Thread: 1983 Plymouth Turismo?

Hybrid booster

1983 Plymouth Turismo?

Hey everyone, I may have the opportunity to purchase an '83ish Plymouth Turismo in the near future... I haven't checked it out much, I just know it is the base model and not the "high" performance 2.2, so it may have the 1.7 Volkswagon or 1.6 Peugeot (depending on what year it is). I was wondering how bad are these engines (besides the lawnmower like horsepower ratings) and would they be reliable as a daily driver, I need to justify this car some how and if it's reliable then that works Also, is there any way to tell what year it is exactly by looking at it? It has the single headlights like the Chargers if that helps.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: 1983 Plymouth Turismo?

in 84 they went to the quad headlight setup on everything except the Shelby Charger, so that would make it an 83 or older.

The first 2 door L-body's came out in 79, and the plymouth version was a Horizon TC3 for that year, Turismo was an option package on the TC3 in 80 and 81, and in 82 The TC3 name was dropped and the Turismo name was used on all the 2 door plymouth L-bodies.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

How bad were the non-Chrysler engines?

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbydaytona91 View Post
    How bad were the non-Chrysler engines?
    I don't have much experience with them. The 1.7 was a VW/Audi creation with chrysler manifolds and controls. Most of the VW engines of that era weren't bad , so the biggest problems would probably be with the carb.

I haven't ever even worked on any with the Puegot engine, that's one I would probably stay away from.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Mitsu booster

I had two 1.7 engines. One in an Omni and one in a Horizon. I upgraded to a Charger 2.2 in 83. The one item about both 1.7 engines were they leaked oil! So better check the bottom seals for this issue. Otherwise they ran great. Had 100K on both of the engines with no trouble. But the heavy oil leaking always pissed me off.

turbo addict

'83 is the only year Turismo with single headlamps and a single chrome horizontal grille bar, with seven small vertical bars behind it I think. '84 -'85 Turismos (might be later too, book only goes to '85) had a body color grille bar and twin headlamps.

You might have the 94HP regular 2.2 in it, '83 FWD mopars apparently had the 1.7 peugeot/simca engine AND the 1.6 VW engine available, as well as the 2.2 regular, 2.2 HO and 2.2 EFI.

Garrett booster

Wink Re: 1983 Plymouth Turismo?

quads in 84 cep't mine of course..LOL I hated the look so I changed mine over to 82 Turismo style facia and hood, check it and leave a comment if ya like or would like more info.... click the link below

Robb

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291434

Hybrid booster

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Plymo...g%2001_jpg.jpg

That picture in the brochure of the Turismo looks almost EXACTLY like it except for the color (the one I'm looking at is two-tones of Blue), down the white-wall tires, wheels, front facia, seats... Are there any other years besides '83 that look like this one?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurismo View Post
    quads in 84 cep't mine of course..LOL I hated the look so I changed mine over to 82 Turismo style facia and hood, check it and leave a comment if ya like or would like more info.... click the link below

Robb

That '82 grill looks very similar to the '83 in my picture, is there any difference? Anyways I really hope that car is a 2.2 with a 5-speed... I might have a new addition to my Dodge family

Garrett booster

I am very sure the 82 and 83 Turismo 2.2 badged cars has the same front end... also check the VIN.. if there is a 55 together it would be a premium 2.2 if it is a 54 then it is just a high

Robb

Hybrid booster

Well I checked out the car again tonight, I checked out the badging and it is actually a TC3, not a Turismo. It had a car cover on it so I couldn't really make out any other details. If its a 5-speed or an automatic, it is definitely a 2.2 right?

Garrett booster

I personally have never seen a TC3 with a 2.2 myself. I could be wrong tho.. Be nice if you could get the VIN

Robb

Hybrid booster

I see what I can do. It's at a foreign auto repair place so I think my chances are pretty slim