Thread: Car NON stopped misfiring

Hybrid booster

Car NON stopped misfiring

1987 shelby charger. T2 conversion (charge temp sensor not hooked up atm)

I had my power module go bad, replaced it. Everything was good. I drove it around and noticed the car was misfiring a little bit here and there. Didn't think anything of it since I've been running really rich and my spark plugs were old. Just figured fouled out and misfiring a bit. By the time I made it to the highway the car would hardly accelerate and was misfiring NON STOP. at least 2 times a second just steady stumbling very hard to accelerate.

I replaced the spark plugs w/ some champion OEM plugs. It drove fine, but would stumble under boost for the first 15 minutes.. Then bam, right back to where I was. Non stop stumbling/missfiring.

I replaced the plugs AND wires with brand new ones thinking maybe that was it, nope.

I had remembered that while I was waiting for another power module I had placed the charge temp sensor over the intake manifold by the fuel rail like someone had recommended. So I moved it back off there to by the fender where it was before hand and that actually helped the problem quite a bit. Still stumbling, but not nearly as bad.

I'm getting codes 12,15,35,51,55

12, obviously since I changed my alternator I had the battery disconnected for a little while.
    15, My speed sensor is bad, I have known this but haven't had a chance to change it. But I don't think this would affect missfiring would it?
    35, fan relay. I have a manual fan switch.
    51, o2 sensor. My o2 sensor is bad. I tried unhooking o2 sensor plug to see if it made a difference, the car continued to stumble but ran lean as hell lol...

Anyone have any ideas? I have no idea what would be causing this. It's literally missfiring NON STOP. At least 1 missfire per second while accelerating. It's rediculous.

Hybrid booster

Re: Car NON stopped misfiring

Wiggle the fuel injector connectors around while it is running. I've had bad connections with the teminals at the the injector connection and at the harness connector as they will corrode.

Another issue that I have had with the same symtoms is the HEP in the distributor. I have also seen where a spark must have hit the HEP and took out the ECU. Caused problems for a while then not start at all.

Hybrid booster

I forgot to mention I put a brand new HEP in the car about a month ago because I had a problem with my HEP. cap & rotor were also replaced at the same time for good measure. Coil is about a year old.

I'll attempt to wiggle the injector harness when the car's running. I have another injector harness & fuel rail that I bought because I wanted one cleaned up to make the engine bay look nicer. So if that does end up being the case that's an easy enough fix.

TO CLARIFY: I had put a Mopar HEP in the car about a year ago. Drove the car for 3 months with it then the car sat for 6 months being ran every now and again. Then I finally went to drive the car to find out the almost brand new Mopar HEP had gone bad so I replaced it with another one. So that just goes to show you brand new parts like to goto crap on me :|

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can hook up and check while driving? Gotta be able to see the pressure while the stumbling is going on... You are chasing electrical but it sounds like fuel too.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

I don't ave a fuel pressure guage I cna use while i'm driving.

However, i noticed I have a leak coming from the lines coming out of the fuel pump.. I had a small leak there before and replaced 2 of the lines and some clamps. Apparently I either messed up and didn't tighten a clamp enough or something else is leaking. I'm going to go out and check it out once it stops raining.