Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you think you have oil pressure gauge issues-read here!!!!

turbo addict

Re: If you think you have oil pressure guage issues-read here!!!!

yea like i said i have waaay more than this 5 psi idle i been seeing. I have 20-30 at idle hot. Well guess im safe anyway lol. 5 seems low anyway though. Maybe its ok for these engines, but really try finding any other engine where 5 psi is hot idle and its hard pressed, im shocked 5 is what it is. Heck i had a 92 5 speed cavlaier that was 15 at idle and the only reason i had checked that was i incured a knock and wanted to see whatmy pressure was and that was with a dealer gauge at the place i was at at the time so i know that was accurate.

As Simon indicated, your engine only requires 10 PSI per 1000 RPMs. Any more and you are robbing HP.

Also, we ONLY recommend using the Mopar turbo oil pumps. High Volume oil pumps, like Mellings, will drain your pan of oil very quickly. You will increase the chance of sucking air if the RPMs are high and you are in a long sweeping turn. Installing High capacity oil pans and/or baffles will decrease the chances of that happening.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    As Simon indicated, your engine only requires 10 PSI per 1000 RPMs. Any more and you are robbing HP.

Also, we ONLY recommend using the Mopar turbo oil pumps. High Volume oil pumps, like Mellings, will drain your pan of oil very quickly. You will increase the chance of sucking air if the RPMs are high and you are in a long sweeping turn. Installing High capacity oil pans and/or baffles will decrease the chances of that happening.

Chris-TU
    Plus I would think like running thicker oil, it adds stress to the gears,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

thick oil is unnecessary anyway. Point of oil is to lubricate the thousandths of inch gap between bearings and crank so thick oil is actually bad idea, especially in cold weather. Dry start is inevitable with thick oil.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Plus I would think like running thicker oil, it adds stress to the gears,
    It does. My neighbor's '61 Bel Air has one in it (built 400 SBC), it's worn out 3 distributor gears and a cam. I told him the only way to stop it is to change to a stock oil pump, but apparently he doesn't mind it that bad High volume pumps were originally for old or loose engines (ie race engines) that had larger clearances. W/ the tight clearances you can build an engine to these days, standard volume pumps are all you need.

Also, I've seen several brand new Melling oil pumps fail in less than a hundred miles. I won't use another, I'll rebuild a stock one first.

turbo addict

yea i always stick with stock pumps too. Heck with high pressure pumps.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turzbo View Post
    i have 91 shadow instaled a mechanical oil pressure and runnin any were between 50 to 70 psi when cold and 20 to 30 warm over since oin change with luc oil stabalizer now if i take a corrner any faster than 20 or 30 kh it dipps down to 15 or 20 psi and oil light comes on then goes out also i hamered on it the othe day and the moter bogged down half way to 110 and oil psi dipped to 15psi flashed light i let off and psi went back up and then tweeked between 40 an 30 psi till i got to the junk yard could this be a bad oil pump?????
    Oil pumps rarely go bad. Loss of pressure is from another source, worn cam journals, worn bearings, etc. Also sounds like its low on oil. Check with a mechanical guage. Or better yet, install a permanent one.

turbo addict

I am into a bit of weirdness now. I have a Y fitting screwed into my block with 2 sender/sensors on it. Both single wire, I thought one was the low pressure switch and one was the gauge sender. I knocked the connector tab off one of them when working on it last, so I was expecting to be driving round with the oil light lit... but nope and the gauge still "sort of works" like it did before...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12