Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.0L dohc turbo neon project

turbo addict

2.0L dohc turbo neon project

This belongs to my friend and co-worker. This was part of the mock-up fitting the srt-4 turbo/manifold to the 2.0L neon engine.

Oil feed to the turbo from removed head plug.

Stock srt-4 manifold, turbo and O2 housing (downpipe).

The block will be drilled and tapped for an oil return just to the right of the hose in this picture.

Coolant feed. A modified freeze plug with a bung TIG welded and a fitting threaded in.

Coolant return tees into the heater tubes with a hardware store brass fitting.

And the front of the engine.

Now that the engine mock up is almost complete, we tear it down for a low compression rebuild.

All thoughts, ideas, comments, questions and criticism are welcome.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 2.0L dohc turbo neon project

Looks like it should be alot of fun. What are the goals?

My only critism is the use of a frost plug for a fitting, the vibration of the hose etc could cause it to leak or come out of the block.

2.0L turbo way easier than a 2.4 SRT engine swap,

Looks like a new turbo/manifold setup, where did you find it?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm with Simon, I would rather do anything over that freeze plug. Even if it were lock-tited in there I wouldn't want to run it that way. I would rather drill and tap a hole.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I don't like the freeze plug idea. And I would much rather put the oil return into the pan than drill into the block.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I don't like the freeze plug idea. And I would much rather put the oil return into the pan than drill into the block.
    i agree also. From my experience the oil pan is a much better and easier solution. The coolant you can run the the other heater hose. Works great.The feed for the oil can be taken right from the oil pressure sender,just get a T.

If he is spending the money on a rebuild, I'd go with 2.4 for more displacement.

later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

turbo addict

Simon, right now the goals are around 200-230 hp and similar torque. The turbo/manilofd is used and from an srt-4 owner who stepped up to stage 3 for his car. The parts are in near perfect condition.

As for the frost plug, well, I thought it was brilliant, but if it leaks or fails we'll be using the other heater tube for the return. Drilling into the cooling passages seemed like an invite for disaster.

Returning to oil into the pan was shot down due to unknown axle clearance, and the need to do it all in aluminum and have it welded ($$). We'll be returning the oil above the crank centerline and we're probably building a baffle for the inside to help the oil shed back to the pan rather that hitting the connecting rod.

Sgt Craig. Why would you prefer the oil feed teed in from the sending unit instead of from the head? We considered both, but the head feed seemed simpler.

Inmyshadow. He's more interested in the higher rev potential with the 2.0L and the simplicity of it being a drop in. If he's looking for more torque, he'll just up the boost.

As always, I (we) appreciate the inputs and criticism. I will be updating this thread as more work is done and parts are installed.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Simon, right now the goals are around 200-230 hp and similar torque. The turbo/manilofd is used and from an srt-4 owner who stepped up to stage 3 for his car. The parts are in near perfect condition.

As for the frost plug, well, I thought it was brilliant, but if it leaks or fails we'll be using the other heater tube for the return. Drilling into the cooling passages seemed like an invite for disaster.

Returning to oil into the pan was shot down due to unknown axle clearance, and the need to do it all in aluminum and have it welded ($$). We'll be returning the oil above the crank centerline and we're probably building a baffle for the inside to help the oil shed back to the pan rather that hitting the connecting rod.

Sgt Craig. Why would you prefer the oil feed teed in from the sending unit instead of from the head? We considered both, but the head feed seemed simpler.

Inmyshadow. He's more interested in the higher rev potential with the 2.0L and the simplicity of it being a drop in. If he's looking for more torque, he'll just up the boost.

As always, I (we) appreciate the inputs and criticism. I will be updating this thread as more work is done and parts are installed.
    Because the head doesnt have enough pressure to supply it. Ive worked on alot of Turbo'd Neons and it wasnt that hard to T off the oil sending unit.

turbo addict

Thanks for the tip! ^^^ We were looking through neons.org and found most people suggested a tee from the oil pressure sending unit, but nobody specified why.

boostaholic

Thanks for the tip! ^^^ We were looking through neons.org and found most people suggested a tee from the oil pressure sending unit, but nobody specified why.

Well searching through neons.org is like searching through the cess pool of useless knowledge. While there are a few who know what they are talking about There are those that think they do and dont know jack.Youll find the ones that know usually dont post alot. Pm me your addy and ill send ya a tee I have.

turbo addict

I sent you a PM.

I have been told that neons.org is THE place to go for that type of stuff. Thanks for the heads up, and I'll be taking that site's info with a large grain of salt from here on in.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I sent you a PM.

I have been told that neons.org is THE place to go for that type of stuff. Thanks for the heads up, and I'll be taking that site's info with a large grain of salt from here on in.
    I have just been on there for a couple of weeks since I picked up a plane jane 97' SOHC. I have perused the forced induction section, and cringed at some of the advice I have seen handed out.

boostaholic

I sent you a PM.

It is you just have to know where to look and who to ask.

Swapping a 2.4 is so simple, I'm proof positive.

My 2.4 swapped neon was the first time I put a motor back into a car. The swap was so easy, the car started on the first try.

So, if he can remove a motor, he do a 2.4 swap.

later

James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

james, what did you have to do to get all the proper accessories to work?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

PT Cruiser accessory brackets, underdrive pulley and a spacer for the power steering pump. Since my neon was a SOHC, I needed a DOHC power steering line.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    james, what did you have to do to get all the proper accessories to work?

Brian

boostaholic

Nice pics, they will come in handy for my swap.

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    PT Cruiser accessory brackets, underdrive pulley and a spacer for the power steering pump. Since my neon was a SOHC, I needed a DOHC power steering line.
    What did you use for engine management?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I started with 24lb injectors and DOHC computer. I now have a MP computer running the car. I had to change the firing order of the coil and fuel injection. I do those changes at the coil plug and SBEC connector at the ECU.

With a 52mm TB, underdrive pulley, pacesetter header,3.0 cold air intake, flowmaster muffler and ported/polished manifold the neon put down 144whp and 144ft lbs of torque.

later

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What did you use for engine management?

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    I started with 24lb injectors and DOHC computer. I now have a MP computer running the car. I had to change the firing order of the coil and fuel injection. I do those changes at the coil plug and SBEC connector at the ECU.

With a 52mm TB, underdrive pulley, pacesetter header,3.0 cold air intake, flowmaster muffler and ported/polished manifold the neon put down 144whp and 144ft lbs of torque.

later
    Ok, I guess you used an older DOHC block as the SRT one I installed was a royal PITA and the cam and crank sensors are different.

What turbo or are you n/a?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast