Thread: Compressor surge prevention

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Compressor surge prevention

I was looking through the google patents page and found an interesting graph.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=bfU...=2008#PPA64,M1

It is on page three, and it is the first time that I have seen some general surge guidlines outside of what is on the left side of the map. I don't know if this will be more or less useful, but I found it interesting anyway.

ETA: it looks like when I click my link it takes me right to the chart.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: Compressor surge prevention

Interesting, the electric assist at low rpms, and the electric motor powered backwards to slow the turbo during surge situations such as deceleration.

Now, to add to that (should I apply for a patent..lol) couple that motor to a battery and use the motor in a regenerative mode to capture the surge energy, charging the battery. The battery could then be used to power the motor when needed to reduce lag. Could bring new meaning to the phrase "hybrid turbo".
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Interesting, the electric assist at low rpms, and the electric motor powered backwards to slow the turbo during surge situations such as deceleration.

Now, to add to that (should I apply for a patent..lol) couple that motor to a battery and use the motor in a regenerative mode to capture the surge energy, charging the battery. The battery could then be used to power the motor when needed to reduce lag. Could bring new meaning to the phrase "hybrid turbo".
    That would be interesting for sure. I have had a good time doind the patent search thus far. There is some interesting stuff out there. There was one idea for a WGA bracket that I really liked.

turbo addict

Compressor surge prevention isn't hard..

Choose the compressor wheel that match your needs instead of buying whatever used and cheap.