View Poll Results: How Would you install a 3" Exhaust System when having a 2.5" Swingvalve?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mate the 3" Downpipe to the 2.5" Swingvalve

20 45.45%
  • Keep the 2.5" Downpipe attached and install the 3" System up from the cat

2 4.55%
  • Get a 3" Swingvalve

22 50.00%

Thread: Need Opinions on options for installing a 3" Exhaust System

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Question Need Opinions on options for installing a 3" Exhaust System

Hi,

I am ready to install a 3" Exhaustsystem to my 89 TII Daytona. I have: 3" Downpipe, 3" Cat, 3" Mandrell Bend Pipes and a 3" Muffler.

Being the way I am, my normal choice would have been buying a 3" Swingvalve as well. But since both vendors whom I trust for oversees trading don't list them in their catalogues at present I figured that I have to fit it to my 2.5" Swingvalve. So far I am clear.

Now, having learned that using the 3" Donut on a 2.5 Swingvalve will most likely cause it to get damaged with time I started wandering how you guys go on about this.

Given the situation, I know, I have 3 Options:

1. Mating the 3" Downpipe to the 2.5" Swingvalve
    2. Leave the 2.5" Downpipe as it is and start the 3" System up from the Cat.
    3. Get a 3" Swingvalve (how and where???) And Install the System right from there.

So which of those Options would you opt for?
    I am really interested in the outcome of this poll. I also think it will be interesting for others like me in a similar situation.
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

boostaholic

Re: Need Opinions on options for installing a 3" Exhaust System

Call Chris W. at TU. He doesn't list them separately anymore, you have to go into the down pipe section and select it as an option when buying a 3" DP Personally I would spring for a swingvalve instead of your other options. Chris may be able to sell you one, if not keep an eye out on the Forums. Post up a wanted ad too.

turbo addict

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I used a 3" DP on a 2.5" swingvalve for years w/o issue, just need to make sure you have a good front motor mount so that the engine doen not slop around making that 3" exhaust donut gasket fatigue. Also, you can swap in the 3" swingvalve later on whenever you get one.

Also, FWIW, my T2 Shadow (CSX Clone) has a 3" (non-mandrel bent) with the stock Garrett 2.25" swingvalve and downpipe

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

I have to chirp in on that tearing up the donut part too. I've had a 3" dp/donut on my 2.5" sv for over a year daily driven. Some of that time was on an open dp with no support too and it's still sealing and in good shape.

turbo addict

Ran a 3" donut on a 2.5" SV (ported hehe) for years now. While it does dent it as long as your motor isn't rocking around it'll be fine. I run a custom PB front mount, and a semi solid rear tranny mount. Semi as in only one side has poly, the other is metal to metal.

I run a 3" F.M. d.p. which has the 2.5" donut, bolts to a stock swingvalve.
    later Dick Westerhof

No question 3" SV and 3" DP.