Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's it like for you guys?

Hybrid booster

What's it like for you guys?

You know.... I've been pulled over MORE than I ever have been before in ANY of the 9 Shelby's I've owned which I drove crazily. I've got the most unassuming color Srt-4 too.. silver! The real kicker here is that every time I've been stopped in this damn thing I wasn't actually doing anything. WTF? I've had some REAL good tickets in the past and been pulled over for absolute bullsh*t in my Shelby's but this is ridiculous! I have no tickets still and have had non within the past 4 years but continue to be pulled over in this STUPID 4-dr... that I love... What are your experiences?

turbo addict

Re: What's it like for you guys?

Profiling, what do you look like? Can they see you or do you have tinted windows?
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

boostaholic

I've had no problems since I bought the car in 04.
    But you could always do what I'm doing, install a
    spoilerless deck lid.
    I'm not a big fan of the tall wing.
    I also have an SXT spoiler just in case.
    I should have the deck lid on in a few weeks, I'll have
    to post pics.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I haven't gotten pulled over since April of '04.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Saw a blue SRT-4 pulled over the other day on the way to work, but wasn't around to witness why.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

I have only been pulled over once in my srt4. It was at night and I was doing 53 in a 30 and I was the only car around so I don't think the car had anything to do with it. After I spoke with the cop for a while he let me off without a ticket.
    When I first got the car every piece of rice tried racing me or revved at me. I guess they just thought it was a riced out neon. I guess they have figured out what an srt4 is now because no one does that anymore to me.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Hybrid booster

Yea actually I do have tinted windows but I bought it that way...

Hybrid booster

Well I had considered removing the wing but honestly I LIKE this car and the way it looks. It's not as aggressive as the wrx or evo and it's by far not as boring as the neons. I loved these ever since attending the SRT launch in mid '02 when I worked for chrysler. I was amazed at how many people forgot about the previous gen TD's. Granted the SRT-10 ram was amazing and just flat out handles like no truck ever should but the SRT-4 impressed the hell out of me and recaptured some of the nostalgia of the shelby's.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have been pulled over twice. Once I got a warning, I was on the military base at work and doing 30 in a 25. The second time I was out on a rural road, the only car around, coming home from my parents house on Mother's Day with my dog in the back seat and I got pulled over and got a ticket on that one. That one still burns me because I wasn't driving like a lunatic, it was 53 in a 40 on a two lane country road. And the cop didn't have radar set up, he was going the other way and TURNED AROUND to come back and get me.

After that I removed the big wing and put an SXT wing on. I haven't been pulled over since.

I also have to say I am much more careful about speed when driving the SRT-4 as opposed to anything else I own. I feel like cops target the car.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

cops do target cars with big wings. a friend of mine has an STi and he gets pulled over all the time for more or less nothing. the one cop started calling him a boy racer constantly and he is 37-38.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    the one cop started calling him a boy racer constantly and he is 37-38.

Brian
    What is an old man like that doing with a kid's sports car?????
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I've been pulled over in the Shadow for the stupid Ghetto tint that the car came with... Luckily I am a little older and keener than the punk kid they figured would be driving it so i got a warning, but thats what I get for rolling in it on a colder day with the windows up

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Yea, window tint can get your targeted more often. I got pulled over 4 times in a 99 neon with tint that the car had on it when I bought it. Of course, in MI, its illegal to have tint on the front door windows; so that's also a factor. However, the cops hate it when they can't see in.

What I find funny is the car I got in the most trouble with was my old red 94 Shadow 3.0L auto. I beleive it was because of the color and nothing else in that case.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

No tint on the front doors allowed in IL either.. I need a note from the optometrist

Thats why they call it "pull me over red"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    i dunno grandpa

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Have the srt-4 owners considered the exhaust is the big factor? When these cars came out, we had a few (maybe 12) owners of the new srt-4's ask for proof from Chrysler that the srt-4's do NOT come with mufflers. We had a few cops around Toronto nailing thoses cars for that, or possibly giving the noise ticket after finding no other reason to pull the person over.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    The Old Men are the only one's that can afford it

Hybrid booster

Well... I certainly do consider the exhaust and out of the 5 times I've been pulled over ONE was because he "heard" me. I really don't think this is much louder than my CSX or R/T was with 3" muffler-less exhaust was but then again I've never been behind an SRT-4 either.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Thats why they call it "pull me over red"
    I prefer "arrest me red" has a better ring.

Tint is the major factor I believe. My Integra had limo tint at first and I was pulled over a few times but even more annoying the police would just follow me around. soon as I had clear windows it all went away. then again I also removed my "weed man" decal off the back window too.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

I got pulled over one time since I got the car in Sept of 03. Nailed me with radar going 45 in a 35. However he let me go with only a warning. Surprised he didn't say anything about the exhaust.
    Good to be old, only costs about 50.00 a month to insure .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast