lancer. Oh if I banged on the fuel tank where the pump was I could it to run for a while.
    Jim
    If I had a nickel for everytime I heard, saw, and lived this I could afford a nice house...

Always pony up and get a good replacement piece. This is NOT an area to "skimp out" and be cheap on a turbo car. The junky "Wells Brand" at Autostoned is a perfect example. Back before I knew as much i went through 3 in less than a yr on a GM. I thought it was ri=ust in the tank after teh ]second one, but that tank was immaculate. They're just cheap, no if, ands, or buts....
    Last edited by 88_pacifica; 02-08-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain